3080: Enough Vram for Next Gen?

SNerd7
On 9/9/2020 at 4:55 PM, BTGbullseye said:

It does not inject code. Not even a little.

Figured I would chime in, as the author of Special K you two are discussing ;)

RTSS/MSI Afterburner _absolutely_ injects code, I know this because I have several compatibility hacks in my codebase to deal with the code it injects. It would not even be capable of counting frames if it somehow drew its overlay from a remote process.

The reason RTSS works in some anti-cheat protected software is because it is code signed and whitelisted and the extent to which it patches executable code in the software it injects into is very limited.

Nonetheless, there is good news for both of you... the technique that I use in Special K for measuring VRAM is now available through MSI Afterburner's latest beta build. It has compatibility issues with some anti-cheat software, but so does Special K, so you're no worse off with Afterburner's implementation.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/msi-afterburner-can-now-display-per-process-vram.291986/

Edited by Kaldaien
Added link to article explaining how to use new Afterburner memory counter

On 9/8/2020 at 12:19 AM, MadPistol said:

Because it can and will. Nvidia knows what they're doing. They would not purposely gimp a GPU like that; it would be a PR nightmare to have a ton of angry consumers due to  their "flagship" GPU not having enough VRAM. 

Well it may be fine now, but what about 2-3 years from now? That's my question. 

1 hour ago, Kaldaien said:

RTSS/MSI Afterburner _absolutely_ injects code, I know this because I have several compatibility hacks in my codebase to deal with the code it injects. It would not even be capable of counting frames if it somehow drew its overlay from a remote process.

RTSS is a completely seperate program from Afterburner. RTSS injects code, Afterburner does not. (though MSI does tend to bundle them together)

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

30 minutes ago, farmfowls said:

Well it may be fine now, but what about 2-3 years from now? That's my question. 

All indications right now are that it will be perfectly fine for the foreseeable future. The only games that actually exceed 8GB right now are using all 8K textures with basically unlimited render distance and maximum detail levels.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

1 hour ago, BTGbullseye said:

All indications right now are that it will be perfectly fine for the foreseeable future. The only games that actually exceed 8GB right now are using all 8K textures with basically unlimited render distance and maximum detail levels.

So the 3080 20GB will be in the scale of buyers that can easily go for 3090 or am I wrong?

If what you say is accurate, will 3080 20GB be a cheaper 3090?

17 minutes ago, Consul said:

So the 3080 20GB will be in the scale of buyers that can easily go for 3090 or am I wrong?

THe 20 GB version of 3080 is a gossip or you have this info from a legitable source?? sounds impressive

3 minutes ago, Dream Machines Official said:

THe 20 GB version of 3080 is a gossip or you have this info from a legitable source?? sounds impressive

There are rumors here and there about a 3080 20GB being announced/released after Big Navi but of course... they are rumors. 

2 hours ago, Consul said:

If it's even a thing, (which it very well might not be) then it'll be priced significantly above the 3080 so as to not impact their 3090 sale, for which the 24GB is a big selling point. It will obviously be less expensive though. I would guess $1000-$1200, since that's what the 2080TI sold for. That's paying a $300-$500 premium for VRAM that will likely never be used.

The previous generation's choice of 11GB was due to memory bandwidth issues. 10GB this gen is still much higher bandwidth and speed than last gen's 11GB, so they don't have to waste board power and components on an extra VRAM chip just to remove the memory bottleneck.

I feel like we will probably be seeing one of these per day...

It's enough.  No one ever even usually thought about having more than 8 gb, as you didn't usually get it until you were at the ti / Titan level (which constitute a small population of gamers).  Until they launched a card with 1 less gb...

I previously played at 4k with a 2080 (8gb), buddy of mine has a 2080S (8gb) and plays 4k, guy at work uses a 5700XT (8gb) (though his framerates are a little low as it just doesn't have the horsepower for tougher titles).  Big AAA titles, w/ or w/out mods at times, witcher 3, RDR 2, SOTTR, everything maxed.  Still haven't hit 8gb use.

Next gen will not be surpassing 4k, we wont see real 8k gaming for the public until at least another console gen.   And while the new consoles will be a nice uptick in graphics, they will be unlikely to actually get 4k60 fps (they might advertise it, but the GPU isn't on track to actually provide the horsepower for it) on any game with a significant graphics load, with the GPU's in them.  

10gb is a lot of VRAM, it is enough

On the positive side of all this, going to make it way easier to flip my 2080ti's on ebay: "Actually be able to 4k game with more than 10gb VRAM! 3080 not enough for 4k!"

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar