Does Raspberry Pi Have a Backdoor Like Intel ME

just like the title says, Intel and AMD all have a backdoor in them which are potential vulnerabilities. my question is does a raspberry pi have one? obviously their are different chips for different rasberry pis but in general do they? thank you very much

7 minutes ago, zombiepixel said:

just like the title says, Intel and AMD all have a backdoor in them which are potential vulnerabilities. my question is does a raspberry pi have one? obviously their are different chips for different rasberry pis but in general do they? thank you very much

Well, first of all, we don't know if Intel's ME or AMD's PSP have backdoors. It's only presumed.

The Raspberry Pi is based on ARM chips, which are prevalent in mobile phones. Is it possible? Maybe.

The Pi 4, for example, is based on the Cortex A72 CPU, as part of the Broadcom BCM2711 SoC.

The datasheet is available here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bcm2711/rpi_DATA_2711_1p0.pdf

As far as we know, there isn't a management engine in this chip similar to Intel ME or AMD PSP. The SoC still incorporates baked in code:

image.png.ace17ae38ea4abea8745fad6f43cfde3.png

(https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/booteeprom.md)

So, probably not. But maybe.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

17 hours ago, svmlegacy said:

Well, first of all, we don't know if Intel's ME or AMD's PSP have backdoors. It's only presumed.

The Raspberry Pi is based on ARM chips, which are prevalent in mobile phones. Is it possible? Maybe.

The Pi 4, for example, is based on the Cortex A72 CPU, as part of the Broadcom BCM2711 SoC.

The datasheet is available here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bcm2711/rpi_DATA_2711_1p0.pdf

As far as we know, there isn't a management engine in this chip similar to Intel ME or AMD PSP. The SoC still incorporates baked in code:

(https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/booteeprom.md)

So, probably not. But maybe.

thanks for that! do you know anything about risc v

17 minutes ago, zombiepixel said:

thanks for that! do you know anything about risc v

RISC-V is an open source architecture. 

Just like ARM or x86, there isn't known backdoors in the architecture itself, but rather the implementations of that.

So for RISC-V, you'd need a chip developer to produce it in an open-source fashion, something which really isn't seen. The Kendryte K210 is open source, as far as I know (and I do own one). You'll also need to make sure your commication chips are also open source, which is harder yet for wireless.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

• 3 months later...

Yes,

The Raspberry Pi has a secondary os running in the GPU that has been designed to hide the details.

If the Raspberry Pi Foundation really wanted to educate people, it would include the documentation. Based upon ARM's 500+ page manuals, releasing the document might slow the progress of an exploit.

Many experts agree that there is no security in obscurity. China understands this and decided to take RISC-V to fabrication.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2020 at 1:35 PM, tk3 said:

Yes,

The Raspberry Pi has a secondary os running in the GPU that has been designed to hide the details.

If the Raspberry Pi Foundation really wanted to educate people, it would include the documentation. Based upon ARM's 500+ page manuals, releasing the document might slow the progress of an exploit.

Many experts agree that there is no security in obscurity. China understands this and decided to take RISC-V to fabrication.

sorry for late reply. thank you for this details. do you really think risc-v has a shot at taking down the big guys? intel/arm/amd?