YouTube Autoplay defaulting to 360p

Stahlmann

Hello good people,

when i leave youtube to do it's thing on my 2nd monitor with autoplay, as soon as the next video plays, the quality always defaults to 360p. There is no issue with my internet connection. I'm currently running on a gigabit connection and don't have any dropouts. Is there any way to make Youtube always default to the highest quality available?

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

YouTube defaults to 360p due to the COVID-19 pandemic giving more traffic towards the site because everyone is flocking to YouTube, and their servers clearly can't cope. It's something you're going to have to deal with.

At best, you could set your desktop YouTube to 'prefer AV1' as shown below:

image.png.835201e8ccee81a4add64a12f9ce0b15.png

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

I use a Chrome Extension that does it automatically, can’t get it for you tho since I’m on mobile. It’s house be on the r tension store though. 

7 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Hello good people,

when i leave youtube to do it's thing on my 2nd monitor with autoplay, as soon as the next video plays, the quality always defaults to 360p. There is no issue with my internet connection. I'm currently running on a gigabit connection and don't have any dropouts. Is there any way to make Youtube always default to the highest quality available?

It does that when you block ads. In theory it should be doing that if the tab is in the background when the video starts with the assumption you're listening to it only.

<--- Youtube Premium member here

It hasn't messed with my resolution.  The only time it's ever done it is when my bandwidth is really low.  But it clears up once the pipes open back up.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

5 minutes ago, Rybo said:

<--- Youtube Premium member here

Just another way they're enticing people to pay for YouTube Premium. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Found an expention called "1-click-auto-hd". Trying it out now.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

@sowon @BlueChinchillaEatingDorito @Rybo @Kisai @gloop

On 9/6/2020 at 7:49 PM, Stahlmann98 said:

Found an expention called "1-click-auto-hd". Trying it out now.

Just an update, the mentioned extention works perfectly. I set it to 8K and now my YouTube videos always default to the highest quality. I'd rather use 20 add-ons than pay 10€ a month to this advertising hell.

I get up to 6 ads in one single 15min video without adblocking etc. That's crazy. We're almost at cable TV territory here.

7 hours ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Just an update, the mentioned extention works perfectly. I set it to 8K and now my YouTube videos always default to the highest quality. I'd rather use 20 add-ons than pay 10€ a month to this advertising hell.

I get up to 6 ads in one single 15min video without adblocking etc. That's crazy. We're almost at cable TV territory here.

Just keep in mind: when you see an ad, not only is YouTube getting money, but so is the creator who made the video.  When you don't see an ad, neither get paid. 

An increase in ads, annoying though it may be for end users, is amazing news for the YouTube community: it means that people can make money on the platform again.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

37 minutes ago, Rybo said:

Just keep in mind: when you see an ad, not only is YouTube getting money, but so is the creator who made the video.  When you don't see an ad, neither get paid. 

An increase in ads, annoying though it may be for end users, is amazing news for the YouTube community: it means that people can make money on the platform again.  

Sure i understand that. And i wouldn't have an issue with ads when it's only 1 or 2 at the beginning of the video. But the last LMG Clip about the RTX series which i watched on my phone had 2 ads EVERY 5 MINUTES. We're close to more ad than content in youtube videos. This is just ridiculous imo, so i'll use adblock.

• 1 year later...
On 9/9/2020 at 8:44 AM, Stahlmann said:

I'm having the same issue with 360p on all videos unless I select HD manually. I have YouTube Premium and not running any ad blockers. No VPN and a constant 70 Mbps via Ethernet. Any ideas or would I need an extension installed?

1 hour ago, TheMadSebb said:

I'm having the same issue with 360p on all videos unless I select HD manually. I have YouTube Premium and not running any ad blockers. No VPN and a constant 70 Mbps via Ethernet. Any ideas or would I need an extension installed?

So i figured out what the issue is. Earlier in 2021 it was just YT bottlenecking the quality to save on data during early days of covid when everyone was thinking the whole world will break down and everyone suddenly used the internet to do things.

Now it correctly defaults to auto again, which will go up to 4K for me. But when i'm in games and the GPU is maxed out the video will lower quality. It's basically the GPU sheduler deciding the fps of the game are more important than a background video. So you can get around this by limiting your fps lower that what your GPU is capable of. (Or tab out and set the quality to what you want whenever a new video starts, but this way you might see stuttering in the video)

I had similar trouble some time ago, so I installed Chrome plugin - YouTube Auto HD + FPS

I edit my posts more often than not