Thermal throttling few days after repasting.

I have repasted my laptop after it was running hot(97+°C CPU, 85°C GPU) while gaming. Just after applying the paste I ran intel XTU stress test for 3 hours during which the CPU temps never crossed 80°C and the clock speed was also consistent with no thermal throttling whatsoever. One week later the CPU thermal throttles like hell and is back to 98°C. GPU also is back to 85. The weirdest thing is all this has happened thrice. I have repasted 3 times only to get 1 week of cool performance each time. Why does this happen?

Themal Paste: Arctic Silver 5

Laptop: HP Omen 15 2019(dh-0138tx)

CPU: i7-9750H

GPU: RTX 2070 Max Q

CPU undervolt: - 0.150V

Ambient temperature: around 25°C

2 minutes ago, snack0verflow said:

I have repasted my laptop after it was running hot(97+°C CPU, 85°C GPU) while gaming. Just after applying the paste I ran intel XTU stress test for 3 hours during which the CPU temps never crossed 80°C and the clock speed was also consistent with no thermal throttling whatsoever. One week later the CPU thermal throttles like hell and is back to 98°C. GPU also is back to 85. The weirdest thing is all this has happened thrice. I have repasted 3 times only to get 1 week of cool performance each time. Why does this happen?

Themal Paste: Arctic Silver 5

Laptop: HP Omen 15 2019(dh-0138tx)

CPU: i7-9750H

GPU: RTX 2070 Max Q

CPU undervolt: - 0.150V

Ambient temperature: around 25°C

Have you tried a different paste?

CPU: Intel Core i7 8086K, Delidded with Der8auer Custom Nickel-Copper IHS and Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra CPU Cooling: Scythe Ninja 5 with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Taichi RAM: 2x16GB Kingston Predator DDR4 3200 MHz 15-17-17-36 GPU: Gainward RTX 2080 Phoenix GS with Raijintek Morpheus II Core Black Heatpipe VGA Cooler, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste and 2x Scythe Kaze Flex PWM 120mm fans Case: SilentiumPC Regnum RG4T Pure Black TG Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Samsung 970 EVO 500GB, Seagate ST4000DM 4TB HDD, Toshiba HDWD240 4TB HDD PSU: SilentiumPC Supremo FM2 Gold 750W Case Cooling: 6x Scythe Kaze Flex PWM 120mm fans Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Mechanical Keyboard Mouse: Trust GXT845 Tural Display: Sharp LC-50LD265E Operating System: Windows 10

1 minute ago, H6NS said:

Have you tried a different paste?

No, could that really be a paste problem?

I was also experiencing a weird thing with the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, which was supposed to be a high quality thermal paste, but after applying it on my 8086K, the temperature during a stess test was worse than with some generic thermal paste I got with the AiO.

CPU: Intel Core i7 8086K, Delidded with Der8auer Custom Nickel-Copper IHS and Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra CPU Cooling: Scythe Ninja 5 with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Taichi RAM: 2x16GB Kingston Predator DDR4 3200 MHz 15-17-17-36 GPU: Gainward RTX 2080 Phoenix GS with Raijintek Morpheus II Core Black Heatpipe VGA Cooler, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste and 2x Scythe Kaze Flex PWM 120mm fans Case: SilentiumPC Regnum RG4T Pure Black TG Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Samsung 970 EVO 500GB, Seagate ST4000DM 4TB HDD, Toshiba HDWD240 4TB HDD PSU: SilentiumPC Supremo FM2 Gold 750W Case Cooling: 6x Scythe Kaze Flex PWM 120mm fans Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Mechanical Keyboard Mouse: Trust GXT845 Tural Display: Sharp LC-50LD265E Operating System: Windows 10

Make sure the fans are not obstructed in any way and are getting good airflow. Also make sure the cooler is on properly and not loose.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

2 minutes ago, H6NS said:

I was also experiencing a weird thing with a Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, which is supposed to be a really high quality thermal paste, but after applying it on my 8086K, the temperature during a stess test was worse than with some generic thermal paste I got in the AiO.

I see, but why would a paste work well at first then? 

1 minute ago, snack0verflow said:

I see, but why would a paste work well at first then? 

I don't know. Maybe it's old and it separated the water from the paste. The water then accumulated in the front of the tube and after a while on the heatsink it evaporated? Try to mix it well before installation. This is the only thing I can think of. 

Yeah, similar things happened with the Artic MX-4 on my ThinkPad P53. I'm regularly hitting 100C in Fallout 4 right now. Going to try again with Kryonaut.

Those temps are normal.

You saw lower temps in XTU because your GPU wasn’t being stressed in conjunction with the processor. Gaming uses both and is going to generate more heat. XTU also isn’t a great source for torturing a processor, use prime95 next time.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Well XTU hit 100C again. It didn't when I first changed out my thermal paste to MX-4. Well, my Kryonaut arrived today. Let's see how it does.