7700K runs fine when overclocked in Windows, but doesn't boot

IrisCZ

Hi, this is more of my curiosity than real problem, but it is surely something I haven't experienced yet. I tried playing with my 7700K's clocks and voltages, because I found out it was running quite hot recently (probably just the summer, but it is already 3 years old and always in use, so some degradation is possible). I managed to find great combination of clocks and voltages, which I stress-tested in Windows. Everything was running ok, I even managed to squeeze a few hours of gaming into the same session of testing.

When I wanted to set the values I tested to BIOS (I only set them via Windows utility), I found out, that I cannot boot with them. The computer either hangs on the motherboard splash screen or on boot up of Windows. I don't mind setting the overclock via the utility, however I find it bizarre, the same thing doesn't work through BIOS.

Did anybody experience anything similar? I would be interested in possible explanations...

Specs: (just for sure)

i7-7700K now at 4.5GHz (1.23V core, 1.08V SA, 1.03IO, 1.12PLL)

MSI Gaming M3 Z270

16GB Corsair 3000MHz RAM (2x8GB)

STRIX 1080Ti

Chceš poradit česky nebo anglicky? 😄

CPU: Intel Core i7 8086K, Delidded with Der8auer Custom Nickel-Copper IHS and Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra CPU Cooling: Scythe Ninja 5 with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Taichi RAM: 2x16GB Kingston Predator DDR4 3200 MHz 15-17-17-36 GPU: Gainward RTX 2080 Phoenix GS with Raijintek Morpheus II Core Black Heatpipe VGA Cooler, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste and 2x Scythe Kaze Flex PWM 120mm fans Case: SilentiumPC Regnum RG4T Pure Black TG Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Samsung 970 EVO 500GB, Seagate ST4000DM 4TB HDD, Toshiba HDWD240 4TB HDD PSU: SilentiumPC Supremo FM2 Gold 750W Case Cooling: 6x Scythe Kaze Flex PWM 120mm fans Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Mechanical Keyboard Mouse: Trust GXT845 Tural Display: Sharp LC-50LD265E Operating System: Windows 10

Simply, the overclock isn't stable enough to post.