Asrock's Nucky day - New SBC with Intel 11th gen CPU

williamcll

YPdy2nCJwWGNwYkD7fge2a-650-80.jpg

ASRock has annouced that they are going to release new NUCs based off the 10nm intel tiger Lake CPU and it packs some rather useful I/Os

ASRock's NUC 1100-series motherboards are powered by Intel’s latest Core i3/i5/i7-1100 or Celeron 6305E ‘Tiger Lake’ processors with two or four Willow Cove cores, as well as an integrated GPU featuring the Xe-LP architecture and up to 96 EUs. The platforms come with two slots for up to 64 GB of dual-channel DDR4-3200 memory, an M.2-2280 slot for an SSD (with a PCIe 4.0 x4 or SATA interface), a SATA 3.0 connector for an additional drive, and an M.2-2230 slot for a CNVi Wi-Fi module. While the TGL-U processors were designed primarily for notebooks, they tend to get hot when fully loaded, so a proper cooler is needed. The ASRock NUC 1100-series motherboards measure 4.09×4.02 inches and come equipped with the Delta bsc0805ha-00 blower-type cooling system to ensure that the Tiger Lake-U CPUs with an up to 28W TDP are properly cooled to guarantee consistently high performance even under significant loads.

As far as connectivity is concerned, the ASRock NUC 1100 motherboard series offers a wide range of connectors, including one GbE LAN (controlled by the Intel I219LM with vPro or I219V chip without vPro), a 2.5 GbE port (enabled by the I225V controller), a Thunderbolt 3 connector, four display outputs (DisplayPort 1.4++, HDMI 2.0, TB3), five USB 3.2 Gen 2 ports (four USB Type-A, one USB Type-C), and a 3.5-mm audio jack for headsets. Also, the motherboards have internal USB 2.0 and RS-232 headers.

2BcjFPMpfYq695HmEPaaiZ-650-80.jpg

Source:https://www.tomshardware.com/news/asrock-preps-tiger-lake-based-nuc-motherboards-willow-cove-and-iris-xe-gpu-in-desktop-pcs

Thoughts: A mighty little machine for those that might need to build their own router or Server, though I would imagine the price not might be the most comfortable with some. Also, I guess I have to make my own Case for this PC as well?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

7 minutes ago, williamcll said:

ASRock has annouced that they are going to release new NUCs based off the 10nm intel tiger Lake CPU and it packs some rather useful I/Os

Source:https://www.tomshardware.com/news/asrock-preps-tiger-lake-based-nuc-motherboards-willow-cove-and-iris-xe-gpu-in-desktop-pcs

Thoughts: A mighty little machine for those that might need to build their own router or Server, though I would imagine the price not might be the most comfortable with some. Also, I guess I have to make my own Case for this PC as well?

Intel have a nasty habit of not releasing any Windows Server drivers for NUCs and changing Hardware IDs to prevent existing drivers from working too, all despite the fact the hardware itself is perfectly capable of functioning on Windows Server.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

12 minutes ago, williamcll said:

a Thunderbolt 3 connector

Now that's something that you don't typically get in these! I don't think I've actually yet seen any x86-64 SBC with Thunderbolt before. That alone makes this interesting, allowing for reasonably easy expansion of capabilities with e.g. a dGPU.

I don't like the fact that the power-in port is right smack in the middle of all the ports, though. That's just annoying.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

6 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I don't like the fact that the power-in port is right smack in the middle of all the ports, though. That's just annoying.

It’s not? The picture shows 2 sides of the NUC, the power port is actually on the edge of one side like you would expect, unless I am seeing it wrong.

3 minutes ago, The_russian said:

It’s not? The picture shows 2 sides of the NUC, the power port is actually on the edge of one side like you would expect, unless I am seeing it wrong.

Nevermind, yes, I was just blindly looking at the row of ports in the bottom.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.