Looking to buy 4k, 144hz+, IPS Monitor. Wanting to see suggestions in different price brackets.

TheZmajCap

With the 3080 making 4k gaming easily viable I was wanting to snag a 4k monitor. Right now I am looking at the LG 27GN950 but I always like keeping my options open. My starting budget is 800$ but I would like to see suggestions in all price brackets if people are willing. I like to see feature differences I can expect in the different price ranges. 

Also I am willing to look at higher refresh rate 1440p(2k) monitor suggestions as well. Was looking at the Samsung G7 for that area of monitors. But just remember 4k is kind of my main goal, it just never hurts to expand your horizons.

My current Monitor is a Dell s2716dg. 

*EDIT*

While I appreciate the concern if you are going to simply comment saying "GO 1440P" pleaseeee just save us both some time and don't worry about my thread. I would still like 4k monitor suggestions. :)

Are you willing to drop/maintain at 1440p with higher refresh rate instead?  Going 4k now would mean you'd always have to keep up with GPU upgrades on a more frequent cycle to maintain good enough frame rates at 4k with newer games becoming more and more demanding.

I really feel this is the best balance of resolution and frame rate even at 3080 levels of performance.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

1 minute ago, Samfisher said:

Are you willing to drop/maintain at 1440p with higher refresh rate instead?  Going 4k now would mean you'd always have to keep up with GPU upgrades on a more frequent cycle to maintain good enough frame rates at 4k with newer games becoming more and more demanding.

Im already on a 1440P TN panel. I was wanting to give 4k a shot since it actually seemed viable now is all. I am up for some good 1440p suggestions as well but 4k would be ideal. 

1 minute ago, TheZmajCap said:

Im already on a 1440P TN panel. I was wanting to give 4k a shot since it actually seemed viable now is all. I am up for some good 1440p suggestions as well but 4k would be ideal. 

The Odyssey G7 is a great choice if you can get used to the curve.  I barely notice the curve on mine.  I'm not so up to date on monitors I don't plan on buying, so for 4k someone else would have to give the suggestions there.  Is your current one high refresh rate?

Just now, Samfisher said:

The Odyssey G7 is a great choice if you can get used to the curve.  I barely notice the curve on mine.  I'm not so up to date on monitors I don't plan on buying, so for 4k someone else would have to give the suggestions there.  Is your current one high refresh rate?

Yeah. 144hz

The only thing I can contribute to this discussion would be that I've had a good experience for the past few years with my PG279Q (1440p/144Hz).  I don't have any suggestions in regards to 4K.  I think the XG27UQ is the likely successor to my monitor which is 4K/144Hz, but it doesn't have G-SYNC if you must have that.

The question you aren't answering is whether you're able to keep buying new stuff to maintain 4K. Right now only the 3090 could run 4K at 144Hz or at least close to it and that's only the titles we can benchmark which are a little older. The second a new title comes out with better graphics it will probs drop down to 90 FPS. Can you spend £1200 every 2 years on a GPU? If not stick to 1440p. With those new cards 1440p is the new default standard. I also wanted to go 4K but after looking at the numbers it's still not really viable unless you want to keep shelling out money.

The only uprade you can do is going IPS but that wouldnt be that significant so I'd recommend you to stick to your monitor until you have a reason to change it.

2 minutes ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

The question you aren't answering is whether you're able to keep buying new stuff to maintain 4K. Right now only the 3090 could run 4K at 144Hz or at least close to it and that's only the titles we can benchmark which are a little older. The second a new title comes out with better graphics it will probs drop down to 90 FPS. Can you spend £1200 every 2 years on a GPU? If not stick to 1440p. With those new cards 1440p is the new default standard. I also wanted to go 4K but after looking at the numbers it's still not really viable unless you want to keep shelling out money.

The only uprade you can do is going IPS but that wouldnt be that significant so I'd recommend you to stick to your monitor until you have a reason to change it.

Actually they showed the 3080 aiming towards 100-120 fps range on 4k. The 3090 actually got upscalled 8k at around 60-90fps. 

30 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Your mileage will vary quite a bit. I couldn't justify gambling on a 700$ monitor after my initial impression was THAT bad. I simply cannot recommend the G7 as there are much better monitors for much less money on the market. I'll try to steer people away from this monitor as much as possible.

I can fully recommend the LG 27GN850 and LG 27GL850-B. They pretty much share the specs with the 27GN950 but are 1440p. At 27" you won't gain much if anything at all in terms of sharpness from 4k compared to 1440p. The color performance of these leaves monitors like the G7 in the dirt and the response times and refresh rate are good enough that i didn't notice a difference between these LG 144Hz panels and the G7 with 240Hz. Not to mention they're selling for 450$. The extra 400$ for the 4K model don't seem worth it at all to me.

Edit: A good IPS panel like the mentioned LG monitors will still be a huge upgrade compared to a TN monitor. Even if size and resolution are the same.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

43 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

The odyssey has a LOT of colour and warping issues due to the curve it seems so I would not recommend it.

14 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Your mileage will vary quite a bit. I couldn't justify gambling on a 700$ monitor after my initial impression was THAT bad. I simply cannot recommend the G7 as there are much better monitors for much less money on the market. I'll try to steer people away from this monitor as much as possible.

I can fully recommend the LG 27GN850 and LG 27GL850-B. They pretty much share the specs with the 27GN950 but are 1440p. At 27" you won't gain much if anything at all in terms of sharpness from 4k compared to 1440p. The color performance of these leaves monitors like the G7 in the dirt and the response times and refresh rate are good enough that i didn't notice a difference between these LG 144Hz panels and the G7 with 240Hz. Not to mention they're selling for 450$. The extra 400$ for the 4K model don't seem worth it at all to me.

Edit: A good IPS panel like the mentioned LG monitors will still be a huge upgrade compared to a TN monitor. Even if size and resolution are the same.

Most of the issues I've seen with the G7 have all bee on the 32" model.  The 27" models seem to be generally much less troubled.

1 minute ago, Samfisher said:

Most of the issues I've seen with the G7 have all bee on the 32" model.  The 27" models seem to be generally much less troubled.

This could very well be the case, as i only did my research for the 32" model when i still had it. But at any rate i'm still set on the curve being too extreme and more distracting than anything else. Even the 27" model has a pricetag much higher than the mentioned LG monitors. And all you get for the extra $ is pretty much the curve, which is a quirk imo, and the higher refresh rate, which is unnoticeable imo.

Don't get me wrong, i'm happy for you if you don't have any problems using the G7. But i just feel most people are better off with another monitor due to the curve alone. At 27" a flat panel really is the way to go imo. Curves should only be relevant on 34"+ ultrawides.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 hour ago, TheZmajCap said:

With the 3080 making 4k gaming easily viable I was wanting to snag a 4k monitor. Right now I am looking at the LG 27GN950 but I always like keeping my options open. My starting budget is 800$ but I would like to see suggestions in all price brackets if people are willing. I like to see feature differences I can expect in the different price ranges. 

Also I am willing to look at higher refresh rate 1440p(2k) monitor suggestions as well. Was looking at the Samsung G7 for that area of monitors. But just remember 4k is kind of my main goal, it just never hurts to expand your horizons.

My current Monitor is a Dell s2716dg. 

*EDIT*

While I appreciate the concern if you are going to simply comment saying "GO 1440P" pleaseeee just save us both some time and don't worry about my thread. I would still like 4k monitor suggestions. :)

Nixeus NX-EDG274K is an alright 'budget' pick.

LG also have a new model but I haven't seen reviews yet.

I like Tim from Hardware unboxed's videos for monitor reviews, so I'd check some of them out

PC

Ryzen 5 2600 Stock

Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition Radeon RX580 8GB (Would Recommend)

Gigabyte B450M DS3H (Don't recommend)

Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz CL15 

Phanteks P300 (Would Recommend)

Kingston A400 240GB SSD

Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD

Corsair CX550M 550W  80+ Bronze

Deepcool FH-10 Fan Hub

3x BeQuiet Pure Wings 2

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/marmour/saved/QTY3ZL

Peripherals

LG 24MK400H

Logitech G413 Carbon

Logitech G305 (AAA Adaptor - 10g reduction) (Would recommend)

Logitech Z150

HyperX Cloud II (Would recommend)

Moto G5 Plus (Webcam)

Phone

Pixel 3A XL (Would recommend)

*Useful Link* PSU Tier List: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

I have an LG 38GL950G and love it.

It's 3840x1600 so while you do give up some vertical real estate compared to a true 16:9 4k monitor of the same size, I find the ability to maintain relatively high framerate to be worth it.

I'd recommend at least a 2080Ti for optimal experience.

I find the monitor's color reproduction, refresh rate, and black levels to be excellent. I don't use the monitor at the overclocked 175Hz refresh rate, I prefer to leave it at 144Hz to avoid the worst of the overdrive issues.

The HDR400 is nothing outstanding, but it works, and HDR content looks *good* on it. If you don't have an OLED display or an HDR1000 display to compare it to, you'll probably think "wow, this looks really great."

Buy it, but not for the HDR or the ultra deep blacks.

Buy it because it's big, it's fast, and it's arguably one of the best gaming experiences you can get at 3840 horizontal resolution right now.

12 hours ago, LyondellBasell said:

I have an LG 38GL950G and love it.

It's 3840x1600 so while you do give up some vertical real estate compared to a true 16:9 4k monitor of the same size, I find the ability to maintain relatively high framerate to be worth it.

I'd recommend at least a 2080Ti for optimal experience.

I find the monitor's color reproduction, refresh rate, and black levels to be excellent. I don't use the monitor at the overclocked 175Hz refresh rate, I prefer to leave it at 144Hz to avoid the worst of the overdrive issues.

The HDR400 is nothing outstanding, but it works, and HDR content looks *good* on it. If you don't have an OLED display or an HDR1000 display to compare it to, you'll probably think "wow, this looks really great."

Buy it, but not for the HDR or the ultra deep blacks.

Buy it because it's big, it's fast, and it's arguably one of the best gaming experiences you can get at 3840 horizontal resolution right now.

Getting a 3080.