Are curved TVs and monitors just a fad?

marklar1234

Will we see curved flagship "gaming" tvs in the futire?

Mainly curious about the TV side of things

Cheers

maybe once the many... many issues with them are resolved. most curved panels are VA which have problems being curved like uniformity and smearing issues. they are also more expensive so adoption rate is low. if you are not sitting directly in front of it at a specific distance away from it, then the image is distorted which is really annoying. 

For monitors certainly not.

For TVs, in the normal use of a TV pretty much yeah which is why curved TVs have mostly disappeared. Unfortunately for me since I use TVs as monitors and curved is thus good...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

My brother has a curved tv and I have a curved monitor. They offer a better experience for us when sitting directly in front of them. You do have to get use to the curve, but once you do, wider flat screens feel unnatural. curved TVs have mostly gone out of stile since you have to sit directly in front of them for a gold viewing experience.

Okay, so Id likely be sitting about 6 ft from the tv. Would a gargantuan tv like 77" curved mitigate the problems?

Curved TV's feel like a gimmick; as TV's often promote a larger viewing area, thus larger rooms, they will most often be viewed by multiple people.

A curved display is not practical if you're not sitting right in front of it.

Curved monitor feels like a gimmick if they are in the 16:9 (or narrower) aspect ratio.

A curve makes more sense on a wider monitor, as it brings the edges closer to your eyes.

The issue I do take with cruces monitors of any kind is that using multiple displays is rather impractical, as you're just not able to as easily view the side monitors fully.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

honestly found curved panels to be quite nice for ultrawide. recently went back to a flat ultrawide and it was really strange, but you get used to it. downside is that you can't set it to portrait mode

Funny to me, I asked on this forum a couple years ago whether any type of freesync of gsync  would come to consumer tvs. People scoffed at the idea and said it was never gonna happen....

So, i dont trust yall SOBs

JK love you