PSU for 2700x and RTX 3080

Schlurps

Hi guys,

I'm planning on getting a 3080 when it comes out and after some research it seems my current bequiet! 500W Straight Power just won't cut it.

Specs:

Ryzen 2700x

RTX 3080 (currently 1070 TI)

Asrock x470 Taichi

16gb G.Skill Flare X DDR4-3200

1TB Samsung 860 Evo

4TB Seagate BarraCuda Pro

2 Case Fans that came with my Fractal Design R6

I don't plan to overclock, but I might upgrade my CPU when AMD 4000 arrives.

So far I've been looking at the bequiet Dark Power Pro 11 750W and the Seasonic Prime TX 80 750 W.

I've heard the Seasonic is louder, but the bequiet! is not fully modular.

Can you guys recommend one over the other or do you know even better alternatives?

Basically I want a really good PSU for peace of mind and future proofing, given that I now already have to get rid of the bequiet! after ~ 2 years.

It doesn't have to be Platinum rating, but I want high quality parts.

I've already studied the PSU Tier list, but I'm completely overwhelmed with all the possible choices. Can you guys help me out?

A coasair RM unit. Probably the 750 is more than enough. I use that PSU in all of my sugested builds.

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
Power Supply Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $139.99 @ Best Buy
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $139.99
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-10 11:44 EDT-0400  

They cost a fair bit, but are some of the best units you can have.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Schlurps said:

Hi guys,

I'm planning on getting a 3080 when it comes out and after some research it seems my current bequiet! 500W Straight Power just won't cut it.

Specs:

Ryzen 2700x

RTX 3080 (currently 1070 TI)

Asrock x470 Taichi

16gb G.Skill Flare X DDR4-3200

1TB Samsung 860 Evo

4TB Seagate BarraCuda Pro

2 Case Fans that came with my Fractal Design R6

I don't plan to overclock, but I might upgrade my CPU when AMD 4000 arrives.

So far I've been looking at the bequiet Dark Power Pro 11 750W and the Seasonic Prime TX 80 750 W.

I've heard the Seasonic is louder, but the bequiet! is not fully modular.

Can you guys recommend one over the other or do you know even better alternatives?

Basically I want a really good PSU for peace of mind and future proofing, given that I now already have to get rid of the bequiet! after ~ 2 years.

It doesn't have to be Platinum rating, but I want high quality parts.

I've already studied the PSU Tier list, but I'm completely overwhelmed with all the possible choices. Can you guys help me out?

Id go with the dark power pro 11. Its still semi modular so you only have the 24 pin cable permanently attached.

PC

Ryzen 5 2600 Stock

Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition Radeon RX580 8GB (Would Recommend)

Gigabyte B450M DS3H (Don't recommend)

Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz CL15 

Phanteks P300 (Would Recommend)

Kingston A400 240GB SSD

Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD

Corsair CX550M 550W  80+ Bronze

Deepcool FH-10 Fan Hub

3x BeQuiet Pure Wings 2

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/marmour/saved/QTY3ZL

Peripherals

LG 24MK400H

Logitech G413 Carbon

Logitech G305 (AAA Adaptor - 10g reduction) (Would recommend)

Logitech Z150

HyperX Cloud II (Would recommend)

Moto G5 Plus (Webcam)

Phone

Pixel 3A XL (Would recommend)

*Useful Link* PSU Tier List: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

Hard to come with recommendations without knowing where you'll be buying from. The availability and pricing will vary. So where are you buying from?

Either way, I would recommend against the Prime (or any Seasonic...), as even their highest end PSUs use a crappy Hong Hua fan, which will have motor noise. They also like to cheap out on their protections by omitting multi rail OCP on all of their new PSUs.

The Dark Power Pro 12 is supposed to come out at some point, Be Quiet has already shown it off.

Also not the RM. One of the downgrades on that compared to the more expensive RMx is the Hong Hua fan. And it again lacks multi rail OCP.

Using high quality parts does not make for a good PSU. Having an efficient PSU does also not make for a good or quiet PSU.

:)

1 hour ago, boggy77 said:

i'd go with a straight power

I thought about that as well, basically get what I already have, just with more Watts. I'm just thinking about whether or not it's worth it to invest a bit more.

47 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Hard to come with recommendations without knowing where you'll be buying from. The availability and pricing will vary. So where are you buying from?

Either way, I would recommend against the Prime (or any Seasonic...), as even their highest end PSUs use a crappy Hong Hua fan, which will have motor noise. They also like to cheap out on their protections by omitting multi rail OCP on all of their new PSUs.

The Dark Power Pro 12 is supposed to come out at some point, Be Quiet has already shown it off.

Also not the RM. One of the downgrades on that compared to the more expensive RMx is the Hong Hua fan. And it again lacks multi rail OCP.

Using high quality parts does not make for a good PSU. Having an efficient PSU does also not make for a good or quiet PSU.

Hmm, then what does make for a good PSU? I just don't want to cheap out on the PSU if I spend 700 bugs on a graphics card, but I don't want to go overkill for no good reason either. Basically I'm a bit annoyed that I didn't buy a beefier PSU 2 years ago and don't want to repeat that mistake.

Would you recommend the Dark Power Pro 11? I don't really want to wait for the 12, as I plan to pick up the 3080 asap and then it would have to sit around until the new PSU is released...

As for where I'm buying from. I'm from Germany, so German shops (Alternate, Mindfactory, Cyberport, Caseking). Currently the only store that has the Dark Pro 11 in stock is Caseking for 185€. Corsair RMX is 144€ and Straight Power 126€ (All 750W of course).

Do you have any other recommendations I can check?

8 hours ago, Schlurps said:

Hmm, then what does make for a good PSU? I just don't want to cheap out on the PSU if I spend 700 bugs on a graphics card, but I don't want to go overkill for no good reason either. Basically I'm a bit annoyed that I didn't buy a beefier PSU 2 years ago and don't want to repeat that mistake.

Would you recommend the Dark Power Pro 11? I don't really want to wait for the 12, as I plan to pick up the 3080 asap and then it would have to sit around until the new PSU is released...

As for where I'm buying from. I'm from Germany, so German shops (Alternate, Mindfactory, Cyberport, Caseking). Currently the only store that has the Dark Pro 11 in stock is Caseking for 185€. Corsair RMX is 144€ and Straight Power 126€ (All 750W of course).

Do you have any other recommendations I can check?

Just like with any other component, you'd likely look at the performance, noise, features etc. I.e. the regulation, ripple, transient response, noise, protections, custom cable compatibility etc.

The Enermax Revolution D.F. is a good option. The 750W is a very reasonable €100, it performs well, is pretty quiet (I believe TweakPC tests at ambient, so take the fan RPM numbers with a grain of salt), and has multi rail OCP. Custom cable compatibility may be an issue, if you want to get custom cables for it.

https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/enermax_revolution_df/s09.php

:)