Uprading to RTX 3070/i7-6700k powerful enough?

Mexis
Go to solution Solved by Moonzy,
5 minutes ago, Mexis said:

What I'd like to know is: Should I wait and save more money for an even better CPU than the Ryzen 7 3700x? Because right now I think that Ryzen CPU would be nearly the same bottleneck for my system as my i7-6700k is right now.

depends on the games you play

i'd say, get the card, plonk it in, if you're happy then continue using it

if not, find out what's limiting you (monitor gpu usage and cpu threads individual usage), then upgrade that

5 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

Not really as long as you're doing it right.

so there's a risk of doing it wrong? :P 

Budget: 1070€ 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly Open-World games like Cyberpunk2077 (main focus), Horizon: Zero Dawn, the upcoming reworked Witcher 3, MMORPG's like World of Warcraft, Ashes of Creation and single player games like Detroit: Become Human // audio editing with Adobe Audition  

Other details Existing parts: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming (Mainboard) // Intel i7-6700k @4GHZ (CPU) // Corsair Vengeance LPX Series DDR4-2666, 16GB Dual Kit (RAM) // Geforce GTX 1070 (Graphics Card) // I'll only be able to play on 1080p because that's the max. resolution my monitor can do BUT! I love high frame rates and my monitor is running on 144hz so anything above 60 FPS would be great. // Samsung SSD 830 Series 128GB (Windows 10 is running on this one), Samung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (Storage) // The reason why I want to upgrade my system: RTX, overall better performance for upcoming games like Cyberpunk2077 

Hi! :)

I'm planning to upgrade to an RTX 3070. I read a lot about AMD CPU's and how they are better than most things Intel has to offer these days. Especially when it comes to pricing. 

I'm pretty sure I'll get my hands on an RTX 3070 but what I'm not sure about is if my current CPU will be a problem for performance. 

The reason why I'm so confused and need your help is the fact that most tests I found online show that the AMD Ryzen 7 3700x (the CPU I actually wanted to order yesterdy) isn't much faster than the i7-6700k when it comes to gaming. Most of the time both CPU's are quiet on the same level. I find that quiet strange since my current i7-6700k is from 2015 while the AMD Ryzen 7 3700x is from 2019. Beside the fact that both CPU's cost nearly the same today. Isn't the much newer Ryzen 7 3700x supposed to be more powerful if it's even in the same price bracket? 

I'm not in a rush to upgrade so I want to take the time I have and really think about what to buy and what not to buy. I'm pretty sure I'll buy the 3070 asap though so that's my "deadline" and the one thing that is for certain.
If it is quiet sure that the i7-6700k will be a problem if I just switch to a more powerful graphics card like the RTX 3070 I'd really like to know that before I upgrade. I'd also like to know which CPU would actually help to minimize the possible bottleneck.

I usually don't have much money to spend on these things so this situation is quiet special for me and I want to minimize possible and obvious mistakes. I'd appreciate the help! 

Julius  

The i7   might be a bottleneck but only mostly in high fps games ( like CSGO ) it’s still ok and if you buy the 3070 you could upgrade your monitor later to 1440p or 4K

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

An oc'd 6700k with a 2080ti is doing just fine so why not.

My CPU is running @4GHz and I'm too scared to overclock to be honest. 😐

For 1080p,

It's mostly going to be CPU limited, if it's the same performance as the 2080ti

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

6 minutes ago, Mexis said:

My CPU is running @4GHz and I'm too scared to overclock to be honest. 😐

Plenty of guides for that.

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

For 1080p,

It's mostly going to be CPU limited, if it's the same performance as the 2080ti

Which means that I'll have to upgrade my CPU if I don't want to bottleneck the hell out of my upcoming graphics card?

Just now, Mexis said:

Which means that I'll have to upgrade my CPU if I don't want to bottleneck the hell out of my upcoming graphics card?

I wouldn't worry to much about it, unless you're having frame pacing issue

If not, your games will still run fine, just that it's limited by the CPU, doesn't mean it's bad

But that's your next upgrade yes

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Plenty of guides for that.

Yes I know but overclocking is a risk in general, is it not?

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

I wouldn't worry to much about it, unless you're having frame pacing issue

If not, your games will still run fine, just that it's limited by the CPU, doesn't mean it's bad

But that's your next upgrade yes

What I'd like to know is: Should I wait and save more money for an even better CPU than the Ryzen 7 3700x? Because right now I think that Ryzen CPU would be nearly the same bottleneck for my system as my i7-6700k is right now.

If you're only playing at 1080p there's no reason to get a 3070. As for performance between Ryzen and your current CPU, it depends. Newer games will be faster for sure on Ryzen or a 9/10th gen Intel. 

7 minutes ago, Mexis said:

Yes I know but overclocking is a risk in general, is it not?

Just now, Mexis said:

If you really want the 3070, get that first and then see if you need a new CPU.

5 minutes ago, Mexis said:

depends on the games you play

i'd say, get the card, plonk it in, if you're happy then continue using it

if not, find out what's limiting you (monitor gpu usage and cpu threads individual usage), then upgrade that

5 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

so there's a risk of doing it wrong? :P 

Thanks everyone for your advice and ideas! You really helped me out a lot. 

After reading all your responses my plan right now is to wait for the RTX 3070, use it with my current rig and try to find out if my CPU is actually limiting the performance which I can do by checking CPU/GPU usage. If the CPU usage is like 80 to 100 percent all the time it should be obvious that this is the limiting factor. 

Thanks again guys! :)

PS: I used this site to test my two possible combinations https://pc-builds.com/calculator/
I don't know how reliable this website actually is but the outcome was quiet obvious (I used the 2080Ti as a placeholder for the RTX 3070)

Together with the AMD Ryzen 7 3700x the bottleneck is close to non-existent while paired with my i7-6700k the bottleneck surpasses the 10% mark which means there will be a lower performance than actually possible. 

Should I consider the calculation of this website or should I still wait and test it on my own?

The bottleneck will only occur if you try to hit 144fps+ or if any game maxes out your cpu 100 percent while playing it.

Chances are you will just hit closer to 120fps instead of 144+