Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

To Corsair or not to Corsair

I’ve been very pleased with the RM750 in my X99 build for 5 years now and have had zero issues with it. However, I’ve also built systems for others that had DOA Corsair PSUs. Being an audio engineer, my primary draw to Corsair is the zero-RPM fan mode of the RM models. Is there another company that makes a better power supply that does the same thing that I should be considering?

If what I'm posting has already been posted, I'm sorry.

I’ve had good experiences with EVGA PSUs in the past, their higher end PSUs are pretty quiet as well.

7 hours ago, marcgii said:

Seasonic.  I don't own one But Linus is constantly recommending them.  They even have a 700 W fanless model.

https://seasonic.com/prime-fanless-tx

Linus and his team don't review PSUs so he is not recommending them. Showcasing would be a better word and he uses Seasonic units because Seasonic provides them for his builds.

18 hours ago, B.Toast said:

Is there another company that makes a better power supply that does the same thing that I should be considering?

That does not mean the rmx is a bad unit, that happens with a lot of units.

18 hours ago, marcgii said:

I don't own one But Linus is constantly recommending them. 

1. brand is not quality.

2. linus gets  things wrong.

3.linus recommending a seasonic psu means nothing, a lot of those recommendations are from videos that were sponsored by season and/or seasonic sent units for them.

10 hours ago, marcgii said:

For clarification, are you saying the OP shouldn't bother with Seasonic altogether?   

No, im saying brand says nothing in terms quality, the model is what matters, not the brand.

Edited by TofuHaroto

Wārudobītā

CPU: Ryzen 3 3100. Board: B550m TUF plus. Memory: 16 (2x8) 3200 cl16 Hyper x Fury RGB. GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 1650 super.  Boot Drive: MX500. Case: Antec NX500 (Quite crappy. :p) PSU: CX450. 

Hehe, Meshify c is a kewl case. 

28 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

That does not mean the rmx is a bad unit, that happens with a lot of units.

1. brand is not quality.

2. linus gets  things wrong.

3.linus recommending a seasonic psu means nothing, a lot of those recommendations are from videos that were sponsored by season and/or seasonic sent units for them.

LTT is not the only place I've seen/read about Seasonic PSUs.   For clarification, are you saying the OP shouldn't bother with Seasonic altogether?   

1 minute ago, marcgii said:

LTT is not the only place I've seen/read about Seasonic PSUs.   For clarification, are you saying the OP shouldn't bother with Seasonic altogether?   

Seasonic, like many other manufacturer, has a wide range of product targeting different price segments. Each segment can varied in quality, because of that, you recommend a PSU by an unit by unit basis based on budget point that had been set. Yes, Seasonic PSUs can be reliable, but they aren't the only option and often time you may be able to find something better for your money.

Seasonic does support a semi-passive fan mode on some units, but the noisy/clicky Hong Hua fans Seasonic always uses are one of the main reasons they catch a lot of hate on this forum, so unless you're considering a fanless model, I'd probably look elsewhere based on that alone.

Zero-RPM is just Corsair's marketing term for a semi-passive fan, if you do some Googling you will find a number of units that support semi-passive fan operation, just compare those to the tier list here and choose accordingly.

Current build: AMD Ryzen 3600, ASUS PRIME X570-Pro, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2, G.Skill 2x16GB 3600C16 DDR4, Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SATA (boot), Sabrent Rocket 1TB NVMe (games/work), Corsair RM750x, Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, LG 27GL83A-B

6 hours ago, marcgii said:

Brand name, wattage or efficiency doesn't equal quality alone.

Have to go by the actual model of the PSU as all the brands make CRAP along with good units. Most of that has to do with trying to cater to all budget ranges so we see crap along with good PSUs from the same makers.

The problems start when the CRAP units are recommended for systems they weren't designed to be in. ;)

Or people buy only based on price alone and they end up in systems they weren't designed to be in. ;)

That's said do the research and find the model that best suits the system.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

I hugely appreciate all of the responses to this and the discussion that has developed. My particular question I suppose is: is the RMX a good PSU? If it's crap, then I obviously don't want it. 

Also, "semi-passive" is a term I was hitherto unfamiliar with, so I am thankful for the education. I will be searching this term.

24 minutes ago, B.Toast said:

I hugely appreciate all of the responses to this and the discussion that has developed. My particular question I suppose is: is the RMX a good PSU? If it's crap, then I obviously don't want it. 

Also, "semi-passive" is a term I was hitherto unfamiliar with, so I am thankful for the education. I will be searching this term.

RMx is one of the best PSUs out there in terms of build quality.

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: Asus Dual OC 2080  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Acer XG270HU (27" 1440p 144hz TN), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

12 minutes ago, MrBrightSyde said:

RMx is one of the best PSUs out there in terms of build quality.

Okay thank you. I was curious because the 2018 RMx is going for about $145 right now whereas the HX is going for well over $200. :)

20 minutes ago, B.Toast said:

Okay thank you. I was curious because the 2018 RMx is going for about $145 right now whereas the HX is going for well over $200. :)

That's about right, the HX is a step up from the RMX in Corsairs lineup so...

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.