Your unpopular (non-political, non-offensive) opinions!

pythonmegapixel

For the vast majority of users, ATX mobos are a waste of space. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Just now, gloop said:

Few modern games are actually good and ones that I enjoy

I enjoy overwatch and r6 siege

but I agree a lot of free to play are garbage (fortnite and more)

Just now, Real_PhillBert said:

ATX mobos are a waste of space. 

yes!! a matx board is good enough for me

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

13 minutes ago, Rybo said:

Now hol' up there, pardner.  What kinda Altima are we talkin' about here?  I've had their V6 trim with a CVT and it was freakin' sweet.  

It's freakin' sweet until the repair bill to replace a transmission comes in.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

If a unpopular opinion gets lots of reactions and love is it still a unpopular opinion? will it be removed from this thread as it became popular?

want to install chrome os? here's how.

"If elevators hadn't been invented, all the CEOs and important people would have their offices on the first floor as a sign of status...........

....And the entry level employees would be up on the 80th floor."

1 minute ago, handymanshandle said:

It's freakin' sweet until the repair bill to replace a transmission comes in.

Really?  Never had a problem with mine, and I had it for what feels like 5 or so years.  Guess I got a diamond in the rough.  

I have heard mixed things about CVT reliability, though, so your point is taken.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

1 minute ago, Rybo said:

Really?  Never had a problem with mine, and I had it for what feels like 5 or so years.  Guess I got a diamond in the rough.  

I have heard mixed things about CVT reliability, though, so your point is taken.  

Yeah, for what it's worth, Nissan's CVTs are really iffy. Most transmissions like it have been over the years and overall, they really like when you keep up their maintenance. 

Hawaiian pizza is actually pretty splendid.

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

#MuricaParrotGang

The meme thread

All of my image memes are made with GIMP.

My specs are crap but if you are interested:

Spoiler

The meme-making machine - Optiplex 780:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

GPU: NVidia Quadro FX 580

RAM: 2 GB

SSD: Non-existent

HDD: 1 TB

Laptop: HP 255 G7

CPU: Ryzen 5 3500U

GPU: Radeon Vega 8

RAM: 8 GB

SSD: 500 GB NVMe

6 minutes ago, Benji said:

The thing with maintenance does not only apply to specific transmissions, it applies to all types. Even a manual transmission will like an oil change once in a while, there is a significantly noticeable difference after doing that. And Volkswagens double-clutches especially love that, although the one with the dry clutch from smaller engine cars (DQ200) is always trash and known to be incredibly unreliable. Basically everything in a car likes to be maintained properly, and if it is properly designed, matched and maintained, it is basically the cars body work that fails instead of engine, the entire suspension system or transmission.

Oh, of course. I wasn't implying that you can ignore service on a car period, was mainly making the point that trying to push the limits of it will cost you quite dearly as those transmissions can be quite temperamental. 

17 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

Yeah, for what it's worth, Nissan's CVTs are really iffy. Most transmissions like it have been over the years and overall, they really like when you keep up their maintenance. 

I had a 09' Nissan Sentra which I THINK had a CVT in it but I can't remember off hand that I never had issues with BUT I kept it in good shape and only put ~45K miles on it in the 8 years I had it. I never had any major issues overall either (aside the paint peeling at the end) but I sold it back in January and grabbed the last 2019 model on the lot, lol. I was really iffy about the new 2020 model's new engine though otherwise I might have waited for those to drop. I've seen mention of the issues you mentioned though so I'll keep my fingers crossed :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Red :) said:

Hawaiian pizza is actually pretty splendid.

image.jpeg.293e65b1124c1061881c001e283aa828.jpeg

want to install chrome os? here's how.

"If elevators hadn't been invented, all the CEOs and important people would have their offices on the first floor as a sign of status...........

....And the entry level employees would be up on the 80th floor."

RGB isn't always as bad as people make it out to be

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 hours ago, mousesnob said:

Isnt hollandaise just butter?

does that matter? because it's delicious

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

3 minutes ago, Benji said:

Not necessarily, but it is bad that everybody is being forced on it and you can't avoid it at any cost, it is even factory-enabled on every part that you buy. Every part that isn't absolute low-end trash will have some form of RGB.

Got a new mouse the other day; when you install the software the option to disable RGB is bascially the first thing you see after it detects the mouse. So Logitech at least realises that not everybody wants this stuff.

Personally I turned it off because I can detect the PWM flickering if it's not on full brightness, and full brightness is a bit bright for me. But to each their own.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

4 minutes ago, Benji said:

Not necessarily, but it is bad that everybody is being forced on it and you can't avoid it at any cost, it is even factory-enabled on every part that you buy. Every part that isn't absolute low-end trash will have some form of RGB.

I have a Ryzen 7 3700x, Noctua NH-D15, RTX 2080 Ti, an x570 motherboard, and a bunch of 140mm fractal design fans.  The only RGB on it is a little streak of blue lights on the motherboard.  

There are probably some products that don't let you avoid RGB, but the commodities are still perfectly available w/o it.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

Just now, Rybo said:

I have a Ryzen 7 3700x, Noctua NH-D15, RTX 2080 Ti, an x570 motherboard, and a bunch of 140mm fractal design fans.  The only RGB on it is a little streak of blue lights on the motherboard.  

There are probably some products that don't let you avoid RGB, but the commodities are still perfectly available w/o it.  

RGB CPU!!! :P

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

RGB CPU!!! :P

Sssh, don't give them ideas :)

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Pep Guardiola is massively overrated and is actually an average manager who just copies what Cruyff did.  

And Lewis Hamilton is a good driver with the best car, nothing more.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

Ryzen platforms are a pain in the arse.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Interesting... could you elaborate a little (not meaning to sound rude)?

pythonmegapixel

6 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Can confirm based on my own and my boyfriend's experiences with Ryzen. 

It's a shame that they're fiddly as fuck, because they're really good otherwise.

I've got another: liking weird and hipsterey things just to look cool doesn't make you look cool, it just makes you look dense.

40 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Interesting... could you elaborate a little (not meaning to sound rude)?

It's just a pain to get working. You could probably call me the resident Ryzen hater on the forum at this point, but it's not a platform I would recommend first time builders or my friends or family to get. Especially with fourth gen just around the corner, I predict we're going to see a ton of unhappy customers around here when they receiver older boards that don't have the required BIOS update to run those chips. RAM compatibility is also very fiddly. Unlike generations that preceded it, you can't really just throw whatever RAM in it and it'll still post. It's a platform that you really need to spend the time to plan out properly and troubleshoot. 

Once it gets working, the performance is great. But just getting to that stage might be too much for the vast majority. Most people just want to play games, they wouldn't have a clue as to what XMP profiles are. But that's something that consistently comes up with Ryzen troubleshooting. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

5 hours ago, akio123008 said:

Yes. That's because ketchup ruins the flavour of the chips; the only thing you taste is the ketchup. On top of that it seems to make the chips less crispy. 

I have a different experience, and also don't find them to be less crispy after adding ketchup.

I actually generally eat fries/chips with mayonnaise and ketchup together. ;)

3 hours ago, Rybo said:

But yeah, anyone who prefers a manual on their daily driver clearly doesn't drive in stop and go traffic.  Spending 45 minutes barely even getting into 1st gear is a torture I would wish upon no-one.  

I love driving manual cars. I also quite like driving, but I wouldn't want to have to do it daily. I only drive on special occasions, for most things I just cycle, and to school I walk and/or cycle and use public transport. Because of that, driving stays special and fun to me. :)

And while we're at it, let's add a controversial opinion: I prefer diesel cars to petrol. In my experience, they are so much more responsive and feel much quicker than petrol cars. Also, they're less easy to stall. :P And I like the sound more. ;)

2 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

For the vast majority of users, ATX mobos are a waste of space. 

I agree, for most users an ATX board is "unnecessarily big", but on the other hand, generally cases only get taller, so if you have the space, you might as well get whatever is most competitively priced. My first board was a slimmer ATX board, so I got an ATX case. My second board (which I got for free) is an mATX board, so now the bottom half of my motherboard area is pretty much empty, as there's no motherboard and the GPU is in slots 1-2 instead of slots 2-3. :P

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7