Where do I even get the dual 8pin to 12pin adapter for the 3080

zeltrabas

so i've been looking at various sites like amazon, seasonic and corsair, but can't find the 8pin to 12pin adapter anywhere

now i know there's one included in the box, but its really short

• CPU
    Intel i7 4770K
  • Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-K
  • RAM
    16GB Crucial DDR3 1600MHz
  • GPU
    Gainward 980ti
  • Case
    Coolermaster
  • Storage
    1TB HDD, 112GB SSD
  • PSU
    dont know
  • Display(s)
    1 ASUS PG278Q, 1 VS228N
  • Keyboard
    Ducky ONE 2 TKL Horizon PBT Gaming
  • Mouse
    Logitech G Pro
  • Sound
    Logitech G432
  • Operating System
    Win 10
  • Phone
    One Plus 7T Pro

Just now, zeltrabas said:

why do you need a long one? it connects to your existing PCie cables

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

oh really, i thought it connects to the PSU directly

this winter will be my first time building a pc so thats why i asked, im pretty unexperienced

• CPU
    Intel i7 4770K
  • Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-K
  • RAM
    16GB Crucial DDR3 1600MHz
  • GPU
    Gainward 980ti
  • Case
    Coolermaster
  • Storage
    1TB HDD, 112GB SSD
  • PSU
    dont know
  • Display(s)
    1 ASUS PG278Q, 1 VS228N
  • Keyboard
    Ducky ONE 2 TKL Horizon PBT Gaming
  • Mouse
    Logitech G Pro
  • Sound
    Logitech G432
  • Operating System
    Win 10
  • Phone
    One Plus 7T Pro

5 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

some PSU manufacturer have start selling cables that uses 2x pcie 8 pin from PSU to single 12-pin

because the included 2 8-pin to 12-pin is ugly af

though as to where you can get them, idk, we'll probably know soon when card launches

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

4 minutes ago, zeltrabas said:

so i've been looking at various sites like amazon, seasonic and corsair, but can't find the 8pin to 12pin adapter anywhere

if you watch jay's video on it there is a warning in the box that says using a third party power dongles may cause technical issues and void the warranty

here is the video around when he reads the warning - 

the reason i didnt qoute the linus video is he skimmed over the warning note inside

also is an unboxing showing that its just 2x 8 pin pcie plugs

21 minutes ago, WickedStarfish said:

if you watch jay's video on it there is a warning in the box that says using a third party power dongles may cause technical issues and void the warranty

here is the video around when he reads the warning - 

the reason i didnt qoute the linus video is he skimmed over the warning note inside

also is an unboxing showing that its just 2x 8 pin pcie plugs

I would bet pretty heavily they put that there because some moron is going to try and adapt a bunch of molex cables to the 12 pin and then cry that Nvidia didn't warn them properly when it blows up the card. PSU manufacturers who do the cables right aren't going to cause issues, it's the janky $2 cable sellers on Amazon and the like that will cause issues.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

ngl i forgot how ugly it is lol, wouldnt put one of these new founders cards in my system until i can get some 12 pin extensions that look decent

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

Just now, Lurick said:

I would bet pretty heavily they put that there because some moron is going to try and adapt a bunch of molex cables to the 12 pin and then cry that Nvidia didn't warn them properly when it blows up the card. PSU manufacturers who do the cables right aren't going to cause issues, it's the janky $2 cable sellers on Amazon and the like that will cause issues.

yeah but personally i would much rather deal with the shitty cable that comes with it than have nvidia say that a 3090 isnt covered under warranty because i used a corsair 12 pin adapter. because every warranty claim i have tried (the 2) they have tried to find every reason to not honor it

52 minutes ago, Lurick said:

No.  They put that there because when the 12-pin leaked, everyone assumed it was a Micro-fit 3.0 and made cables without any direction from Nvidia.  But it's Not Micro-Fit 3.0.  It's just keyed like it.  Micro-Fit 3.0 doesn't support much current, so it could cause problems with lower voltage (V = I * R). 

To my knowledge, there are only two proper cables other than the included adapter.  Corsair's and EVGA's (the standard cable, not the individually sleeved one).  Seasonic had to recall theirs and are redoing out with the correct connector. 

5 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

No.  They put that there because when the 12-pin leaked, everyone assumed it was a Micro-fit 3.0 and made cables without any direction from Nvidia.  But it's Not Micro-Fit 3.0.  It's just keyed like it.  Micro-Fit 3.0 doesn't support much current, so it could cause problems with lower voltage (V = I * R). 

To my knowledge, there are only two proper cables other than the included adapter.  Corsair's and EVGA's (the standard cable, not the individually sleeved one).  Seasonic had to recall theirs and are redoing out with the correct connector. 

Very good to know :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: