What do you think of LTT sponsored videos?

arisreddy

I have been noticing from the LG Mobile sponsored video that people are generally more negative towards the sponsored videos whether they fit into the potential buyer segment or not. Linus has been a bit biased towards LG from those ultrawide monitor days and if I am not wrong LG had the most sponsored videos on LTT. I have never been offended by it or have never seen them hiding facts in the sponsored videos. Today's Chevy Volt video is awesome but due to the negativity surrounding the issue with Tesla and some people blindly thinking that this is a Chevy ad are reacting super negatively towards the video and in a tweet LTT confirmed they wont be doing more videos in this segment

I personally don't mind the sponsored videos and am a Fan of LG for the TVs and don't mind them. Regarding Tesla? I want to hear the other side of the argument as well.

What are your thoughts?

Ps. If anyone from LMG is watching this, you guys rock. You are the only channel with quality content even during the lock down with no one releasing anything new. Keep rocking guys.

3 minutes ago, arisreddy said:

I thought the Chevy volt video was pretty good. I don't mind them branching away from the normal tech every so often, especially when it's executed so professionally. I thought the DJI sponsorship in this video was great- not too obtrusive, but worked well at showing the excellent potential of their products.

As far as the LG sponsorship, it is becoming rather noticeable. Most videos ive clicked on recently, I've been able to correctly guess immediately that it's sponsored by LG. I've enjoyed videos like the TV viewing distance one, it's the more obviously sponsored content that is less enjoyable. However, I understand that LMG is a big company now with lots of staff to pay, and I can fully understand the need for this content. It can be a bit disappointing when I click on a video expecting a review, to only find a sponsored 'showcase,' but at the end of the day it doesn't harm me (I can just not watch it) and I'm happy the LMG team can get payed to continue making other excellent content

PC

Ryzen 5 2600 Stock

Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition Radeon RX580 8GB (Would Recommend)

Gigabyte B450M DS3H (Don't recommend)

Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz CL15 

Phanteks P300 (Would Recommend)

Kingston A400 240GB SSD

Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD

Corsair CX550M 550W  80+ Bronze

Deepcool FH-10 Fan Hub

3x BeQuiet Pure Wings 2

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/marmour/saved/QTY3ZL

Peripherals

LG 24MK400H

Logitech G413 Carbon

Logitech G305 (AAA Adaptor - 10g reduction) (Would recommend)

Logitech Z150

HyperX Cloud II (Would recommend)

Moto G5 Plus (Webcam)

Phone

Pixel 3A XL (Would recommend)

*Useful Link* PSU Tier List: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

17 minutes ago, arisreddy said:

What do you think of LTT sponsored videos?

There are about a billion threads about those here in the forums already, so I don't really see the need for yet another one. This in mind, I'll just quickly recap what I've said before: I don't care. I skip 99% of all the sponsored videos because they're neither informative or have any entertainment-value. Also, since I am a semi-functional adult and have the needed mental capacity for skipping such videos, I have zero reason to get upset over them, either.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I really loved LTT's car segment, this was a discontinued car, and Linus was enjoying explaining his rationale. I'm disappointed by how people have responded calling this an ad, and am sad that they might discontinue this. I'd say this was the best cinematography in an LTT video by far.

@LinusTech was on top in narration, great direction by @AlexTheGreatish and great work by the team altogether. I still hope that they do not let go of this segment. Please...

As long as the sponsorship is known about, so can be used to weight the info provided, I don't mind.

The channel has enough good will from me that I'll take the info as honest evaluation, and I'm usually more interested in the genral concepts than the specifc products.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

I think people are complaining about the Chevy Volt Video being an Ad mostly because production wise it looks like an ad. Sure DJI sponsored the Video, but DJI has no interest in making Chevy look good. Everything talking about the Car should be Linus's opinion and not sponsored talking points.

I didn't really get the LG livestream.

5 minute CES video ads (which is basically what those trade show videos are)? meh, barely watch those.

Half an hour video that is basically a full LG ad? doesn't interest me.

The title doesn't describe the video content either, so people probably just thought "this is something boring, so they gave it a sensational title to draw us in", but people didn't actually click.

Plus, people that did actually click probably left really quickly (maybe even quick enough for their view not to count).

While I - and hopefully others - appreciate the effort companies like LG are taking to still have a resemblance of a conference in these times, it's just not something productive from a YouTube standpoint.

'Normally', people like Linus and such would be actually walking around a both, looking at all the stuff, trying it out, etc. and giving their opinion. It's impossible to give an opinion on most of the items LG makes, since you actually have to experience them in real life.

It's impossible to comment on the clarity of a speaker, the colors of a TV, the refresh rate of a monitor or the construction quality of a phone through an online digital event. So why should we - the viewers - watch Linus experience it; while we might as well read about it through our preferred news platform?

Oh well, at least the title actually adressed the video topic; IFA. They described it, unlike all the other current LTT/TQ/TL/SC videos in the LTT forum sidebar:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.9457392f5da306c8e52bdb07eb85a6b0.png

bye bye - commitment to showing us viewers what we will be watching before clicking on the video 😔

P.S. what is "the M3 vid" the Tweet is talking about? I think I lack the context here.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

13 minutes ago, minibois said:

P.S. what is "the M3 vid" the Tweet is talking about? I think I lack the context here.

A Video about the Tesla Model 3. Linus talks about it in the Chevy Volt Video.

There was nothing about the Volt video that suggested it was an ad, to me anyways. It was sponsored by DJI and that kind of dictated how or why certain shots were chosen. And Linus outlined his rationale for his purchase, as well as things he liked and disliked about it. It is basically a reference point for the upcoming Tesla video.

As for videos that are produced outright as a sponsored video, I typically don't watch those. While they may be informative in a vague sense towards a product and their features, the crux of entertainment and knowledge in videos is from getting legitimate and spontaneous pros and cons via LTT staff, whether live or scripted.

I think people are complaining about the Chevy Volt video as an advertisement because the clever product looks like an ad. Sure, DJI sponsors the video, but DJI isn’t interested in watching the video live. Everyone who talks about the car should think Lennus and not the point of the sponsored discussion. best vpn deals

42 minutes ago, DivusJulius said:

Well that makes a lot more sense, I have never heard the model 3 called an M3, I was wondering why they would choose a BMW M3 as the next car in the series.

LTT isn’t really an impartial or trusted source of unbiased information.

When your income is paid by the brands you review, your integrity on the matter is pretty much out the window and LTT is no different.

That said, if you keep that in mind and go to other more trusted sources for your purchase decisions you can enjoy LTT for what it is, entertainment.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Unfortunately, I watch LTT videos for entertainment value only, not as a trusted source. There are waaay too many sponsored videos to assume that non-paid ones are not biased. Especially when you get to watch all those LG videos with all the big TVs or whatever within few weeks and it looks like a fake hype why this X model is better than Y model we just received for free few weeks ago.

7950x3d | Corsair H170i Elite LCD XT | ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 2x16GB DDR5 6000MHz | ASUS GeForce RTX 4090 ROG Strix O24G | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB  | Corsair AX1500i | Corsair 7000D Airflow | Simucube 2 Pro + Sparco P310 + Sparco R345 + SMC SMV1 + Ascher Racing F64 V2 | Fanatec CSS V 1.5 | HE Ultimate+ | HE Sim Handbrake | Sim-Lab P1 | DSD Race King II | Valve Index

I don't know if he's been biased, or if LG has just been offering him the biggest incentives to cover their products.

I don't know why people would think this is an ad. Companies don't make ads for discontinued products. It simply wouldn't make sense to market something you can't go out and purchase new, at full price off the dealership lot. That thinking is just people not knowing what they're on about. I'm interested to see what he says about the Tesla, even though I see them being eclipsed by the major automakers in the coming years.

At the end of the day, he's got to find some way to cover the ~$140,000/month in wage costs, let alone the other overhead that comes with video production.

5 hours ago, minibois said:

I didn't really get the LG livestream.

5 minute CES video ads (which is basically what those trade show videos are)? meh, barely watch those.

Half an hour video that is basically a full LG ad? doesn't interest me.

The title doesn't describe the video content either, so people probably just thought "this is something boring, so they gave it a sensational title to draw us in", but people didn't actually click.

Plus, people that did actually click probably left really quickly (maybe even quick enough for their view not to count).

While I - and hopefully others - appreciate the effort companies like LG are taking to still have a resemblance of a conference in these times, it's just not something productive from a YouTube standpoint.

'Normally', people like Linus and such would be actually walking around a both, looking at all the stuff, trying it out, etc. and giving their opinion. It's impossible to give an opinion on most of the items LG makes, since you actually have to experience them in real life.

It's impossible to comment on the clarity of a speaker, the colors of a TV, the refresh rate of a monitor or the construction quality of a phone through an online digital event. So why should we - the viewers - watch Linus experience it; while we might as well read about it through our preferred news platform?

Oh well, at least the title actually adressed the video topic; IFA. They described it, unlike all the other current LTT/TQ/TL/SC videos in the LTT forum sidebar:

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.9457392f5da306c8e52bdb07eb85a6b0.png

bye bye - commitment to showing us viewers what we will be watching before clicking on the video 😔

The answer is simple: The amount LG offered them was enough.

3 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

LTT isn’t really an impartial or trusted source of unbiased information.

When your income is paid by the brands you review, your integrity on the matter is pretty much out the window and LTT is no different.

That said, if you keep that in mind and go to other more trusted sources for your purchase decisions you can enjoy LTT for what it is, entertainment.

I think it's pretty safe to get unbiased information form them, seeing as they don't really do reviews anymore and are more into product overviews, with maybe a slight smattering of performance numbers in a few titles. It's kind of hard to screw up just reading off a spec sheet.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

15 hours ago, arisreddy said:

Today's Chevy Volt video is awesome but due to the negativity surrounding the issue with Tesla and some people blindly thinking that this is a Chevy ad are reacting super negatively towards the video and in a tweet LTT confirmed they wont be doing more videos in this segment

That's the problem. People blindly think. Why would you make an ad for a vehicle that is 2 years discontinued. A little research would get them a long ways. I haven't seen this video yet. It might be an ad for another product, but I'm not seeing why someone would pay them to make an ad for a Volt.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

The answer is simple: The amount LG offered them was enough.

That is clear to me, what isn't clear it to me is I don't understand why LG wanted Linus to do this online conference.

What do they get out of that entire video, that they couldn't get out of a 15 second ad on a normal video, shouting out their product.

I feel like that would reach a much broader audience, plus their message would be much more concise and to the point.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

17 hours ago, minibois said:

That is clear to me, what isn't clear it to me is I don't understand why LG wanted Linus to do this online conference.

What do they get out of that entire video, that they couldn't get out of a 15 second ad on a normal video, shouting out their product.

I feel like that would reach a much broader audience, plus their message would be much more concise and to the point.

Significantly more product coverage. You wouldn't get nearly as much out of a 15 second clip, plus most people simply skip past advertisements whereas they're more likely to watch a video like this.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

On 9/13/2020 at 6:31 PM, DivusJulius said:

Haha car people be like "what Linus reviews a bwm m3?"

i really dislike content sponsored by the manufacturer of the product. those video's are just 10 minute long ads of the product, with nothing of substance in them.

if the word showcase is in the title i don't even click, and if they trick me by not putting "sponsored" or "showcase" in the title yet it is sponsored by the manufacturer i leave a dislike and immediately click off. 

Edited by Ashley xD
typo

She/Her

As long as they're transparent about the video being sponsored, I'm generally okay with it because I would know to avoid it or just take it as entertainment purposes only rather than factual. That being said, I guess I would also take the time to air out my dirty laundry on their thumbnails. LTT spends hundreds of thousands on talent and equipment to bolster their video production quality and then spend thousands on graphic designers for their entire enterprise. So the videos look amazing, but the thumbnails still somehow end up being the same crap I would expect from young kid making Fornite videos. The latest video on his Volt is probably the worst offender. What is this?

image.png.b553c627b6654bac3faf3c018ec19f31.png

Take a look at other channels, upscale video production value paired with upscale and clean thumbnails. That being said, LTT is catered towards kids so I don't even know anymore. It's not like kids appreciate high production values. 

image.thumb.png.a0ad390b2bfb34ffcc070c501dd67b6a.png

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I'm fine with it. LTT makes money, good for them. I don't watch the videos as they never point out flaws in the sponsored product (which makes sense, but still) and I don't find them enjoyable. Doesn't help that basically every product they've been sponsored by has been super boring.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I haven't liked some of their sponsored content lately. Some are subtle but others are in your face.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

8 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

LTT spends hundreds of thousands on talent and equipment to bolster their video production quality and then spend thousands on graphic designers for their entire enterprise. So the videos look amazing, but the thumbnails still somehow end up being the same crap I would expect from young kid making Fornite videos. The latest video on his Volt is probably the worst offender. What is this?

image.png.b553c627b6654bac3faf3c018ec19f31.png

Couldn’t agree with you more. I would bet the biggest reason the video didn’t do as well as they expected was because of the thumbnail as well as the title. I didn’t watch the video at first because frankly I didn’t care why Linus didn’t choose a Tesla, until I found out it was the Chevy Volt review, then I watched the video. How are people supposed to be interested in videos and see the incredible production value if the thumbnail looks like that? Not really surprised the video just recently got 1M views, because like I said I didn’t watch it at first either.