Does my PSU give enough Wattage

Daan._official

Hello everyone, I have a question about my setup and need some advice on the PSU.

Recently I've updated my old rig and now it's like this:

MSI Z97 MPower Max AC 

I5 4670K OC'd @ 4,6 Ghz 1.33 V

Sapphire RX 580 8GB stock 

16 GB RAM DDR 3 (4 x 4 mix of Samsung and Crucial) @ 1833 Mhz with pretty high voltage (1.7 V or something)

Normal USB keyboard and mouse

Thermaltake Headset

1 TB Micron SSD

2 x 7400 RPM Western Digital Blue 1 TB SATA HDD

Presonus USB Audio with Midi keyboard, headset and condenser microphone plugged in

Yamaha HS5 Studio speakers (which use about 80 Watts)

Thermaltake Smart SE Bronze 530 Watts 

So that's a lot to take for 530 Watts. It does run stable, but I don't know if either of the components are running at their maximum operational speed.

I'm starting to get into overclocking and the GPU doesn't like an overclock. Maybe that's due to the fact that the Sapphire Radeon RX580's are already overclocked versions. But I just want some advice on that. If I fill in my setup on one of those websites with a general GPU overclock in mind, it says I need about 916 Watts. I also filled in a 24 inch LED Screen but maybe that's only for laptops. That would result in about a 160 Watt decrease. But the speakers then again add another 90. Which would mean I need a pretty large power supply. 

Thanks in advance. 

PSU Calculator 1.PNG

PSU Calculator 2.PNG

If you don't have any stability issues, why do you care? Also, those PSU calculators are mostly BS.

Note: Just buy some quality 750W Gold PSU and you will be okay forever.

CPU: Intel Core i7 8086K, Delidded with Der8auer Custom Nickel-Copper IHS and Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra CPU Cooling: Scythe Ninja 5 with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Taichi RAM: 2x16GB Kingston Predator DDR4 3200 MHz 15-17-17-36 GPU: Gainward RTX 2080 Phoenix GS with Raijintek Morpheus II Core Black Heatpipe VGA Cooler, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste and 2x Scythe Kaze Flex PWM 120mm fans Case: SilentiumPC Regnum RG4T Pure Black TG Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Samsung 970 EVO 500GB, Seagate ST4000DM 4TB HDD, Toshiba HDWD240 4TB HDD PSU: SilentiumPC Supremo FM2 Gold 750W Case Cooling: 6x Scythe Kaze Flex PWM 120mm fans Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Mechanical Keyboard Mouse: Trust GXT845 Tural Display: Sharp LC-50LD265E Operating System: Windows 10

Outverision power supply calculator is unrealistic at best, but when you feed it bad information by sliding the overclocking/voltage sliders to the max then you can't really blame it for giving you a completely bogus estimate. Unless you're doing liquid nitrogen overclocking on both the CPU and GPU you're not going to be seeing anywhere near 900W power draw from an i5 CPU and RX 580 graphics card.

7 minutes ago, Daan._official said:

I also filled in a 24 inch LED Screen but maybe that's only for laptops. That would result in about a 160 Watt decrease. But the speakers then again add another 90. Which would mean I need a pretty large power supply. 

Monitors are not powered by the computers power supply; they have their own power supply and cord. I also doubt your 24" LED monitor is drawing 160W. Where did you get that figure from?
Same goes for any speaker system that would draw 90W of power; you're not going to be drawing 90W through a 3.5mm audio jack or USB cable for a set of basic desktop speakers. The Yamaha speakers you list in your post have their own power supply and power cord that plug in to the wall. They don't receive power from the PC power supply.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

17 minutes ago, H6NS said:

If you don't have any stability issues, why do you care? Also, those PSU calculators are mostly BS.

Note: Just buy some quality 750W Gold PSU and you will be okay forever.

Because I want to overclock the gpu and other components further if it's possible 

20 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Outverision power supply calculator is unrealistic at best, but when you feed it bad information by sliding the overclocking/voltage sliders to the max then you can't really blame it for giving you a completely bogus estimate. Unless you're doing liquid nitrogen overclocking on both the CPU and GPU you're not going to be seeing anywhere near 900W power draw from an i5 CPU and RX 580 graphics card.

Monitors are not powered by the computers power supply; they have their own power supply and cord. I also doubt your 24" LED monitor is drawing 160W. Where did you get that figure from?
Same goes for any speaker system that would draw 90W of power; you're not going to be drawing 90W through a 3.5mm audio jack or USB cable for a set of basic desktop speakers. The Yamaha speakers you list in your post have their own power supply and power cord that plug in to the wall. They don't receive power from the PC power supply.

I got the figure from the same website, just leaving everything out and then just filling in that LED Screen. Your mention of the speakers is correct, I totally forgot about that. 

21 minutes ago, Spotty said:

But giving it max power and then adjusting the core and memory clock is the easiest way to overclock it right? 

1 hour ago, Daan._official said:

But giving it max power and then adjusting the core and memory clock is the easiest way to overclock it right? 

If you consider liquid nitrogen easy, then yes.

In overclocking you quite quickly hit a wall where a slight performance increase will increase power consumption by 20-100%. It makes no sense to go after those clockspeeds with a system you use daily with aircoolers. And amd gpu:s tend to respond better to undervolting than pushing everything as high as you can because then you are less likely to hit temperature limits.

Umm guys I'm a psu noob but aren't thermaltake known for making bad psus in general? If so it might be better to concentrate on that and get this poster a proper psu where they can do some basic overclocking...?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

21 hours ago, Daan._official said:

So that's a lot to take for 530 Watts.

not really. 

the issue is really the quality of that PSU. 

it being group regulated. id look at changing it at some point in the near future for a decent unit.

22 hours ago, Daan._official said:

Hello everyone, I have a question about my setup and need some advice on the PSU.

Recently I've updated my old rig and now it's like this:

MSI Z97 MPower Max AC 

I5 4670K OC'd @ 4,6 Ghz 1.33 V

Sapphire RX 580 8GB stock 

16 GB RAM DDR 3 (4 x 4 mix of Samsung and Crucial) @ 1833 Mhz with pretty high voltage (1.7 V or something)

Normal USB keyboard and mouse

Thermaltake Headset

1 TB Micron SSD

2 x 7400 RPM Western Digital Blue 1 TB SATA HDD

Presonus USB Audio with Midi keyboard, headset and condenser microphone plugged in

Yamaha HS5 Studio speakers (which use about 80 Watts)

So that's a lot to take for 530 Watts. It does run stable, but I don't know if either of the components are running at their maximum operational speed.

I'm starting to get into overclocking and the GPU doesn't like an overclock. Maybe that's due to the fact that the Sapphire Radeon RX580's are already overclocked versions. But I just want some advice on that. If I fill in my setup on one of those websites with a general GPU overclock in mind, it says I need about 916 Watts. I also filled in a 24 inch LED Screen but maybe that's only for laptops. That would result in about a 160 Watt decrease. But the speakers then again add another 90. Which would mean I need a pretty large power supply. 

Thanks in advance. 

PSU Calculator 1.PNG

PSU Calculator 2.PNG

Seasonic PSU calculator. 

Load wattage is 460W

Recommended PSU wattage is 510W

Seasonic recommends a 650W PSU for your build.

Which was were I was leaning for a recommendation based on your system and future upgrades etc so it is realistic.

Recommended PSU wattage for an RX 580 is 550W, so there is that.... Want more headroom then get a 650W.

Whatever you do get a HIGH QUALITY PSU.

Something from Tier A or B

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

Now that PSU calculator that he used is on the high side, I plugged in my system, I know what mine actually pulls wattage wise, 550W+ Gaming and 660W+ full load.... With my actual settings that I use...

Compare that to what they say...

https://outervision.com/b/kVl3qL

I don't need a 1200W PSU.. I am running a 850W and it's fine, the 750W I was running was a little tight for my system at around 75% load for my gaming load so.....

But anyway, yeah they seem to inflate it more than I would recommend... 

Their recommended PSU wattage isn't that far off at 966W (1000W) from my 850W PSU however..... 116W difference really isn't that bad really.... Considering the variables...

It was that recommended 1200 PSU they picked that was way over the top...

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.