The biggest Navi of them all - AMD now selling bicycles

williamcll
5 hours ago, soldier_ph said:

That moment when you realise that one of your favourite Tech Companies invested R&D into something that has nothing to do with Tech as we know and love it what so ever.

I kind of doubt they did though.  I think I’ve seen that frame elsewhere.  This looks like more of a marketing thing. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

My dad is a bike enthusiast and owns a bike shop and has been selling high end bikes of many flavors for close to 10 years. (Although strictly Trek for the past 2.5 years) and I have learned a thing or two from him. 

A) There is a reason why tires are black, because any other color will be stained by asphalt and dirt. Any other color will only look good when it is brand new. As soon as you put a mile or two on it, you will notice stains, and you really shouldn't bother removing them afaik. 

B) Also like @AndreiArgeanu said, that derailleur looks like shit. Its cheap AF, and derailleurs on mountain bikes need to be much more sturdy than normal roads bikes. From my knowledge and experience, MTB rear derailleurs get beat up a lot and I really really want GN Steve to beat the shit out of it with all the experience he has with mountain bikes. 

C) 21 speed means it has a 7x3 gears, 7 in the rear, 3 in the front. 3 is good for mountain bikes, but you will almost always be shifting the rear 7 bc a) front derailleurs have very slow shift times on almost all bikes. Also twist shift gear changers are lame and the handle will just be worn down after a couple years. Trigger shifters are much better, aren't hard to learn, and won't break down. 

D) Mountain bikes frames need to be sturdy and handle extreme velocity changes (actually acceleration changes, G forces) (jumps, landing, losing control and hitting something, accidents are much more common on mountain bikes, but the ride is really fun and makes up for it). For $300-350 I expect this frame to fall apart within an hour or two of riding purpose-built mountain bike trails. 

I am extremely excited to see gamers nexus benchmark this and beat this shit out of it. Also $350+ wheels are more common than you think amon enthusiasts. I have seen some of the best road bike rims (as in meant for races) go for $2000+, used. 

Imma send the images to my dad and see if he can figure out what the rebrand is. But I will do that later, after I see GN steve take the stickers off to reveal the brand. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

17 minutes ago, StDragon said:

What, no RGB!? 

*ducks*

*points at reflectors*

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

20 hours ago, williamcll said:

And from the specs I think most bike experts would rate this ride pretty poorly as well.

Yep.  It is Walmart level.  Not even the upper end wally world stuff with disc brakes.

1 hour ago, justpoet said:

Yep.  It is Walmart level.  Not even the upper end wally world stuff with disc brakes.

The best way not to judge is by ridding in the dark. AMD baby!

5 hours ago, Nathanpete said:

Also twist shift gear changers are lame and the handle will just be worn down after a couple years. Trigger shifters are much better, aren't hard to learn, and won't break down. 

Out of interest, what is the extra cost associated with a trigger shift?

I also personally hate twist shifts, but I can't imagine bike manufacturers would use them just to spite me.. surely there's s cost difference as well?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

12 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

...with a 21 gear Shimano? *doubt*. (maybe I'm misunderstanding something but that's what it says "all models" ...)

Just because it is Shimano it doesn't mean it is good. These days you'll only find 21 speed groupset on most basic MTBs. It's basically $15 rear derailleur paired with $10 twist shifters, which are not good.

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

13 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

...with a 21 gear Shimano? *doubt*

Trust me, I had a bike like that when I was like 10. Their tourney derailleurs, are the cheapest most entry level stuff shimano has. And the derailleurs on that bike are something under it, that Shimano doesn't even acknowledges the existence of on their website. Don't get me wrong, the bike works, but that's all I can say about it.

4 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Out of interest, what is the extra cost associated with a trigger shift?

I also personally hate twist shifts, but I can't imagine bike manufacturers would use them just to spite me.. surely there's s cost difference as well?

No idea. I haven't seen a twist shifter outside of kids bikes in years where I'm from. All I know is that they last longer. But ofc they must cost more than twist shifters or else they would be on this bike instead. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

3 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Trust me, I had a bike like that when I was like 10. Their tourney derailleurs, are the cheapest most entry level stuff shimano has. And the derailleurs on that bike are something under it, that Shimano doesn't even acknowledges the existence of on their website. Don't get me wrong, the bike works, but that's all I can say about it.

4 hours ago, Quadriplegic said:

Just because it is Shimano it doesn't mean it is good. These days you'll only find 21 speed groupset on most basic MTBs. It's basically $15 rear derailleur paired with $10 twist shifters, which are not good.

Uh, ok that makes sense I guess. I knew they make cheap gear shifts but I didn't think they make trash gear shifts too. 😃

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Basically a big box store bike. or a BSO... bike-shaped-object.

it is like they want to be the inferior option to Intel. Kind of the opposite of what they do with their current CPUs. 

That marketing person should get fired. What they should have done if they feel like selling bikes, sell a really good $3K threadripper bike, not this Walmart edition.

20 hours ago, soldier_ph said:

That moment when you realise that one of your favourite Tech Companies invested R&D into something that has nothing to do with Tech as we know and love it what so ever.

They didn't invest anything.

This is your typical basic mountain bike that you can get anywhere with an AMD logo on it.

Pro bikes can cost easily over 1k. This is only $300.

Both bikes are sold out so someone have been buying these. Poor souls. Probably more of a collector's item than for actual use - but even then, these things are fugly and just plainly looks 'cheap'.

If it's such a shitty bike, why didn't they put "Intel Integrated Graphics" on the sides instead? Woulda sold like hot cakes on a cold winters eve.

On 9/7/2020 at 6:31 AM, dizmo said:

Aaaaaaand this is why AMD is in such a poor financial position, among many other missteps. There's absolutely no reason to do this. I mean, I find most of their merch lineup pretty stupid, but this definitely takes the cake. Not only that, it's an incredibly bad product for the price.

I'm no expert but I really don't think AMD expects to make any profit out of these bikes and it probably doesn't have any impact on their financial report 😂

1 hour ago, IAmAndre said:

I'm no expert but I really don't think AMD expects to make any profit out of these bikes and it probably doesn't have any impact on their financial report 😂

It's not even so much about profit as it is loss and brand degradation. It costs far more than the simple acquisition costs, and when the people realize how poor of a product it is they'll think less of the company. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

13 minutes ago, dizmo said:

It's not even so much about profit as it is loss and brand degradation. It costs far more than the simple acquisition costs, and when the people realize how poor of a product it is they'll think less of the company. 

How many people will buy it for the "brand degradation" to be significant?  The people who are genuinely interested in getting a bike won't wait until AMD releases one and the people who like AMD products are only interested in their hardware. The only people who might be buy these are hardcore fans who won't really care if it sucks.

found it..its a titan pathfinder elite
https://www.walmart.com/ip/TITAN-Pathfinder-Elite-Dual-Suspension-Mountain-Bike-Unisex-21-speeds-18-Inch-Frame/536155858

shit just realized the ball breaker bar area is different sized...but the rest matches up

i bet its from titan but with the subtle changes, i dont see any other bike close to amds config

CLEARLY they're pandering to GN Steve with this product launch.

Oh shit, we might be gifted with a review from techjesus himself!

Rumors has it that AMD got so annoyed at people blaming them for bad drivers, that they created a product where their customers are the bad drivers.

On 9/8/2020 at 8:03 AM, HerrKaLeu said:

Basically a big box store bike. or a BSO... bike-shaped-object.

it is like they want to be the inferior option to Intel. Kind of the opposite of what they do with their current CPUs. 

That marketing person should get fired. What they should have done if they feel like selling bikes, sell a really good $3K threadripper bike, not this Walmart edition.

I'd buy an actually good electric mountain bike with AMD branding if the price wasn't stupid compared to other good bikes.

• 1 month later...

I am not even remotely surprised that it is crap.  To be honest, I found Steve's review a little obnoxious because he was taking it so seriously (at least as far as I watched.)  Anyone who is used to good bikes is going to know before even ordering the thing that is is a pile of junk, so I am not sure why he even bothered buying one.  But hey, they ARE completely sold out :D

I think it was a silly idea, but they are trying, right?  I will admit, that I am tempted to order that T with the 486 era AMD logo on it. It's pretty sweet.

1 hour ago, Warin said:

Anyone who is used to good bikes is going to know before even ordering the thing that is is a pile of junk, so I am not sure why he even bothered buying one

Because AMD was stupid enough to do this, and not do a high end bike, and there isn't any good reason to not give it the same treatment as any other product review. It's good to know exactly why it's bad, how it can fail etc.

But if you have been watching Steve long enough you can tell this is nothing but a complete piss take anyway.