Crypto miners are hoarding early shipments of RTX 3080s

Can these assholes switch to using ASIC already?

5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I hope this crap is fake. We really don't need this nonsense again... Also all this mining nonsense needs to die.

The only good thing to come out of the mining bubble, was dirt cheap RX 580.

58 minutes ago, X-System said:

It would be good if electricty companies raise the cost in kWh to crypto miners because it's not good for the environment. (8x RTX 3080 = 22.4MWh for a year !)

Except for Folding@Home because it's important to help the medical research :D

If your local grid is using Nuclear or you have Solar power on your roof...TBH it'd be fine

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

(B) Doubt

Not enough evidence to be honest. I was about to go look for an RTX 2080 or something from Inno3D with the same design, but screw that. The onus of proof is on them.

Either way, we already knew the 3000 series was going to be incredibly hard to get at launch according to other sources that talked about actual availability.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

was dirt cheap RX 580.

Thats because they ran the ever living dog crap out of them and knew no one wanted a card that could die within a short amount of time. 

I say when these people try to unload them, dont buy them. Let them be stuck with them. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

Thats because they ran the ever living dog crap out of them and knew no one wanted a card that could die within a short amount of time. 

I say when these people try to unload them, dont buy them. Let them be stuck with them. 

2 of my friends have had ex mining RX 580 for 2 years now. They still work like new. Even my 650ti is still fine, and it was running F@H for nearly 2 years straight at one point.

PMSL

12 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

2 of my friends have had ex mining RX 580 for 2 years now. They still work like new. Even my 650ti is still fine, and it was running F@H for nearly 2 years straight at one point.

From what I have read, many Miners were running those cards past safe limits. Plus I refuse to give them a holes any more. They deserve to get stuck with hardware they cant get rid of. Make it more difficult on them to recoup the cost of the GPU. 

7 hours ago, DuckDodgers said:

35aa0824ab18972bba914390f1cd7b899f510a79.jpg.f666c46f68981d78ea1c00bb6a3762b7.jpg

Ethereum Miners Eye NVIDIA’s RTX 30 Series GPU as RTX 3080 Offers 3-4x Better Performance in ETH.

Sorry Jensen, but as a Pascal owner this might delay the advertised upgrade by a long shot.

Sources

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/ethereum-miners-eye-nvidias-rtx-30-series-gpu-as-rtx-3080-offers-3-4x-better-performance-in-eth/

Didn’t ethereum move to ASICS years ago? 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

8 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Nvidia could code in AI to the driver to detect and gimp mining performance. Just an idea.

Hello? You reading this Nvidia? Yeah, get to work on that please.

They put a hacked BIOS on it anyway

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

6 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

will admit I just want miners to buy more Radeons and keep Geforce to the gamers since miners arent as bothered by crappy drivers

They can go buy Radeon workstation cards, my 5700xt and rx580 have never had a driver issue that I’m aware of, and the 5700xt provided way more performance than I would have got with nvidia.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

2 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

They can go buy Radeon workstation cards,

those loses the price advantage over Nvidia tho.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

those loses the price advantage over Nvidia tho.

Exactly, then there’s no headache for people trying to buy a singular rx5700xt or 6900xt when it comes out

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

I can see a resurgence of cryptojacking

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

6 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I hope this crap is fake. We really don't need this nonsense again... Also all this mining nonsense needs to die.

Depending on market demand for crypto currency (depend on the coin) hash rate, hardware becomes a fungible commodity; be it GPUs, CPUs, hacked Game Consoles, or ASICs.

The problem is that Nvidia has such a good price/performance ratio to the given hash rate that demand will raise the price to equilibrium. 

6 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

The problem with RDNA is that it lacks key feats that made Vega Gen 1 aka 56 and 64, Gen 2 aka the VII, and Furys better at it and other tasks.  The main benefits came from the combination of HBM and HBM2 backed by the CUs,  iirc.  RDNA was pretty craptastic compared to HBM and HBM2 offerings by AMD in several tasks while having advantage in gaming only from what I remember.

it wasn't hbm that made vega good for mining, vega actually underperformed on most algorithms compared to how much larger of a gpu it was vs the polaris cards, though there were a few where it did very well.

5 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Hot as in used or actual performaance for the task?   There's a bit of a difference there.   HBM and HBM2 cards were pretty much sought the most from AMD's side, and the hardest to get if you were a gamer during the shortage.

the oposite was true, polaris was more sought after as it had better ROI, and had more coins where it was good at while vega was only really good at a few.

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

You got it backwards.

AMD were the ones encouraging miners by doing things like releasing drivers optimized for mining and advertising their products as good for mining. Nvidia were trying to prevent miners from buying their cards.

Here is a topic from 2018 about Nvidia begging retailers to not sell cards to miners:

Here is my post from a couple of years ago about it:  

amd released a grand total of, drums rools please..... 2 updates with almost no difference between one after another, them that addressed mining, they also did try to get cards into gamer's hands.

3 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

hot, as in saught after.

I dont think RDNA2 will be using HBM if it's meant to go from high end to mid range or even low end, otherwise two versions of the architecture will have to be made with different memory controllers. HBM might be the only solution to high end Radeon GPUs' huge need on memory bandwidth if they dont want to make huge memory widths (512bit or higher) again, who knows.

amd can change memory controllers like one chooses which engine you want or car to have, its not a difficult thing to do, hell navi 10 has a hbm counterpart that only launched for apple.

2 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

It's using a GDDR variant which makes sense given that they're meant for gaming and not compute.   HBM2 is meant more for workstation/server cards as compute tasks is where you see the real benefit of it.  I'm curious if they're going to do a gen 3 of vega with it, or if vega is officially dead.

for straight compute amd will use cdna, their next gen 128 CU monster, but those wont have graphics pipelines so rdna 2 will still have to do really well for more general compute (3d rendering, a bit of Ai, etc) to be able to adress the professional market.

2 hours ago, X-System said:

It would be good if electricty companies raise the cost in kWh to crypto miners because it's not good for the environment. (8x RTX 3080 = 22.4MWh for a year !)

Except for Folding@Home because it's important to help the medical research :D

how is it any different to you and me playing games, dont throw around such authoritarian proposals.

50 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

From what I have read, many Miners were running those cards past safe limits. Plus I refuse to give them a holes any more. They deserve to get stuck with hardware they cant get rid of. Make it more difficult on them to recoup the cost of the GPU. 

The exact opposite is true, miners aren't stupid, they have ROIs to meet, costs to reduce etc, do you think that a overcloked card will give better ROI, it doesn't, most miners had underclocked cards with tuned memory settings, to reduce heat and thus have the card running as close to their peak efficiency as possible, and because of how many of the algos worked you wont even get much performance increase from overclocking the core 

2 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

how is it any different to you and me playing games, dont throw around such authoritarian proposals.

Do you play games nonstop (24 hours and 365 days, it's no life) and with many graphics cards at the same time ?

PC #1 : Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI | i7-7700 | Cryorig C7 Cu | 32GB DDR4-2400 | LSI SAS 9211-8i | 240GB NVMe M.2 PCIe PNY CS2030 | SSD&HDDs 59.5TB total | Quantum LTO5 HH SAS drive | GC-Alpine Ridge | Corsair HX750i | Cooler Master Stacker STC-T01 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz (plugged HDMI port, shared with PC #2) | Win10
PC #2 : Gigabyte MW70-3S0 | 2x E5-2689 v4 | 2x Intel BXSTS200C | 32GB DDR4-2400 ECC Reg | MSI RTX 3080 Ti Suprim X | 2x 1TB SSD SATA Samsung 870 EVO | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li PC-A77 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz (plugged DP port, shared with PC #1) | Win10
PC #3 : Mini PC Zotac 4K | Celeron N3150 | 8GB DDR3L 1600 | 250GB M.2 SATA WD Blue | Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB | Samsung Blu-ray writer USB | Genius SP-HF1800A | TV Panasonic TX-40DX600E UltraHD | Win10
PC #4 : ASUS P2B-F | PIII 500MHz | 512MB SDR 100 | Leadtek WinFast GeForce 256 SDR 32MB | 2x Guillemot Maxi Gamer 3D² 8MB in SLI | Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA | 80GB HDD UATA | Fortron/Source FSP235-60GI | Zalman R1 | DELL E151FP 15" TFT 1024x768 | Win98SE

Laptop : Lenovo ThinkPad T460p | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 2133 | GeForce 940MX | 240GB SSD PNY CS900 | 14" IPS 1920x1080 | Win11

PC tablet : Fujitsu Point 1600 | PMMX 166MHz | 160MB EDO | 20GB HDD UATA | external floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 800x600 touchscreen | AGFA SnapScan 1212u blue | Win98SE

Laptop collection #1 : IBM ThinkPad 340CSE | 486SLC2 66MHz | 12MB RAM | 360MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

Laptop collection #2 : IBM ThinkPad 380E | PMMX 150MHz | 80MB EDO | NeoMagic MagicGraph128XD | 2.1GB IDE | internal floppy drive | internal CD-ROM drive | Intel PRO/100 Mobile PCMCIA | 12.1" FRSTN 800x600 16-bit color | Win98

Laptop collection #3 : Toshiba T2130CS | 486DX4 75MHz | 32MB EDO | 520MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" STN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

And 6 others computers (Intel Compute Stick x5-Z8330, Giada Slim N10 WinXP, 2 Apple classic and 2 PC pocket WinCE)

Just now, X-System said:

Do you play games nonstop (24 hours and 365 days, it's no life) and with many graphics cards at the same time ?

Blushes...

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Undervolting the core is beyond safe limits?

PMSL

19 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

Unless your streaming to Twitch is gaming making you money? How many GPU's do people tend to have gaming? 1 maybe 2, not the amount coin miners tend to have. Coin miners are no different then the guys on Wall Street...... A bunch of greedy bastards that screw over other people. 

6 hours ago, eeeee1 said:

i was hoping that nvidia could just block ip's from buying more if they hit the limit but i am no javascript or whatever website programming language/api there is    expert.

IP blocks like that are a big pain given how many people share them. and if they wanted to get around it take out a phone

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

8 hours ago, RejZoR said:

One easy way to figure it out is if these things beat ANT miners or not.  If they don’t and there isn’t some weird law in China that bans ant miners but not GPUs it’s by definition garbage. If it’s marginal it’s possible that stats are being inflated and it’s still garbage.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, vortextech77 said:

People still crypto mine lmao

There may be additional drivers in other countries due to regulations.  There may be special stuff in China. I don’t know. Also if electricity is free it becomes free money. Just not very much.  Crypto mining more or less turns electrical power into cash at ever decreasing efficiency.  It will always probably continue in situations where electricity costs $0

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Yes