Friend with brain tumor in need

sradamdrake

Hi Linus friends sorry if I am doing this wrong, this is my first time on the forum just to ask for help. Without blasting all of my friend, Isaac's, business here is what you need to know: he's in his early 40's and is going through his second recurrence of brain cancer. The tumor is on his motor strip which has paralyzed his right side almost completely unusable and now has to relearn to live with only his left hand while still working full time to pay for his treatments. There is some good news in that I guess his cancer is a mutation so it's more susceptible to chemo which changed his prognosis from a terminal sentence to being hopeful that he'll be able to pull through again. However the doctor said he probably won't ever get his right side back and if he does it will be very limited but we can only find out after his treatment. So I've been trying to find stuff to help him to game again since he isn't left to do much else. Right now his limited to games that only need the basic point and click with mice. I bought him Frostpunk and This War of Mine but besides those all he's been able to play is Sid Civ 6 and Among Us. Sorry for the long intro but wanted you to know what I'm working with here. Right now he's been using a logitech G300s but I was hunting though some old Linus vids and showed him the Keymouse from the vid "This KEYBOARD has a BUILT IN MOUSE" which he seemed interested in but he was concerned that it might still require the right half to function properly and the $500 price tag. We live in the USA btw. So I was going to try and convince a couple friends to all pitch in and buy it but got stopped by the fact its sold out and $500 split five ways is a lot for something that might not work. So I was looking at stuff like the Razer Nastromo, Razer Orbweaver, Razer Tartarus and Delux T9 but none of them have built in mice and the ones that have the joysticks that would enable him to play other genres of games again still require a mouse in the right hand. So we managed to find this "Gaming Mouse with 5 D Rocker, TRELC Ergonomic Mouse with 10000 DPI/11 Programmable Buttons, RGB Vertical Gaming Mice Wired for PC/Laptop/E-Sports/Gamer" on Amazon which meets the joystick and the mouse, it only has 4 buttons including the standard left and right click and it's only right handed. So where my research is coming up not very helpful I'm hoping the Linus family can help my friend out. Does anyone know of anything that might help him play some of his old games again? Thanks for any help.

Welcome to the forums!

I have no idea as peripherals are not my forte, but I'm sure someone here will know.

I do like the idea of a mouse with a bunch of buttons + some keyboard that makes sense for one handed operation.

Like you said a joystick could be an interesting peripheral to add since everything is accessible from there. You can play pretty much every aviation game out there if you grab a Joystick with enough (say 12+ buttons).

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Pedals perhaps?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

How about tobii eyetracker?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

9 hours ago, sradamdrake said:

Hi Linus friends sorry if I am doing this wrong, this is my first time on the forum just to ask for help. Without blasting all of my friend, Isaac's, business here is what you need to know: he's in his early 40's and is going through his second recurrence of brain cancer. The tumor is on his motor strip which has paralyzed his right side almost completely unusable and now has to relearn to live with only his left hand while still working full time to pay for his treatments. There is some good news in that I guess his cancer is a mutation so it's more susceptible to chemo which changed his prognosis from a terminal sentence to being hopeful that he'll be able to pull through again. However the doctor said he probably won't ever get his right side back and if he does it will be very limited but we can only find out after his treatment. So I've been trying to find stuff to help him to game again since he isn't left to do much else. Right now his limited to games that only need the basic point and click with mice. I bought him Frostpunk and This War of Mine but besides those all he's been able to play is Sid Civ 6 and Among Us. Sorry for the long intro but wanted you to know what I'm working with here. Right now he's been using a logitech G300s but I was hunting though some old Linus vids and showed him the Keymouse from the vid "This KEYBOARD has a BUILT IN MOUSE" which he seemed interested in but he was concerned that it might still require the right half to function properly and the $500 price tag. We live in the USA btw. So I was going to try and convince a couple friends to all pitch in and buy it but got stopped by the fact its sold out and $500 split five ways is a lot for something that might not work. So I was looking at stuff like the Razer Nastromo, Razer Orbweaver, Razer Tartarus and Delux T9 but none of them have built in mice and the ones that have the joysticks that would enable him to play other genres of games again still require a mouse in the right hand. So we managed to find this "Gaming Mouse with 5 D Rocker, TRELC Ergonomic Mouse with 10000 DPI/11 Programmable Buttons, RGB Vertical Gaming Mice Wired for PC/Laptop/E-Sports/Gamer" on Amazon which meets the joystick and the mouse, it only has 4 buttons including the standard left and right click and it's only right handed. So where my research is coming up not very helpful I'm hoping the Linus family can help my friend out. Does anyone know of anything that might help him play some of his old games again? Thanks for any help.

I wish he recover soon asap 

Thank you four for the replies. He has considered pedals before. I didn't consider a joystick and will have to look some up. And I've never heard of the tobii eye tracker before and will have to look into it. Thank you guys again.

@sradamdrake Make sure the stick is either ambidextrous or left handed. With HOSAS setups being a think is space games, that's actually more common than it used to be, but always check. 

You might also look into voice controls with something like Voice Attack: VoiceAttack - Voice Recognition for your Games and Apps
https://voiceattack.com/

I think, with a left handed stick and the right Voice Attack pack, he could potentially play something like Star Wars Squadrons pretty effectively. 

• 2 years later...