Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Buying a GPU rn or waiting

I was looking into upgrading to a gtx 1660 super for Star Wars squadrons and to help apex run closer to 144 FPS at 1080 to 1440, and I finally chose one and was going to purchase it and then the next day the new ampere cards were announced. Should I wait and upgrade in a while and wait for 2000 series cards to lower in price on the second hand market or a successor to the 1660 super to come out, or spring for a 1660 super now? 

I'd wait for 3xxx to really come out. Because an increase in performance for a lower price will lower the dollar per performance. AKA things will become cheaper even if theres not a gpu that replaces the same area of performance.

5 minutes ago, FishNuggets01 said:

I was looking into upgrading to a gtx 1660 super for Star Wars squadrons and to help apex run closer to 144 FPS at 1080 to 1440, and I finally chose one and was going to purchase it and then the next day the new ampere cards were announced. Should I wait and upgrade in a while and wait for 2000 series cards to lower in price on the second hand market or a successor to the 1660 super to come out, or spring for a 1660 super now? 

I would just wait for the 3070 to drop cuz for 2080ti performance at only $500 you honestly can't beat it.

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO 47.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING ATX LGA1200 Motherboard 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Boosted to 4400MHz

Storage: Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2
Storage: Silicon Power A55 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda Pro 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Black Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Core P3 TG Snow Edition ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: CORSAIR RM850x 80+ Gold Certified
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
Monitor: 3x 27" AOC Gaming monitor with QHD 2K 2560x1440 144hz
Keyboard: Logitech G815 
Mouse: Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED
Headphones: Sennheiser RS 175

Mic: Blue Yeti

19 minutes ago, FishNuggets01 said:

What is your budget? Depending on how much you have you could score a great deal on a used 2000 series card. 

CPU:  Intel 10700k  5.2ghz @1.3V

Mobo: Msi Z490 Gaming edge wifi 

Cooler: Evga clc 360mm aio

Fans: 9 Corsair sp120 rgb pro 

GPU:  Evga Rtx 3070 ftw3 ultra gaming 

Ram: 32gb Corsair rgb pro ddr4 3600mhz 

Case: Lian li pc011 

PSU: Corsair Rm850x

Storage: 2Tb Samsung Nvme ssd

Display: Monoprice dark matter 34inch 3440x1440 144hz

Mouse: Logitech G703

Keyboard: Razer ornata chroma 

Wait. There is something fishy about the rush tactics of Nvidia. I understand that they had to come out swinging to secure some market share before Big Navi and consoles (with RDNA2 tech) come to market. But if the 2000 series launch taught us anything is that what Nvidia promises and what is actually useful...are two totally different things.

2000 series promised ray tracing...but only few games (mainly Battlefield 5) supported it. Not alot of people bought the game either...so you payed for alot of dark silicon you never actually used. I suspect this will be true for the majority of 3000 series life span: you are stuck with a lot of dark silicon doing nothing... unless Nvidia can turn those RT cores into regular compute units with a firmware update...

If AMD can make give a card that is between 3070 and 3080 at $600 MSRP...at lower power usage... and without dedicated ray tracing silicon? That would be a more sensible long term investment

Definitely wait for the RTX 30-series to hit the stores. Older GPUs' prices will probably drop so you can either get the card you have been looking at for cheaper or get a more powerful card for about the same price.

On 9/8/2020 at 1:12 AM, PriitM said:

Wait. There is something fishy about the rush tactics of Nvidia

Actually RayTracing is a big thing. there are hundreds of games coming that will support it (Call of Duty: modern warfare {2019} supports it). Most developers just didn't want to take the time to put it in because they were basically past that part in their game making process that they didn't see it worth the time or effort to go back and add it. The one big title coming out Cyberpunk  2077 has ray tracing. That and the 3080 is going to have way faster Vram that will be buffered directly to the card instead of going through the system memory. On top of have many more cuda cores and at the proclaimed 2x speed too. Yes they are rushing to get out before AMD but that's because they need to hit their numbers due to them releasing the cards at such a low price for performance than they normally would in order to make their margins. Big Navi isn't gonna be what all the AMD fanboys are hpping it up to be.

On the note of AMD they have yet to make a card that outshines Nvidia. They're a budget hardware company and the performance shows. The day AMD makes a product that out performs their counterparts at the same price point... I'll be shocked. With their CPUs it's the same, they may have the cores which is certain workloads does benefit but they don't have to clock speeds to out match Intel.

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO 47.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING ATX LGA1200 Motherboard 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Boosted to 4400MHz

Storage: Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2
Storage: Silicon Power A55 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda Pro 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Black Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Core P3 TG Snow Edition ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: CORSAIR RM850x 80+ Gold Certified
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
Monitor: 3x 27" AOC Gaming monitor with QHD 2K 2560x1440 144hz
Keyboard: Logitech G815 
Mouse: Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED
Headphones: Sennheiser RS 175

Mic: Blue Yeti