Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What would you change?

Hey everyone,

 

This is my first build I made from 2016, it's held up quite well but with the 30 series on its way, I'm seriously considering an upgrade so I thought I'd put it out there to people with far more knowledge than me. At the time I tried to find a comfortable position between performance and price, I cared somewhat about looks but not as much as I did performance.

 

What do you think? What would you change? 

Here's my thoughts on the parts so far: 

  • CPU: I7 6700K - This has held up quite well. It's handled everything I've thrown at it with the exception of Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 which is known to have CPU bottleneck issues. I believe some of this is game related as most of the player base is having problems with the larger airliners but I do believe upgrading would help. This week I've overclocked this to 4.5ghz at 1.325 volts. I'm slowly trying to bring this down upon testing but I've got a few days to go until I find the mark.
     
  • Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S - This has been a beast. Before the overclock I was getting between 19 on idle and 59C under load. With the overclock I'm between 26C at idle and 68C under load which from what I've seen online should be fine? I'm still worried I'd spill water on my components so I haven't gone with watercooling yet.
     
  • Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 - This I've been a little disappointed with. It doesn't give much room to play with, no RGB fan headers for the cooler master fan I purchased and the bios presets for OC don't work and the lack of a bluetooth connection is something I've regretted.
     
  • Mushkin Blackline 16 GB - Ram is ram, it works well as does the Crucial Ballistix Sport
     
  • EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 W 80+ Gold - The only complaint I have is the size of the cables. Some are bigger than my thumb wide which has made cable management hard.
     
  • Case: I'd switch this case out on a new build. I need more room at the back and I've gone off the design.
     
  • With the noctua covers for the heatsink, they don't fit properly because of the fan connectors.

    There's a few other parts which you can find here: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/K4YH99 

    I know I need to improve the cable management, probably upgrade the CPU and the GPU soon. 
     

What do you think? 


 

119141426_342431690501958_725192137831353686_n.jpg

119169534_669774070302838_8323549237848453705_n.jpg

119268005_318775752742689_5544727088529500436_n.jpg

119254567_321694659139146_2187279785831976895_n.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

new CPU+board+more ram and then new GPU when they are out (wait for RDNA2). I really don't like QLC drives but thats just cus I hit my drives hard at times.

I'd move to the 4900x (or whatever the 12 core zen3 will be called) on a b550, 32-64gb of ram

 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 4x8gb Geil EVO 2866, XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 500gb 850 pro and 5tb Toshiba x300

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250 intel 730, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Bearcat (F@H box) core 2 duo, 1x4gb EEC DDR2, 250gb WD blue, 9800GTX+, STRIX 660ti, supermicro PSU, dell T3400.

Rappter(unfinished compute server) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work

Spirt  (unfinished NAS) Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List      How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

 

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."  @CircleTech

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

new CPU+board+more ram and then new GPU when they are out (wait for RDNA2). I really don't like QLC drives but thats just cus I hit my drives hard at times.

I'd move to the 4900x (or whatever the 12 core zen3 will be called) on a b550, 32-64gb of ram

 

Yeah definitely looking at new CPU and board. I was thinking Intel over AMD though, I know AMD has more cores but doesn't Intel have the clock speed at the moment? Most FPS comparisons I've seen show Intel just above at the moment. Am I missing or not considering something here?

You mention more ram, is 32GB not enough? I can't think of anything I do currently that requires more. I need to update the thread, I also need a new case which gives me more room for sure.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Krisp-kiwi said:

Yeah definitely looking at new CPU and board. I was thinking Intel over AMD though, I know AMD has less cores but doesn't Intel have the clock speed at the moment? Most FPS comparisons I've seen show Intel just above at the moment. Am I missing or not considering something here?

You mention more ram, is 32GB not enough? I can't think of anything I do currently that requires more. I need to update the thread, I also need a new case which gives me more room for sure.   

and that just above part is what should change with 4000 ryzen chips based on zen3.

32gb is often enough now for most users, you got to figure out how much you use.  I leave too much stuff open while doing things like video editing. I just moved up to 32gb and I want to move now to 64

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 4x8gb Geil EVO 2866, XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 500gb 850 pro and 5tb Toshiba x300

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250 intel 730, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Bearcat (F@H box) core 2 duo, 1x4gb EEC DDR2, 250gb WD blue, 9800GTX+, STRIX 660ti, supermicro PSU, dell T3400.

Rappter(unfinished compute server) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work

Spirt  (unfinished NAS) Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List      How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

 

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."  @CircleTech

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

and that just above part is what should change with 4000 ryzen chips based on zen3.

32gb is often enough now for most users, you got to figure out how much you use.  I leave too much stuff open while doing things like video editing. I just moved up to 32gb and I want to move now to 64

Just realized I said less not more for cores, my bad. Is there a release date on these chips? Would I need a new PSU for this additional power? I'm also still a bit hesitant to go watercooling. I'm nervous one day it'll leak and go onto the components and just destroy everything. That's why i went for a fan on my first build. I was thinking the black noctua DH15 for the next build. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Krisp-kiwi said:

Just realized I said less not more for cores, my bad. Is there a release date on these chips? Would I need a new PSU for this additional power? I'm also still a bit hesitant to go watercooling. I'm nervous one day it'll leak and go onto the components and just destroy everything. That's why i went for a fan on my first build. I was thinking the black noctua DH15 for the next build. 

late this year, they get announced in 4 weeks

likely no

you don't have to, large air coolers do just fine.

your current cooler will likely be fine for most CPUs

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 4x8gb Geil EVO 2866, XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 500gb 850 pro and 5tb Toshiba x300

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250 intel 730, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Bearcat (F@H box) core 2 duo, 1x4gb EEC DDR2, 250gb WD blue, 9800GTX+, STRIX 660ti, supermicro PSU, dell T3400.

Rappter(unfinished compute server) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work

Spirt  (unfinished NAS) Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List      How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

 

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."  @CircleTech

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

late this year, they get announced in 4 weeks

likely no

you don't have to, large air coolers do just fine.

your current cooler will likely be fine for most CPUs

Sweet and do you have any board recommendations or things i should be looking for? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd hold off on upgrading till Ryzen 4000 and RDNA2, less than a month till we have more info.

 

You can reuse your RAM, PSU, Storage, and case if you want, so you can put potentially your entire budget towards the components that matter the most.

 

1 minute ago, Krisp-kiwi said:

Sweet and do you have any board recommendations or things i should be looking for? 

 

How much can you afford to spend on an upgrade?

ALIENWARE 13R3

i7-7700HQ | GTX 1060 | 16GB DDR4 | 512GB NVMe SSD | 1440p OLED display | Logitech MX Master KZ ZSA

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

I'd hold off on upgrading till Ryzen 4000 and RDNA2, less than a month till we have more info.

 

You can reuse your RAM, PSU, Storage, and case if you want, so you can put potentially your entire budget towards the components that matter the most.

 

 

How much can you afford to spend on an upgrade?

Sweet I'll keep the ram, psu and storage. I do want to replace the case though As you can see the back cable photos, especially with that thick PSU to motherboard cable, it's not that easy to work with. I'd be looking for a motherboard with more fan headers than this one, possibly an RGB header and also bluetooth and at least 6 sata slots for sure. I want to give myself room this time to make it more fancy over time with good lighting 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Krisp-kiwi said:

Sweet I'll keep the ram, psu and storage. I do want to replace the case though As you can see the back cable photos, especially with that thick PSU to motherboard cable, it's not that easy to work with. I'd be looking for a motherboard with more fan headers than this one, possibly an RGB header and also bluetooth and at least 6 sata slots for sure. I want to give myself room this time to make it more fancy over time with good lighting 

Naw you just need to get better at cable management. I've been hiding cables behind motherboard trays in cases like that since 2013, it can be done.

ALIENWARE 13R3

i7-7700HQ | GTX 1060 | 16GB DDR4 | 512GB NVMe SSD | 1440p OLED display | Logitech MX Master KZ ZSA

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Aereldor said:

Naw you just need to get better at cable management. I've been hiding cables behind motherboard trays in cases like that since 2013, it can be done.

Where would you recommend putting that cable through? It's the one thats applying pressure against the case.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×