Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do you know which macbook should i buy?

I dont which macbook is the best value now but it shouldn't dost more than 1000usd.

Link to post
Share on other sites

First of all: Wait for 15th, Apple Event. According to a Leaker a 14" Pro with ARM will be announced.

 

Source: 

Even if this won't be true, first ARM Macbooks WILL launch this Year, according to Apple. So i would wait for them, and then see if they're a good choice. If not, the Intel models could become cheaper.

 

Second: What do you want to do with it?

Best value also means, it has to be fast enough for YOUR needs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does it have to be a mac? i would wait for ARM macs or get a Ryzen flex 14. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you actually visit the apple website or just assume macbooks are cheap somehow? The cheapest macbook is exactly $1000 (13 inch macbook air) and I personally wouldn't even think about getting it. Especially considering I could buy a used laptop locally that's 3 times faster for ~$300-400.

 

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Darkseth said:

First of all: Wait for 15th, Apple Event. According to a Leaker a 14" Pro with ARM will be announced.

 

Source: 

Even if this won't be true, first ARM Macbooks WILL launch this Year, according to Apple. So i would wait for them, and then see if they're a good choice. If not, the Intel models could become cheaper.

 

Second: What do you want to do with it?

Best value also means, it has to be fast enough for YOUR needs.

Just work and school so nothing demanding

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mata14 said:

I dont which macbook is the best value now but it shouldn't dost more than 1000usd.

For $1000 all you'll get is a dual core- which in 2020 is unacceptable. 

Im not saying macs are bad, but you need to spend a bit more to at least get a quad core, even for light productivity.

 

For something cheaper windows based, look at the suggestions i left on your last post

PC

Ryzen 5 2600 Stock

Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition Radeon RX580 8GB (Would Recommend)

Gigabyte B450M DS3H (Don't recommend)

Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz CL15 

Phanteks P300 (Would Recommend)

Kingston A400 240GB SSD

Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD

Corsair CX550M 550W  80+ Bronze

Deepcool FH-10 Fan Hub

3x BeQuiet Pure Wings 2

 

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/marmour/saved/QTY3ZL

 

Peripherals

LG 24MK400H

Logitech G413 Carbon

Logitech G305 (AAA Adaptor - 10g reduction) (Would recommend)

Logitech Z150

HyperX Cloud II (Would recommend)

Moto G5 Plus (Webcam)

 

Phone

Pixel 3A XL (Would recommend)

 

*Useful Link* PSU Tier List: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mata14 said:

Just work and school so nothing demanding

Why must it be a Macbook? I have a quad-core Ryzen laptop which I bought a year ago for half the price of a dual-core Macbook. Unless you NEEEEEEEED MacOS, Windows is going to be better value for your use case.

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would also ask, if it has to be Mac.
But the argumentations here don't make sense.

 

A Notebook is more than just Price and CPU.

Speakers, feel, trackpad, build quality, OS itself, etc.

 

For pure webbrowsing, simple Office etc, the Dual Core macbook Air does feel more smooth than a 15w i5 8th Gen (last Year's Thinpad T series for example).

So it's not possible to just break it down to CPU + Price and nothing else.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you say you're in school or taking courses (they don't check anyway), you can get the Air for $899. Better yet, the upgraded quad core/16GB Air is $1179. If you want better cooling and a much faster processor you can get the 13 inch MacBook Pro for $1199 or $1379 with 16GB of RAM.

MacBook Pro 16

i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME - many dongles

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

Better yet, the upgraded quad core/16GB Air is $1179.

Well, not worth it. 899 for base is a MUCH better deal. Or the Base Pro.

 

Both CPUs are not fast enough to benefit enough from 16gb Ram over 8gb.

And the i5 Quad Core has the same everyday performance as the i3 Dual Core. But it gets hotter and throttles not just earlier, but also much deeper down.

When you open stuff, browse, navigate, you won't notice any difference.

 

The base Macbook Air has the best Value over every higher Air configuration.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mata14 said:

but it shouldn't dost more than 1000usd.

......... Not sure what to say. You do know your asking for an Apple product? You do know that Apple products are not cheap? Hell my MacBook Pro set me back over $2K. For the record $1200 of that was given to me by the government as a "Stimulus" Check. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Darkseth said:

Well, not worth it. 899 for base is a MUCH better deal. Or the Base Pro.

 

Both CPUs are not fast enough to benefit enough from 16gb Ram over 8gb.

And the i5 Quad Core has the same everyday performance as the i3 Dual Core. But it gets hotter and throttles not just earlier, but also much deeper down.

When you open stuff, browse, navigate, you won't notice any difference.

 

The base Macbook Air has the best Value over every higher Air configuration.

Processor speeds have nothing to with whether or not a system can utilize a given amount of memory. Saying a 10% increase in cost for literally double the processing power is a poor value is also illogical. 

MacBook Pro 16

i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME - many dongles

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mata14 said:

Just work and school so nothing demanding

Base Macbook Air 2020 if you have to get it now

Or wait til Sept 15 to see if Apple decided to drop ARM Mac

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

 Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

 

Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max  256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM3 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 | i3 1.1GHz (yes, you heard it right, dual-core 1.1GHz base in 2020) | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

Console Corner: PlayStation 4 Pro | LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Mata14 said:

I dont which macbook is the best value now but it shouldn't dost more than 1000usd.

You can get a refurbished current-generation MacBook Pro for $1,099, or if it absolutely has to be under $1,000, get either a 2020 base MacBook Air through the education or refurbished sections. I'd spend extra for the Pro just for the processing power.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Why must it be a Macbook? I have a quad-core Ryzen laptop which I bought a year ago for half the price of a dual-core Macbook. Unless you NEEEEEEEED MacOS, Windows is going to be better value for your use case.

If someone says they're looking for a Mac, please suggest a Mac. Keep in mind that it's not just about specs; some people simply prefer macOS and MacBooks, and for good reasons.

 

To be clear: I'm the same way with the people who always suggest Apple products when someone's looking for a phone or tablet and the criteria clearly points to Android or Windows. We need to recommend what would make sense for a given buyer, not what we'd buy for ourselves.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Commodus said:

If someone says they're looking for a Mac, please suggest a Mac. Keep in mind that it's not just about specs; some people simply prefer macOS and MacBooks, and for good reasons.

That's absolutely fine, and is why I posed a question to OP, rather than just subscribing to the "apple bad" mentality.

 

Given that they seemed unsure of the pricing of Apple products, I thought they might be unaware of the size of the possible savings from buying a Windows computer instead, considering that $999 is a pretty significant sum to spend.

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

Processor speeds have nothing to with whether or not a system can utilize a given amount of memory. Saying a 10% increase in cost for literally double the processing power is a poor value is also illogical. 

Well, more multitasking does requite more Processing power.

 

Except, it's NOT double the processing power, because the 4-Cores throttle much more under full Load, than the 2 Cores do. Check MaxTech on Youtube, they did benchmark-like tests. The i5 will sit below 1 Ghz under full Load. Daul Core like.. 1.5+- ghz if i'm not mistaken.

The performance IS higher under full Load (Multicore Benchmarks), but not double, thanks to the Cooling System.

 

However, for anything that does require full Load, the Macbook Air is the wrong device.

And for stuff that doesn't, there will be mostly zero difference between a Dual Core and a Quad Core. Like i mentioned, opening Apps, typing documents, browsing the web etc.

With the i5 Quad Core, you won't type double as fast. Apps won't open double as fast. Youtube won't play twice as fast.

 

If you really need more performance, you should get the Pro.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Darkseth said:

Well, more multitasking does requite more Processing power.

 

Except, it's NOT double the processing power, because the 4-Cores throttle much more under full Load, than the 2 Cores do. Check MaxTech on Youtube, they did benchmark-like tests. The i5 will sit below 1 Ghz under full Load. Daul Core like.. 1.5+- ghz if i'm not mistaken.

The performance IS higher under full Load (Multicore Benchmarks), but not double, thanks to the Cooling System.

 

However, for anything that does require full Load, the Macbook Air is the wrong device.

And for stuff that doesn't, there will be mostly zero difference between a Dual Core and a Quad Core. Like i mentioned, opening Apps, typing documents, browsing the web etc.

With the i5 Quad Core, you won't type double as fast. Apps won't open double as fast. Youtube won't play twice as fast.

 

If you really need more performance, you should get the Pro.

I watched this MaxTech dude on YouTube and then looked at literally every other review out there that contradicts him. He's either manipulating, lying or has a defective unit. They're not throttling into sub 1Ghz, lol. Of the reviews I looked at they sit around base clock at worst under stuff like cinebench. 

 

I also don't think you understand how general computing works. It's not some linear increase in processor utilization depending on your use case. If you fire up a program it's going to slam your processor's threads as hard as it can until it's finished loading. It's not like it magically holds back because it's something like Word or Outlook. Same goes for general use... If you actually pay attention to thread utilization, you'll regularly see them get maxed doing the most basic of things like scrolling a website or jumping around a big spreadsheet. 

 

Therefore, unless you're using apps that are so poorly coded as to not use more than 2 threads, you will see an improvement from the jump to a quad core, especially while multitasking.

MacBook Pro 16

i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME - many dongles

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well:

 

Mostly no difference in basic Tasks. That's just how it is. For whatever reason.

 

Edit: i'm not saying, there is NEVER a difference. There will be for example video editing. But basic Tasks... not really.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Darkseth said:

Well:

 

Mostly no difference in basic Tasks. That's just how it is. For whatever reason.

 

Edit: i'm not saying, there is NEVER a difference. There will be for example video editing. But basic Tasks... not really.

Uh... he just sat there and opened Safari and Pages which were cached in memory. I don’t think he realizes that quitting in MacOS doesn’t flush the app out of memory.

 

Then when he FINALLY loads something not cached (Minecraft), it loads twice as fast on the i5. He also shows Spotify opening and rendering the homepage twice as fast but seemingly isn’t paying attention and says they’re both the same speed.

 

That video is pretty silly.

MacBook Pro 16

i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME - many dongles

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×