1440p: Is going from a 4690k to a 4790K until the next big releases a good idea?

I don't like to upgrade frequently so I am waiting for big releases here is my reasoning for going from my 4690K to a 4790K:

• Saying things like "upgrade now to Ryzen 3600x (or 4600x once launched) because if you wait for the AM5 first launch its going to be outdated also in XXX months anyway" doesn't mean much to me because I am looking at massive architectural changes not refreshes. We are talking about big PCI,RAM general chipset technology upgrades and so on.
  • AMD: Killing off AM4 this year which means that in 2021 if I were to go red I will have good CPU upgrades for a while due to the brand new socket lifespan.
  • Intel: Is still somewhat competitive with Ryzen even though they are still refreshing CPUs while still on 14nm. In 2021 when they switch to 10nm it will be a massive jump and could be very promising if it is paired with good architecture upgrades. 
  •  Going to get great benefits from new sockets
  • I can buy a 4790K for $150 and sell it for at least $100 when I choose to upgrade making the effective temporary upgrade cost $50 for twice the threads 
  • I have a GTX 1080 and the 4690K just isnt quite enough to push it anymore
  • I play at 1440p so going with a 3600x or a 10600K isnt a HUGE improvement anyway
  • I find myself multitasking more so this is a quick and easy way to increase productivity a bit without having to close every single program to game. 
  • Of course I get to keep my mobo and ram for another 1.5 or so years. 

I think these are very strong reasons but am I missing anything big?

My Concerns:

• How much of a performance loss am I going to have a 1440p (144hz) without just upgrading platforms now is it like 20+FPS?
  • The 4790K is going for $150 and I just feel guilty buying it at that much even though I can resell it because I can probably get a used 3600x for 170.

I feel like I am in a tough spot because I don't want to buy a 10600K / 3600x or even the 4600x later this year because they are basically milked out and on their last legs in my opinion. 

Better go for Zen 3 than the first gen of AM5 IMHO. AM5 will bring DDR5 along with it, and its likely that such hardware changes won't be smooth initially. DDR5 RAM will be the first time that RAM can be read and written at the same time.

Hard to say how much performance you're losing by sticking with your 4690K, but the difference is not trivial compared with Zen 3 or 10900K. 

I would say - upgrade CPU\Motherboard\RAM, see if your GPU holds up for the games you play, and then upgrade GPU at a later date. 

12 minutes ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

I don't like to upgrade frequently so I am waiting for big releases here is my reasoning for going from my 4690K to a 4790K:

• Saying things like "upgrade now to Ryzen 3600x (or 4600x once launched) because if you wait for the AM5 first launch its going to be outdated also in XXX months anyway" doesn't mean much to me because I am looking at massive architectural changes not refreshes. We are talking about big PCI,RAM general chipset technology upgrades and so on.
  • AMD: Killing off AM4 this year which means that in 2021 if I were to go red I will have good CPU upgrades for a while due to the brand new socket lifespan.
  • Intel: Is still somewhat competitive with Ryzen even though they are still refreshing CPUs while still on 14nm. In 2021 when they switch to 10nm it will be a massive jump and could be very promising if it is paired with good architecture upgrades. 
  •  Going to get great benefits from new sockets
  • I can buy a 4790K for $150 and sell it for at least $100 when I choose to upgrade making the effective temporary upgrade cost $50 for twice the threads 
  • I have a GTX 1080 and the 4690K just isnt quite enough to push it anymore
  • I play at 1440p so going with a 3600x or a 10600K isnt a HUGE improvement anyway
  • I find myself multitasking more so this is a quick and easy way to increase productivity a bit without having to close every single program to game. 
  • Of course I get to keep my mobo and ram for another 1.5 or so years. 

I think these are very strong reasons but am I missing anything big?

My Concerns:

• How much of a performance loss am I going to have a 1440p (144hz) without just upgrading platforms now is it like 20+FPS?
  • The 4790K is going for $150 and I just feel guilty buying it at that much even though I can resell it because I can probably get a used 3600x for 170.

I feel like I am in a tough spot because I don't want to buy a 10600K / 3600x or even the 4600x later this year because they are basically milked out and on their last legs in my opinion. 

it defiantly depends on the game, but it is definitely a bottleneck. That said... is your FPS actually not enough for you? If its working "fine" for you - its fine, if not - best upgrade.

Too bad they don't have an older 4 core/thread intel part in here...

image.png.f0e2ff83816bdc420d010a4534c1dada.png

And that is with a 2080 ti........ but for more reading you can read the full review here: https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3412-intel-i7-2600k-revisit-2018-benchmarks-vs-9900k-ryzen-more

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

33 minutes ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

if that's the case for 50$ it's a nice band aid but personally i'd sell the whole DDR3 combo and get ryzen 4000 later...

i had 4770K 4.3ghz before and in many open world games it couldn't keep up with my 1080ti at 1440p so i upgraded it,.

Also, it's more in SMOOTHNESS and frametimes that you get consistency...more than "''average FPS +20'' or shit like that...

a quad-core is a quad-core...you want more.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

2 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

it defiantly depends on the game, but it is definitely a bottleneck. That said... is your FPS actually not enough for you? If its working "fine" for you - its fine, if not - best upgrade.

I find its either a it runs great and no complaints or a its pretty bad experience type of thing. My issue with gaming is that sometimes depending on the game, especially CPU bound ones the GPU usage is on the low side. Also I have more chrome windows and tabs open then I used to so I am often sitting at around 20% usage. So if I want to play a AAA game I need to close them out. This sucks because with my online classes that means lectures, programs, e books and so on have to go and then when I am done I need to re open them all, find my place in the videos and so on. Even some of my favorite pass time games from not too long ago like Battlefield 4 has its moments with a couple programs running.

So lets assume from that its best I upgrade. Is a 4790K a decent way to keep her running a bit longer in your opinion? 

1 minute ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

So lets assume from that its best I upgrade. Is a 4790K a decent way to keep her running a bit longer in your opinion? 

not really.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

16 minutes ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

4 core is a 4 core. Multithreading can help a bit, but if you expect a big jump, won't happen.

I say just wait a bit and sell everything to get a fresher build.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

3 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

if that's the case for 50$ it's a nice band aid but personally i'd sell the whole DDR3 combo and get ryzen 4000 later...

i had 4770K 4.3ghz before and in many open world games it couldn't keep up with my 1080ti at 1440p so i upgraded it,.

Also, it's more in SMOOTHNESS and frametimes that you get consistency...more than "''average FPS +20'' or shit like that...

a quad-core is a quad-core...you want more.

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

not really.

A 4600x seems like a good choice for an "immediate" system overall considering its piratically right around the corner and the list of benefits we could go on about vs my old platform... Additionally I am sure average lows will be much better as you mentioned this is defiantly a weak point for quad cores. 

But if I do go that route I feel like I will be stuck on a bad upgrade timeline. Look at it this way, wait until next overall form Intel and AMD then I get a brand new socket, great upgrade path permanently because I can just upgrade up 2 series of AMD chips until the next overhaul and so on. 

Upgrade to 4600x: No more CPU refresh upgrades, will be basically left in the dust by mid 2022 latest and I will probably be in the same spot I am in now in 2-3 years.

19 minutes ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

Upgrade to 4600x: No more CPU refresh upgrades, will be basically left in the dust by mid 2022 latest and I will probably be in the same spot I am in now in 2-3 years.

if you can get 8 core/16 threads while you're at it...it'll serve you in the long run and the price difference usually ain't that much.

40 minutes ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

I find its either a it runs great and no complaints or a its pretty bad experience type of thing. My issue with gaming is that sometimes depending on the game, especially CPU bound ones the GPU usage is on the low side. Also I have more chrome windows and tabs open then I used to so I am often sitting at around 20% usage. So if I want to play a AAA game I need to close them out. This sucks because with my online classes that means lectures, programs, e books and so on have to go and then when I am done I need to re open them all, find my place in the videos and so on. Even some of my favorite pass time games from not too long ago like Battlefield 4 has its moments with a couple programs running.

I would think it would make more sense to just get a new mobo and something like a 3700... Sure, you will be missing out on potentially new stuff, but if your at the point where your PC is not really fast enough to do what you expect it to be doing - thats a good time to upgrade regardless of what the future holds. You can wait forever in this industry for the next cool thing, or you can spend your ~300 bucks now and get a very solid upgrade that will handle all the chrome tabs and pdf's as you could possibly want while giving your games a solid boost. You can likely sell your mobo and CPU for ~100 bucks, that would heavily offset your AMD investment.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

My personal opinion is that you should go with a ryzen board that is backwards and forwards compatible and get the cheapest cpu you can for it until 4000 or whatever they call it comes out.

I went that route a gen ago, spent £50 on a 1200 or equivalent (I forget) and only lost £10 on it, swapped to 3600 which still sells new for the £180 I paid for it etc.

The compatibility with multiple boards means they hold value really well and will do for another year or two.

The other angle is what are intel promising any time soon? PCIe4 may also be a consideration.

Edited by Grafter67
forgot the 4000 bit

21 minutes ago, Grafter67 said:

My personal opinion is that you should go with a ryzen board that is backwards and forwards compatible and get the cheapest cpu you can for it until 4000 or whatever they call it comes out.

I went that route a gen ago, spent £50 on a 1200 or equivalent (I forget) and only lost £10 on it, swapped to 3600 which still sells new for the £180 I paid for it etc.

The compatibility with multiple boards means they hold value really well and will do for another year or two.

The other angle is what are intel promising any time soon? PCIe4 may also be a consideration.

Well the current speculated release date of the 4600x is early October and I can hold out until then. This 4600x is the last CPU that will work with the current motherboard socket because it is coming out so soon I am unsure what to do.

The important part is In 1-2 years ryzen 5000 comes out with a new socket that will hopefully last just as long as the AM4 did which was form your old 1200 all the way to the 4600 that comes out next month. I am not sure what Intel is doing anytime soon. 

7 minutes ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

Well the current speculated release date of the 4600x is early October and I can hold out until then. This 4600x is the last CPU that will work with the current motherboard socket because it is coming out so soon I am unsure what to do.

The important part is In 1-2 years ryzen 5000 comes out with a new socket that will hopefully last just as long as the AM4 did which was form your old 1200 all the way to the 4600 that comes out next month. I am not sure what Intel is doing anytime soon. 

That gives you a month and probably more to figure out what mobo you might like and check ram prices etc. I only mentioned last/current gen ryzen in case you didn't want to wait. I'm confident you could move platforms now and lose almost nothing on the cpu when selling it on.

Edit : I have heard rumors of a new amd mobo that will be forward compatible, but am sceptical. I would not count on that before announcement

Edited by Grafter67

10 hours ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

I suggest go for 8 core Zen 3 CPU rather than 6 core Zen 3 CPU, as new consoles from Sony and Microsoft  coming out this year are 8-core AMD parts.

I would expect newer games to be optimized for 8-core in the next 4-5 years, which is an expected life for an 8-core part like 3700X, or it’s Zen 3 counterpart.