Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Enhanced Blower Graphics Card Design

So I suddenly came up with an idea and decided to spend my whole day on it. This thing combines a double fan, tilted fin and a separated video port slot, with no feature lost.

974088097_pp.thumb.png.34bc37cc86134e720f8edc15773602c0.png

Compare to conventional blower cards, this design gives 150% of cooler fins' area with enough space to mount 4 narrow heatpipes, the video ports are gone so air can pass the pcie shield easily, 2 fans can pump much more air, and that's about it, I guess.

I think this board also has enough space to cut 2 some holes for the 2 fans to draw more air from the back of this card.

!Please note I did not work with strict scaling, so everything in term of size are wrong.

!Please note those small details are just placeholders to make this drawing more promising.

!Please note that this picture is not made from MS Paint, its made from FastStoneCapture.

!Please note that this could be the reason who drawn this image has trouble to find part time jobs.

For the video port cable management, you can actually get away with a group of curved cable in both vertical and horizontal mount. Just like the curved AIO watercooling tubes. You can also add RGB on these internal cables like that glowing Lian Li 24pin power.

2020-09-09_223648.png.77db6195dce459eefa7f13d9da0fdcc8.png

Oh shit the left up corner was not connected, r/mildlyinfurating warning...

Unless you expect this card to be significantly longer than a normal GPU you can't fit 50% more heat sink and a second fan, unless you switch to much smaller fans, which have the problem of a much larger portion of their area being fan hub that does less than nothing for airflow.

Also are those internal display connections?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-3820 | Corsair H100i | ASUS P9X79-LE | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Corsair CX750M Fractal Design Define R5 Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K Touch | Intel Core i5-7300HQ | 12GB Generic (Crucial?) 2133MHz DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1050 | 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe SSD | Windows 10

7 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Unless you expect this card to be significantly longer than a normal GPU you can't fit 50% more heat sink and a second fan, unless you switch to much smaller fans, which have the problem of a much larger portion of their area being fan hub that does less than nothing for airflow.

It is 150% because usually the heatsink is smaller and not even high enough fot 2 pcie slots, and I don't see why you need a fan hub when the graphic card can just control the fan with some circuits

Looks like small fans. Small fans are much louder and have a higher chance of dying due to constantly running at a higher RPM. 

Current PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Everyone seems to be focusing on it not being realistic, or why it wouldn't work but I say neat!

It's fun to brainstorm these kind of things, and I'm sure there are hundreds of designs that have been prototyped by GPU manufacturers that are similar to this and were scrapped but led to a newer improved design in the end. No need to take it so seriously, it's not like this is actually going to end up being manufactured and it might inspire this person to become interested in thermal engineering.

- Personal Rig -

i7-4770K / 32GB Corsair DDR3-1600 Dominator Platinum / EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra
Gigabyte G1. Sniper 5 / Noctua NH-D15 ThermalTake X71 / EVGA G2 750W / 500GB SSD [RAID 0]

- Desktop Audio Equipment -
ADAM Audio F7's | Cambridge Audio DAC Magic+ w/ Balanced XLR
- Budget Home Theatre Equipment -

Polk RTiA7's | Velodyne DPS-12 | Polk CSi30 Denon AVR-X3500H

25 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

2020-09-09_223648.png.756cc5626aa8bf9aae1b655b2ce0aaec.png

If you dont like internal cables, you can always add R Gee Bee on it lol

14 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Looks like small fans. Small fans are much louder and have a higher chance of dying due to constantly running at a higher RPM. 

Yeah, but that's the exact same size, 10mm as most blower fans

20 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

I know, part of my ideas were actually from this video :)

Interesting 

but not without flaws 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Hi

1 hour ago, Drama Lama said:

Interesting 

but not without flaws 

yep, what do you have about flaws?

Very nice but why blower what's the idea behind that? Wouldn't it be much better to have proper fans instead (that cool the whole GPU, you know)

Seriously I have no idea why blowers are a thing, I guess price but that's ridiculous at what prices these things are going...

But yes, nice concept, I get it 2 = better than 1 ;)

RYZEN 5 3600 | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW2 | 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 3200 DDR4 | MSI B350M MORTAR | 250GB SAMSUNG EVO 860 | 4TB TOSHIBA X 300 | 1TB TOSHIBA SSHD | 120GB KINGSTON SSD | WINDOWS 10 PRO | INWIN 301| BEQUIET PURE POWER 10 500W 80+ SILVER | ASUS 279H | LOGITECH Z906 | DELL KB216T | LOGITECH M185 | SONY DUALSHOCK 4

LENOVO IDEAPAD 510 | i5 7200U | 8GB DDR4 | NVIDIA GEFORCE 940MX | 1TB WD | WINDOWS 10 GO HOME 

5 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Very nice but why blower what's the idea behind that? Wouldn't it be much better to have proper fans instead (that cool the whole GPU, you know)

Seriously I have no idea why blowers are a thing, I guess price but that's ridiculous at what prices these things are going...

But yes, nice concept, I get it 2 = better than 1 ;)

It's because of multi gpu, sfx PC, servers and data centers. Which makes blower design popular. I just put myself a restriction to design a better blower card than any others (that sounded bold but I didn't make it terrible atleast XD)

4 hours ago, iavoe said:

servers and data centers.

Datacenter GPUs don’t have any fans

they use the airflow of the case

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Hi

3 hours ago, Drama Lama said:

Datacenter GPUs don’t have any fans

they use the airflow of the case

Hey you are being picky, you haven't came up with any flaw you've said

15 minutes ago, iavoe said:

Hey you are being picky, you haven't came up with any flaw you've said

It‘s still a very interesting design 

Here

8 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Wouldn't it be much better to have proper fans instead

12 hours ago, dizmo said:

12 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Hi

1 hour ago, Drama Lama said:

It‘s still a very interesting design 

Here

That's not the issue, and why bother to design, if you don't have limitations?

Final update: 80% more heat transfer area, and took VRM and capacitors' height into consideration, one of those fan can be shrinked to 80mm for a thinner card tho1531584111_pp.thumb.png.cf40ea5b55de3b44afd931e15aa51f22.png

Just add 2 examples of Nvidia GTX 1080 and AMD RX Vega, which shows this layout is totally possible without changing the GPU size, nor the fan size, it's just the layout of other components and cost

capab3.thumb.png.bb804b5695b925f1204ea6f9937f9e0c.png

capability2.jpg.1dc9de0fc42a2e9756092710a23bc9c1.jpg

capability.jpeg.530fac0662f9920f79fcf435ccdba8db.jpeg

At this point I feel blower cards are not using a larger radii fan could be due to it's thickness limitation*, but that can be solved by open up the other side of fan's PCB board completely aswell... so that might give a better design and a smaller card

*e.g., air becomes too fast to get to the end of fan blade as blower fans usually runs faster, causing some high pitched noises