How bad is the NZXT H510 for airflow.

TheJedi

I've heard some things about the NZXT H510 non i variant.

Now I know this isn't meant to be good for airflow but I really like the look of it. The aesthetic is so clean.

Could someone explain to me why this case isn't reccomended. And if I will experience any issues building in this case?

System

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

Case: Phanteks eclipse P400A

Motherboard: MSI B550 Gaming Carbon WiFi

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 TI Gaming X Trio

RAM: 16GB XPG D60G CL16 3200MHZ

PSU: Sharkoon SilentStorm Cool Zero 650W

Storage: Crucial P2 1TB

Because the front panel is pretty much chocked and there's little airflow that can go through that case. 

It's not ideal but if you're dead set on it, it shouldn't be bad if you're powering not stupid hot running components. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

It's not a bad case, but you're definitely going to want to upgrade the default fan configuration a bit. It comes with only 1 intake (top) and 1 exhaust (back), so I'd recommend putting 2 120mm or 140mm fans in the front for a front-to-back aiflow configuration. The front has holes in the side for fresh air to come in, so you shouldn't experience any cooling issues. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

5 hours ago, bellabichon said:

It's not a bad case, but you're definitely going to want to upgrade the default fan configuration a bit. It comes with only 1 intake (top) and 1 exhaust (back), so I'd recommend putting 2 120mm or 140mm fans in the front for a front-to-back aiflow configuration. The front has holes in the side for fresh air to come in, so you shouldn't experience any cooling issues. 

No, just because there are holes in the front, doesn't mean those fans won't be choked.

Notice how the CPU and GPU temperature dropped considerably when the front panel are removed. That means under normal circumstances, the fan isn't getting enough air.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

So @Fatih19. Can I use this case and not experience issues?

Say the best GPU I will get will be a 2080ti, best case scenario. Or Worst case an RTX 2060 or GTX 1080.

CPU will be a Ryzen 5 3600 or anything better for £140 or lower

System

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

Case: Phanteks eclipse P400A

Motherboard: MSI B550 Gaming Carbon WiFi

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 TI Gaming X Trio

RAM: 16GB XPG D60G CL16 3200MHZ

PSU: Sharkoon SilentStorm Cool Zero 650W

Storage: Crucial P2 1TB

I have its predecessor and honestly don't have any problems with it even with an overclocked 8700k

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 hour ago, CloudPC said:

So @Fatih19. Can I use this case and not experience issues?

Say the best GPU I will get will be a 2080ti, best case scenario. Or Worst case an RTX 2060 or GTX 1080.

CPU will be a Ryzen 5 3600 or anything better for £140 or lower

I personally wouldn't buy it. A case is something that you can actually future-proof (unlike a CPU or GPU), something that can actually last up to 5 years or more without any performance degradation. Today, you might not be using too powerful of a hardware, but what if later on you want to upgrade down the line?

This is speaking from personal experience. I bought a Cooler Master Q300L because I liked its style and aesthetics. After building my PC, I figured out through reviews that the filter and minuscule hole on the front choked my front fan, preventing cool air to enter the case reliably. Now I'm stuck with it. I have a Ryzen 7 2700X and an RX 580, both aren't that hot of a component, but even now I'm having thermal issue. So now I can't upgrade to something more beefy, like an RX 5700XT, since that thermal issue would only be compounded. If I want to upgrade, I'd have to buy a new case (which is much more of a pain in the ass compared to upgrading a GPU or CPU since you're effectively rebuilding your computer). The money spent on the case could've been allocated to the actual upgrade itself. You don't want to be stuck with a bad case, it's better to get it right in the first place.

Of course what I've said is very subjective, and if you really like the style of the H510 you're free to buy it. If you do decide to look elsewhere, I'd recommend Cooler Master NR600.

Cheers!

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

To be honest the airflow is not great.

But it is way overstated here.

Especially for low to medium spec builds, where it's not great but it's also not a big enough problem to ever be a hard no in my opinion.

Pushing into hotter running, higher spec builds, definitely becomes a bigger issue so it should weigh more heavily in your decision making.