Piece of plastic fell from my RM550x!

LubyMoo
Go to solution Solved by .Apex.,

BWD7bVDhMeigEdCUUKQQfA-650-80.jpg.91d30fddbc9b25bba11cf7271b030f07.jpg

Actually I think it's this one on the heat sink, same functionality, non crucial

PSU fan started to make a loud noise. Turned it off, removed my PSU and this plastic and copper piece was loose behind the fan. It runs just fine without it but now I'm afraid of damaging my PSU. What is this little plastic piece for and can I run my PC safely while Corsair handles my support ticket without it in place?

MVIMG_20200905_143443.jpg

I would avoid using it for now, unless you feel comfortable opening the PSU and seeing where it possibly came from(be very careful if you do). Considering it's specifically has copper on it, it was probably used for heat spreading or some kind of heatsink of sorts, possibly underneath the PCB. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

hPtjEJAYqtUVizBKzebzzi-1920-80.jpg

Seems to be a shield for interference to eliminate any potential noise from the inductor but it's not crucial, it shouldn't be a problem to run without it

(on the bottom left)

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

BWD7bVDhMeigEdCUUKQQfA-650-80.jpg.91d30fddbc9b25bba11cf7271b030f07.jpg

Actually I think it's this one on the heat sink, same functionality, non crucial

4 minutes ago, Syn. said:

hPtjEJAYqtUVizBKzebzzi-1920-80.thumb.jpg.ea0b61f0fad023b80228c43f045f5e08.jpg

Yeah this is surely it! The smaller one. I totally feel confortable opening it up but not confortable with voiding a 10-year warranty on a 3-week old PSU! Thank you for letting me know this is not crucial, I'll keep using it until I get a reply from Corsair.

Just now, LubyMoo said:

Yeah this is surely it! The smaller one. I totally feel confortable opening it but not confortable with voiding a 10-year warranty on a 3-week old PSU! Thank you for letting me know this is not crucial, I'll keep using it until I get a reply from Corsair.

I don't think Corsair can actually void your warranty for just opening it, based what the FTC has stated. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

1 minute ago, LubyMoo said:

Yeah this is surely it! The smaller one. I totally feel confortable opening it but not confortable with voiding a 10-year warranty on a 3-week old PSU! Thank you for letting me know this is not crucial, I'll keep using it until I get a reply from Corsair.

I would recommend against opening a PSU because of the potentially charged capacitors that are dangerous, but they should replace it for you without questions, it might not be significantly important but it's there for a reason and it's an issue with quality control on their end

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

I don't think Corsair can actually void your warranty for just opening it, based what the FTC has stated. 

I live in Brazil so customer laws may differ. Better not to risk it. I'll stop F@H for a few days and run it light for now.

20 minutes ago, LubyMoo said:

I'll stop F@H for a few days and run it light for now.

I don't think it matters that much to force you to limit your usage, most PSUs don't even have a shield for the inductors so it's safe to say that it'll be fine, but you paid for that laminated copper sheet dagnabbit!

Just now, Syn. said:

I don't think it matters that much to force you to limit your usage, most PSUs don't even have a shield for the inductors so it's safe to say that it'll be fine, but you paid for that laminated copper sheet dagnabbit!

I DID and this thing is less than 1 month old so I want a new one. hehe

I DID and this thing is less than 1 month old so I want a new one. hehe

how DARE they not attach it properly

31 minutes ago, LubyMoo said:

Yeah this is surely it! The smaller one. I totally feel confortable opening it up but not confortable with voiding a 10-year warranty on a 3-week old PSU! Thank you for letting me know this is not crucial, I'll keep using it until I get a reply from Corsair.

You will void the warranty for sure if you open it.

Best to contact Corsair and do an RMA.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

Just now, Syn. said:

how DARE they not attach it properly

Funny how one of the piece's sides has a very weak adhesive coating on it. It should be able to withstand the heat! Come on, Corsair.

if it indeed is a heatsink, the component it is cooling might overheat and cause damage

so use it at your own risk

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Ankerson said:

Best to contact Corsair and do an RMA.

Just did that 😃 Let's see how long they take to answer me. Unfortunately Brazil's support is done through a third party so it might take a while.

2 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

I'm not familiar with Brazilian consumer laws, but in the states, that isn't actually true. Corsair cannot void the warranty because you opened it. Even if it has a warranty void sticker, it cannot be legally enforced, per the FTC. 

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

I'm not familiar with Brazilian consumer laws, but in the states, that isn't actually true. Corsair cannot void the warranty because you opened it. Even if it has a warranty void sticker, it cannot be legally enforced.

They can and will. ;)

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

Funny how one of the piece's sides has a very weak adhesive coating on it. It should be able to withstand the heat! Come on, Corsair.

Ooooh that makes a ton of sense now since it was on the heatsink and you were F@H, i'mma grab my pitchforks real quick

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

if it indeed is a heatsink, the component it is cooling might overheat and cause damage

It's not a heatsink, it's laminated with plastic so it's sole purpose is to be a shield

I guess it is exposed on one side but it still wouldn't be a heatsink

Just now, Syn. said:

It's not a heatsink, it's laminated with plastic so it's sole purpose is to be a shield

well they put it there for a reason

it might be non-crucial, but you're still running it out of spec and it is at your own risk.

i wouldn't be too sure until corsair or jonnyguru says it's fine, since they designed it so they should know better.

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

Not too worried about that as this PSU runs most of the time with its fan turned off - it started making fan noise just because I was running F@H for the last few days. This PSU usually runs very cool. Turning off F@H should keep it cool for now. 

2 minutes ago, Syn. said:

Ooooh that makes a ton of sense now since it was on the heatsink and you were F@H, i'mma grab my pitchforks real quick

It does but I also use this PC to render videos for my YT channel! I'll turn the AC on while rendering to minimize damage. Not generating a ton of heat since I'm only folding with my CPU - my GPU is temporary and too old for that.

3 minutes ago, Syn. said:

I guess it is exposed on one side but it still wouldn't be a heatsink

Now... I might be wildly wrong. But my guess is that since it has this copper part inside it, it might be there to reduce noise or prevent some kind of spark or voltaic arc that might happen due to power instability. 

4 minutes ago, LubyMoo said:

I might be wildly wrong. But my guess is that since it has this copper part inside it, it might be there to reduce noise or prevent some kind of spark or voltaic arc that might happen due to power instability. 

nah, it's more about EMF

in a switching PSU, the switching on and off of a component will generate quite some electromagnatic noise that might induce current in nearby conductors, thats why you put a piece of thin copper there to absorb the energy

21 minutes ago, LubyMoo said:

Now... I might be wildly wrong. But my guess is that since it has this copper part inside it, it might be there to reduce noise or prevent some kind of spark or voltaic arc that might happen due to power instability. 

24 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

well they put it there for a reason

it might be non-crucial, but you're still running it out of spec and it is at your own risk.

i wouldn't be too sure until corsair or jonnyguru says it's fine, since they designed it so they should know better.

It is supposed to reduce noise and interference from the inductors because if you notice they're both positioned in a way to cover the inductors, and there won't be any sparks or arcs inside a PSU otherwise it would be a horrible design and even if there were, that shield won't catch the sparks because it's not connected to ground, if it was such a detrimental part of the design they would have attached it more securely, and as I've said most PSUs don't have a shield for the inductors, even the high-end ones