Upgraded to RTX 2070 SUPER and now can't set monitor refresh rate to 144hz

Qldkiwi

I just upgraded to a 2070 super graphics card and no longer have the ability to set my refresh rate above 60. I am using a hdmi 2.1 cable which is more than capable of 144hz at 1080p (it does 120 at 4k).

Is this common?

monitor.PNG.fd049dc71a6b7070a00b29b84f7e54c4.PNG

Maybe your monitor's HDMI input doesn't support anything higher than 60.  Usually you have to use displayport to get to most out of a gaming monitor.

Just now, marcgii said:

Maybe your monitor's HDMI input doesn't support anything higher than 60.  Usually you have to use displayport to get to most out of a gaming monitor.

I'll go out tomorrow and get a displayport, is there a specific type for 144hz or not?

it could also be a driver issue, if you upgraded from an AMD card you will likely need to do a run of DDU (display driver uninstaller) to clean all remnants off before installing your nvidia drivers. Doing a full removal and clean install can help clear up some driver bugs from a poor installation. What were you running your monitor with (type of cable?) before when it was allowing a higher than 60 refresh rate?

If your monitor did 144 over hdmi with your old card there’s no reason it won’t with the new card. 
Use DDU, wipe drivers and reinstall the newest ones for nvidia 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

1 hour ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

If your monitor did 144 over hdmi with your old card there’s no reason it won’t with the new card. 
Use DDU, wipe drivers and reinstall the newest ones for nvidia 

for my old card i was using dvi but my new pc doesn’t have a port for that

1 hour ago, Arrogath said:

it could also be a driver issue, if you upgraded from an AMD card you will likely need to do a run of DDU (display driver uninstaller) to clean all remnants off before installing your nvidia drivers. Doing a full removal and clean install can help clear up some driver bugs from a poor installation. What were you running your monitor with (type of cable?) before when it was allowing a higher than 60 refresh rate?

i was running a dvi cable, also this gpu upgrade is in a new pc and i haven’t transferred files yet so there should be no issue