so, I found some weird parts in a computer I inherited, and I've checked all over google and havent found anything like it

Malwaresoft

so, I was working on a rig I inherited from my uncle, (specs not fully known because the PSU is broken and I couldnt find a replacement for it), runs windows 95 and has (I think) 256mb of RAM, and is a prebuilt by a company called micron. When I was taking out all the parts to put on display after discovering that I was unable to fix the PC, I found the part in the links mentioned below, it has an intel pentium iii badge on it, but it doesnt seem to be a processor, it plugs into a part that resembles a RAM slot, with what is most likely a CPU slot right next to it, does anyone have a clue what this might be.
20200903_132511.jpg20200903_132503.jpg20200903_132452.jpg

7 minutes ago, Malwaresoft said:

a prebuilt by a company called micron.

The same Micron that owns Crucial memory?

7 minutes ago, Malwaresoft said:

it has an intel pentium iii badge on it, but it doesnt seem to be a processor, it plugs into a part that resembles a RAM slot, with what is most likely a CPU slot right next to it, does anyone have a clue what this might be.

Some Pentium CPU's used a slot, instead of socket design: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slot_1

EDIT: relevant, Nicky V blowing a CPU (not clickbait):

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, minibois said:

The same Micron that owns Crucial memory?

sounds right

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Believe it or not that is in fact an intel Pentium 3 550 slot CPU. The thermal solution varies by PC, but this is generally what they look like: gOO9kw3IMwUvYY9zf8JlNuShuak5qCxxO5c0ICUt

Definitely an odd CPU if you've never seen one like it before, but some old PCs did have CPUs that mount in a slot on the motherboard similarly to RAM or a GPU. I've actually seen one of these myself when I was taking apart an old PC I found in my grandparents attic (with their permission) and at the time had no idea what it was.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

Just now, Caroline said:

For just $2500

wow that seem like a high end system back then

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

AMD also had slot A processors ... they bought the bus and some other bits from Alpha and used the slot... then moved back to sockets.

Close look at AMD Athlon (Slot A "K7") Motherboard & CPU - Akihabara Junk  Finds - YouTube

Anyway... there's a sticker on top of that thing, I can see the printed text in one of the pictures. That would have told you what it is.

The circuit board contains the cpu and some cache memory chips (128-256 KB depending on model, if my memory is correct... celeron models had 128 KB I think)

10 minutes ago, Caroline said:

It had a 2MB graphics card and 8MB RAM, enough to run Wolf 3D on high resolutions

then there is my system that can't even play valorent

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

That's an OEM based Intel slot 1 CPU, retail ones have an Intel branded fan on it and it's difficult to remove. My 1st PC has a Pentium 3 slot 1 CPU, even though my board takes both slot and socket CPUs. This was when Intel was transitioning back and permanently to sockets, but I've opt for slot 1 for its easy installation and less physical breaking. During that time, socket clips were fragile and made like crap, so it breaks easily. Slot 1 was the better option.
As someone else had mentioned AMD also had a slot CPU back then called Slot A.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list