Laptop battery life suddenly halfed.

Hi, 

I've got Lenovo Ideapad gaming 3 laptop few months ago and just started experiencing battery issues. Battery life suddenly went from 4-5h to 2h max at 100%. Battery capacity is 99% so it has not degraded much. This happens even if cpu usage is below 5%.

Intel i5-10300h

GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6

8GB RAM 2933MHz

I had this happen on a Dell XPS and the problem was a bad battery.  Battery packs are made up of multiple cells wired in series and parallel to increase voltage and capacity and in my case one or more died and my runtime was cut in half.  The laptop reads only the pack's voltage to determine the capacity, mine would report charging to 100% too but instead of a 11.1v 84Wh pack it was basically a 11.1v 42Wh pack because of the dead cell or cells.

3 minutes ago, johnny5c said:

I had this happen on a Dell XPS and the problem was a bad battery.  Battery packs are made up of multiple cells wired in series and parallel to increase voltage and capacity and in my case one or more died and my runtime was cut in half.  The laptop reads only the pack's voltage to determine the capacity, mine would report charging to 100% too but instead of a 11.1v 84Wh pack it was basically a 11.1v 42Wh pack because of the dead cell or cells.

I never replaced my battery in 10 years, it still works for 4 hours, never let the battery below 20 or above 80, do a full chrage and discharge around once a month, this will make your battery last for more years.

11 minutes ago, johnny5c said:

Mine is still reporting 45.05Wh out of 45.5Wh.

3 minutes ago, knockless said:

I never replaced my battery in 10 years, it still works for 4 hours, never let the battery below 20 or above 80, do a full chrage and discharge around once a month, this will make your battery last for more years.

Mine like the OP's was only a few months old when it happened, it has nothing to do with care but is a defect in the pack like a failed cell or broken spot weld.

6 minutes ago, Nemanja157 said:

Mine is still reporting 45.05Wh out of 45.5Wh.

Mine would report excellent health and capacity in the Dell Power Manager app which made them not want to look it at first, when they finally agreed to RMA it the pack was replaced and the ticket read "due to internal failure".

30 minutes ago, johnny5c said:

Mine would report excellent health and capacity in the Dell Power Manager app which made them not want to look it at first, when they finally agreed to RMA it the pack was replaced and the ticket read "due to internal failure".

My friend's laptop's touchpad came up a little due an "internal blow" or whatever they said at the dell store.