Arctic Liquid Freezer ii 360 Questions

Hello, I have been pointed in the direction of the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 as a viable alternative to a Noctua DH15, or Dark rock pro 4.

CPU is AMD 3950X  wanted to ask how the AMD fitting is, how easy, this would be my first time with AMD and Arctic AIO. (well first time since about 2003 building an AMD system)

Thank you for any advice :)

Hi, I just upgraded from Noctua NH-U12A to Liquid Freezer II 360... 

Basicaly, it easily outperformed the Noctua while also being quieter. 

I have to warn you though, the installation is very easy if you got 3 hands, if you got only 2 hands it will be an issue if you have the motherboard already in a case. 

Basically you need the backplate that was preinstalled in the motherboard when you bought it and you screw the block directly on it with 4 screws... easy enough... but there is nothing holding the backplate and you need one hand to hold the block, other to screw and third to hold the backplate. 

I managed to install the cooler myself but I accidentaly learned yoga while doing it, I highly recommend a 2nd person to help you hold the backplate, otherwise its really simple. 

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I have to warn you though, the installation is very easy if you got 3 hands, if you got only 2 hands it will be an issue if you have the motherboard already in a case. 

Basically you need the backplate that was preinstalled in the motherboard when you bought it and you screw the block directly on it with 4 screws... easy enough... but there is nothing holding the backplate and you need one hand to hold the block, other to screw and third to hold the backplate. 

I managed to install the cooler myself but I accidentaly learned yoga while doing it, I highly recommend a 2nd person to help you hold the backplate, otherwise its really simple. 

No chance of a second person am in self isolation board is in case.

1 minute ago, Calranthe said:

No chance of a second person am in self isolation board is in case.

Then better prepare some tape to stick the backplate on the motherboard from behind, there should be enough free space to stick the tape on as AMD has very few SMTs around the socket. You can remove it after installation. 

Or install it on a motherboard outside of the case while it's laying on the backplate. 

Just now, WereCat said:

Then better prepare some tape to stick the backplate on the motherboard from behind, there should be enough free space to stick the tape on as AMD has very few SMTs around the socket. You can remove it after installation. 

Or install it on a motherboard outside of the case while it's laying on the backplate. 

Will work something out, Any ideas on Thermal paste to use ?

1 minute ago, Calranthe said:

Will work something out, Any ideas on Thermal paste to use ?

They include MX4... enough only for one use though. Its a good paste, I usually buy it separately anyways. But if you have a leftover from Nlctua it will do as well. 

16 minutes ago, WereCat said:

No third hand needed. Just put a piece of tape to hold the backplate on if your having trouble. 

Just now, narrdarr said:

No third hand needed. Just put a piece of tape to hold the backplate on if your having trouble. 

That's my advice down below as well :)

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

They include MX4... enough only for one use though. Its a good paste, I usually buy it separately anyways. But if you have a leftover from Nlctua it will do as well. 

This is a new build partially setup will tape it thank you. Buying the cooler cpu and memory on Monday.

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, Calranthe said:

This is a new build partially setup will tape it thank you. Buying the cooler cpu and memory on Monday.

spacer.png

make sure you can fit it in because the rad is a thicc boi 

That's vs the Noctua heatsink

IMG_20200829_143121.thumb.jpg.86527cc9c34ad15277a589cf9da75f5c.jpg

From the Enthoo Manual  it says a 140mm  form factor Radiator will fit up to a 420mm in the top fitting.  Can't find the exact width of a Arctic.

26 minutes ago, Calranthe said:

From the Enthoo Manual  it says a 140mm  form factor Radiator will fit up to a 420mm in the top fitting.  Can't find the exact width of a Arctic.

should be around 50mm thick with fans. Rad is 38mm.

Make sure it won't hit your RAM if you're mounting it on top

1 hour ago, narrdarr said:

Don't forget to take the tape off when your done mounting 

How exactly are you supposed to do that?

Removing tape that is attaching the backplate to the motherboard would require removing the backplate again, which means removing the block.

Or did you create some magical hocus pocus and break the laws of physics in the process?

23 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

Removing tape that is attaching the backplate to the motherboard would require removing the backplate again, which means removing the block.

Or did you create some magical hocus pocus and break the laws of physics in the process?

Why exactly would you need to remove backplate in order to remove tape that holds backplate to the back side of the motherboard?

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

1 hour ago, Falkentyne said:

You misunderstood. You don't put the tape under the backplate. You tape around the backplate, basically half of the tape is on top of the backplate and the other half is on the motherboard. 

Just temporarily to hold the backplate in place so it doesn't fall out while trying to screw in the cooler. 

Just make sure to not put tape on the small SMTs around the socket. There isn't too many of them. 

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

You misunderstood. You don't put the tape under the backplate. You tape around the backplate, basically half of the tape is on top of the backplate and the other half is on the motherboard. 

Just temporarily to hold the backplate in place so it doesn't fall out while trying to screw in the cooler. 

Just make sure to not put tape on the small SMTs around the socket. There isn't too many of them. 

Oh ok i was thinking of double sided tape.  (since some of the AIO's come with it on the backplate).

Just now, Falkentyne said:

Oh ok i was thinking of double sided tape.  (since some of the AIO's come with it on the backplate).

That's way too thick for the backplate, you'll put too much pressure on the CPU when mounting the cooler if you do that.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

8 hours ago, narrdarr said:

Masking tape works best. 

I have looked at the back of my case and on my desk I can either do it with Masking tape or *chuckles* a soft facecloth resting on my desk below the case where the back plate it kinda just holds it in place while my pc is laying down on that side :).

Did a test run, looks like laying the case flat on the desk with 2 thick face clothes underneath the MB against the back plate will keep the back plate in position both for removal of the default fitting and reattachment.

Moved my DVD Writer down in 5.25" cage to give a little more room.