(first "build") I don't want to loose all my data !

SnooPainting8310
I am about for the first time to "build" a computer, in fact it is an upgrade but everything will change except my HDD.

So I got 2 HDDs, one was for windows and the other for pure storage. And I plan on using them the same way with this upgrade.
My question is : Will both of my hard drive gets formatted ? Or just the windows one as I will obviously install a new win 10 on it. I have nothing on that drive only windows stuff... But I have all my personal files stored on my other HDD so do I need to back up everything on this one ?

Do you always have to format all your drives when upgrading the motherboard ?

You could simply leave the storage drive disconnected, while you reinstall Windows.. when you're done, connect the 2nd drive.

No, the Windows setup should never touch the 2nd hard drive, so your 2nd drive should not be affected. But, if you're paranoid, just leave it disconnected during install.

6 minutes ago, mariushm said:

You could simply leave the storage drive disconnected, while you reinstall Windows.. when you're done, connect the 2nd drive.

No, the Windows setup should never touch the 2nd hard drive, so your 2nd drive should not be affected. But, if you're paranoid, just leave it disconnected during install.

It shouldn't but there are many cases I've seen where it decides to put some small partition on there causing issues if the second drive is ever removed. I would say err on the side of caution and leave it disconnected to be overly safe :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

6 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Ok thanks... Then once it's done I just plug it and assign a letter ? Or will it be more complicated ?

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

It shouldn't but there are many cases I've seen where it decides to put some small partition on there causing issues if the second drive is ever removed. I would say err on the side of caution and leave it disconnected to be overly safe :)

I'll definitely do that

24 minutes ago, SnooPainting8310 said:
I am about for the first time to "build" a computer, in fact it is an upgrade but everything will change except my HDD.

So I got 2 HDDs, one was for windows and the other for pure storage. And I plan on using them the same way with this upgrade.
My question is : Will both of my hard drive gets formatted ? Or just the windows one as I will obviously install a new win 10 on it. I have nothing on that drive only windows stuff... But I have all my personal files stored on my other HDD so do I need to back up everything on this one ?

Do you always have to format all your drives when upgrading the motherboard ?

just disconnect the data drive and youl be good

Some EU input to Canadian IT :D 

On 9/7/2020 at 8:03 PM, Lurick said:

I finished my upgrade and I didn't even needed to format the system driver ! Like everything worked as if nothing happened ! Thou I start to get big trouble updating windows(image below), since then, as I moved from an intel cpu to amd, I am really wandering if I should just factory reset windows. Should I ?

It's weird for some software the performances are skyrocketing while for simple task as to save as a screenshot It take 20 seconds... I tested my cpu on cinebench20 and userbenchmark and my cpu got the expected results so It must be windows struggling with the new hardware.

update fail.JPG

userbenchmark.JPG

6 hours ago, SnooPainting8310 said:

-snip-

Yah, moving from Intel to AMD or vice versa you should do a factory reset to make sure everything is working at its best.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: