360Hz monitor worth buying over Samsung Odyssey G7?

Harit Paurana

Edit: I posted this in the GPU section by mistake so I’m posting in the displays forum.

Hey guys, so I shall be building a new PC in Jan '21, and I'll have the intel 10900K along with the RTX 3090. I was kinda confused for the monitor though. Originally, I was thinking of going with the 27" Samsung Odyssey G7 which has 240hz refresh, but now that 360hz monitors are coming, I'm thinking of going with the Alienware 360hz one. The thing is, I am a competitive player, but I also like to play immersive games like Flight Sim 2020 and Assetto Corsa. I'm quite sure my GPU can run games at 360 fps but I'm not sure if the 25 inch will be as immersive as the Odyssey G7, and plus it isn't curved like the G7. Could yall help me come to a decision please? Will the 25 inch be good for immersive and rpg games? Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks!

The difference between 240Hz and 360Hz is pretty much negligible.

If you like the G7 more then go for it, you're not missing really on anything by not picking up 360Hz.

19 minutes ago, Harit Paurana said:

Originally, I was thinking of going with the 27" Samsung Odyssey G7 which has 240hz refresh, but now that 360hz monitors are coming, I'm thinking of going with the Alienware 360hz one. The thing is, I am a competitive player, but I also like to play immersive games like Flight Sim 2020 and Assetto Corsa. I'm quite sure my GPU can run games at 360 fps but I'm not sure if the 25 inch will be as immersive as the Odyssey G7, and plus it isn't curved like the G7. Could yall help me come to a decision please? Will the 25 inch be good for immersive and rpg games? Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks!

If you want the best monitor for FPS or competitive games wait for the 360 Hz monitors they will have a special nvidia low latency module. If you want the most immersive monitor get one of the curved Samsung ones, or get both.

SPEC LIST:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X w/ NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm Liquid Cooler
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 5000MHz CL18
  • Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Godlike
  • SSD: Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 1TB (x3)
  • PSU: Corsair AX1600i
  • Case: NZXT H710
  • Monitor: Alienware AW2521H 25inch 360Hz 1ms

1440p 240Hz IPS monitors will be out by then, tbh, I’d pick that over the G7. 

The 360Hz is useful for having the fastest, with the least input lag. 

It’s also a IPS with great DCI-P3 coverage. 

I’m also waiting for the AlienWare version. 

19 hours ago, cpm9 said:

If you want the best monitor for FPS or competitive games wait for the 360 Hz monitors they will have a special nvidia low latency module. If you want the most immersive monitor get one of the curved Samsung ones, or get both.

I'mma play Fortnite and CS GO for the most, but I'mma also play Flight Sim 2020 and Assetto Corsa

1 minute ago, Harit Paurana said:

I'mma play Fortnite and CS GO for the most, but I'mma also play Flight Sim 2020 and Assetto Corsa

I'm also gonna watch a lotta content, I just hope the G7 won't spoil the viewing experience as it is curved

Just now, Harit Paurana said:

I'm also gonna watch a lotta content, I just hope the G7 won't spoil the viewing experience as it is curved

The main question is would there be a SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE OR ADVANTAGE of 360hz?

2 hours ago, Harit Paurana said:

The main question is would there be a SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE OR ADVANTAGE of 360hz?

360 Hz is a major advantage for fast paced multiplayer FPS games like csgo or fortnite or warzone etc. If you play more singleplayer games or casual games then a 4K IPS would be better. Its up to you to decide. Also, do not get the i9-10900K with the RTX 3090 because Intel does not have PCIe 4 yet, you should get Ryzen 3000 or 4000 or wait for Intel 11th gen.

SPEC LIST:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X w/ NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm Liquid Cooler
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 5000MHz CL18
  • Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Godlike
  • SSD: Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 1TB (x3)
  • PSU: Corsair AX1600i
  • Case: NZXT H710
  • Monitor: Alienware AW2521H 25inch 360Hz 1ms

12 minutes ago, cpm9 said:

360 Hz is a major advantage for fast paced multiplayer FPS games like csgo or fortnite or warzone etc. If you play more singleplayer games or casual games then a 4K IPS would be better. Its up to you to decide. Also, do not get the i9-10900K with the RTX 3090 because Intel does not have PCIe 4 yet, you should get Ryzen 3000 or 4000 or wait for Intel 11th gen.

I'mma play FPS games 90% of the times, but I also don't wish to lose immersion while watching content or while playing Flight Sim... I was just confused if there is a highly obvious or noticable difference between 360 and 240

There isn't, if you're not going to play LoL or CS:GO competitively.

The fact that the 360hz costs the same is really a waste of time.

I would just grab the G7 or even a 27GN950 and call it a day.....

$700 for a 1080p display is nuts.

As a wise master once said, 

Put as much effort into your question as you would expect a stranger to add to their answer!

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 5 3800XT | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 4000Mhz CL18 | MSI RX 5700 XT Gaming X | Two WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe SSD | Corsair AX850 Titanium | Fractal Design Define 7 White, Solid

Laptop: Apple Macbook Pro 16 | i9 9980H | 16 GB RAM |  1TB SSD | AppleCare+ | Space Grey

Peripherals: RAMA U-80 Lake | Logitech MX Master 3 | Kanto YU2 White + Beyerdynamic DT 177X GO 

Displays: LG GX 55"| Acer XB273K | Dell Ultrasharp U2720Q | LG 32UN650-W 

10 minutes ago, Duckson McQuack said:

There isn't, if you're not going to play LoL or CS:GO competitively.

The fact that the 360hz costs the same is really a waste of time.

I would just grab the G7 or even a 27GN950 and call it a day.....

$700 for a 1080p display is nuts.

I'll do that then, thanks!