China proposes global digital rules against cyber-attacks, backdoors, foreign surveillance, and for user data to be respected

Delicieuxz

China and Russia already have a cyber-security pact under which they agree they will not hack each other.

However, China would like to get everybody involved and is proposing an international initiative that would regulate how governments conduct activities in the tech sector and towards other countries. The proposals call for respecting user data and they forbid backdoors in technology, foreign surveillance, cyber-attacks and data-theft between nations, as well as some other things.

No mass snooping, coercion or backdoors: China pokes US in the eye with global digital rules proposal

Beijing wants the world community to adopt a set of rules for developing the digital economy, which would endorse national sovereignty over data and oppose mass electronic surveillance in foreign cyberspace.

The code of conduct, dubbed the ‘Global Initiative on Data Security’, was presented on Tuesday by Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi at a conference in Beijing. While the name ‘United States’ was never mentioned in his speech, the official left no doubt that Washington’s recent attacks on the Chinese tech sector prompted the proposal.

“Bent on unilateral acts, a certain country keeps making groundless accusations against others in the name of ‘clean’ network and used security as a pretext to prey on enterprises of other countries who have a competitive edge,” he said.

Among other things, it means that countries should not “conduct mass surveillance [on foreign soil] or engage in unauthorized collection of personal information of other states,” he said. Governments likewise should not pressure domestic companies into storing foreign data on their territory.

The companies themselves must not install backdoors in their products to gain illegal access to user data or take abusive advantage of the dependence on their products, he added.

Upholding Multilateralism, Fairness and Justice and Promoting Mutually Beneficial Cooperation

The Chinese government has acted in strict compliance with data security principles. We have not and will not ask Chinese companies to transfer data overseas to the government in breach of other countries' laws.

China has taken a constructive part in multilateral discussions on data security including at the UN, G20, BRICS and the ASEAN Regional Forum, contributing China's input to global digital governance. In view of the new issues and challenges emerging in this field, China would like to propose a Global Initiative on Data Security, and looks forward to the active participation of all parties. Let me briefly share with you the key points of our Initiative:

First, approach data security with an objective and rational attitude, and maintain an open, secure and stable global supply chain.

Second, oppose using ICT activities to impair other States' critical infrastructure or steal important data.

Third, take actions to prevent and put an end to activities that infringe upon personal information, oppose abusing ICT to conduct mass surveillance against other States or engage in unauthorized collection of personal information of other States.

Fourth, ask companies to respect the laws of host countries, desist from coercing domestic companies into storing data generated and obtained overseas in one's own territory.

Fifth, respect the sovereignty, jurisdiction and governance of data of other States, avoid asking companies or individuals to provide data located in other States without the latter's permission.

Sixth, meet law enforcement needs for overseas data through judicial assistance or other appropriate channels.

Seventh, ICT products and services providers should not install backdoors in their products and services to illegally obtain user data.

Eighth, ICT companies should not seek illegitimate interests by taking advantage of users' dependence on their products.

I hope the Chinese initiative will serve as a basis for international rules-making on data security and mark the start of a global process in this area. We look forward to the participation of national governments, international organizations and all other stakeholders, and call on States to support the commitments laid out in the Initiative through bilateral or regional agreements. We are also open-minded to good ideas and suggestions from all sides.

It sounds great and would be wonderful to have in place, but I doubt it will be accepted. Many years ago, Russia proposed a cyber-security treaty with the US, but the US ignored the proposal. Then, a few year ago, Russia again proposed the establishment of an agreement on the rules of conduct of governments towards each other in cyberspace, and the US also rejected that proposal.

The US probably has a lot more skin in the cyber game than anyone, and the Chinese proposals against backdoors, foreign surveillance, and for respecting user data would be particularly inconvenient for the US government, given its propensity to leveraging those things.

NSA Built Back Door In Microsoft’s All Windows Software by 1999

Barack Obama 'approved tapping Angela Merkel's phone 3 years ago'

U.S. Agencies Said to Swap Data With Thousands of Firms

In related news, that illegal thing the NSA did was illegal: NSA surveillance exposed by Snowden was illegal, court rules seven years on. But programs like those will surely continue anyway.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

funny

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

USA will never agree to this, consumer rights are non existent there.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, WikiForce said:

wow, the irony -_-

It could be ironic, but not if the suspicions of the Chinese government having access to Huawei and certain other Chinese company user data aren't true and are really about ulterior motives - which many believe them to do. And, so far, we don't know that they're true. So, I think we can't really say if it's ironic.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

4 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

The US probably has a lot more skin in the cyber game than anyone, and the Chinese proposals against backdoors, foreign surveillance, and for respecting user data would be particularly inconvenient for the US government, given its propensity to leveraging those things.

2 minutes ago, WikiForce said:

wow, the irony -_-

3 minutes ago, eeeee1 said:

funny

It's a bold move for sure but I believe China is probably naive enough to actually believe something like this would have any chances to be accepted in the "freedom country".

Note: I also suppose discussion about this goes against forum guidelines, although it's a thin line maybe (although I do not believe these are "tech news" ala "tesla's newest bat shit insane invention that'll never work lol"...)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

-snip-

You mean China who has the upmost respect for their own people with regards to spying and they are totally not breaking international laws and human rights laws right? And there totally isn't anything that says something to the effect of the CCP can demand any information from any company at any time and they must comply? I mean the "Great Firewall" is just an illusion created by the West right and doesn't exist to control information that gets in and out of China? This is nothing more than a farce to try and redirect away from the abuses they commit at home. Maybe next they'll say "You shouldn't steal technology, patents, etc. from other countries" -.-

The US isn't exactly clean in all of this bullcrap going on in the world today either but to act like China is a golden child that does no wrong is just as ignorant.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

>china

>respect for user data

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Since when did China respect Privacy ? 

Hint: They never will.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

12 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Maybe next they'll say "You shouldn't steal technology, patents, etc. from other countries"

Ironically they already have such a law... a very strict one at that. ;)

It's true not everything they do is great and I'm also not sure about the deeper goals of the government (they do block access to certain things like youtube in certain areas) but they also do a lot of things right in regards of new media/ internet and a lot of what we hear and"know" is indeed western propaganda and often a free invention too!

Here's a tip: if you think and talk about China think about one of the richest countries with the highest high tech standards, basically a "turbo capitalism" state. Then you can still criticize it as you wish but not from a high horse ala "everything in the west is better" because it is clearly not.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Thread locked - I apologize, but this topic will not result in a productive discussion and it will be inflammatory.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White