Should I buy Synology or building from my old pc parts?

Hello, I'm new in this forum, and I was wondering should I turn my old parts :

Cpu : i5 6600 

Mobo : msi b150A gaming pro

Ram : Corsair vengeance 16gb (2x8) 2666 ddr4

PSU Corsair cxm 750w

And I already have decent Case & cpu cooler. 

Or should I just sell them and buy a synology D720+ instead? 

Those parts are many times more powerful than anything Synology sells. If you're willing to sacrifice the performance for ease of use then maybe it'll be worth it to you, but if you want to do anything intensive with your NAS like run a Plex server then you should stick with your old parts.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Does Synology's OS or hardware do anything for you that you want to to have?  The only thing I can think of that they might be able to do that your PC won't be able to do is hot swap hard drives and fit into smaller areas, but I'm not intimately familiar with Synology, so I'm probably missing some functionality :)

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

9 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Those parts are many times more powerful than anything Synology sells. If you're willing to sacrifice the performance for ease of use then maybe it'll be worth it to you, but if you want to do anything intensive with your NAS like run a Plex server then you should stick with your old parts.

Soo, should I add anything to the build then? And with this build, should I buy the hdd exclusive for NAS (Ironwolf) or just normal hdd (Barracuda /Firecuda)? 

2 minutes ago, BartholomewK said:

Soo, should I add anything to the build then? And with this build, should I buy the hdd exclusive for NAS (Ironwolf) or just normal hdd (Barracuda /Firecuda)? 

Your parts are fine, but are meant for a normal desktop pc. On a NAS you need something small ( mini-itx ) with a low powered ATOM cpu that you can keep on 24/7 and dont care about heat and power requirements

should I buy the hdd exclusive for NAS (Ironwolf) or just normal hdd (Barracuda /Firecuda)? 

My understanding is that you generally want specialized NAS drives (WD Red, Ironwolf) or enterprise server drives (WD Gold) for NAS setups.  If it's primarily a storage server, you can get away with slower drives.  It's unlikely you will need faster performance HDDs for a storage NAS.

2 minutes ago, Rybo said:

Does Synology's OS or hardware do anything for you that you want to to have?  The only thing I can think of that they might be able to do that your PC won't be able to do is hot swap hard drives and fit into smaller areas, but I'm not intimately familiar with Synology, so I'm probably missing some functionality :)

I don't know either tbh, I just want to get rid my hdd from my primary pc, and keep my data elsewhere. I'm interested with remote access 

6 minutes ago, BartholomewK said:

That system is pretty ready to go. Nothing really you need to do.

Id probably get nas drives if you can, but if you want cheap storage, shuck external drives.

1 minute ago, BartholomewK said:

I don't know either tbh, I just want to get rid my hdd from my primary pc, and keep my data elsewhere. I'm interested with remote access 

then a simple cifs/smb share will work fine. No need for anything special. Just run something like unraid or freenas for ease of use

3 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

Your parts are fine, but are meant for a normal desktop pc. On a NAS you need something small ( mini-itx ) with a low powered ATOM cpu that you can keep on 24/7 and dont care about heat and power requirements

Yea my old case is big though, but if I want to change that, I will have to buy another mobo and case 🙃 or maybe I should just sell those and buy decent server cpu? 

Just now, BartholomewK said:

Yea my old case is big though, but if I want to change that, I will have to buy another mobo and case 🙃 or maybe I should just sell those and buy decent server cpu? 

Id keep the current case if you have the space, but if you want small there are cases like the node series, and the unas cases.

No need for a server cpu, that chip will work fine here.

3 minutes ago, BartholomewK said:

you can sell them and buy a mini-itx board with an Atom cpu. My setup is small like a modem

5 minutes ago, Quinnell said:

My understanding is that you generally want specialized NAS drives (WD Red, Ironwolf) or enterprise server drives (WD Gold) for NAS setups.  If it's primarily a storage server, you can get away with slower drives.  It's unlikely you will need faster performance HDDs for a storage NAS.

Yes I don't need faster transfer rate, just storing old photos, videos and pdf files. So just go with HDD like Barracuda is enough right? 

Yes I don't need faster transfer rate, just storing old photos, videos and pdf files. So just go with HDD like Barracuda is enough right? 

you limiting factor will be your network not the hard drives

Id mostly stay away from the barracuda drives due to smr, and their very bad performance in some use cases.

Id get shucked externals if you want cheap drives.

How many tb do you want?

If you're running multiple drives in RAID, you'll want to stick with dedicated NAS drives.  They have special firmware and vibration management.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id mostly stay away from the barracuda drives due to smr, and their very bad performance in some use cases.

Id get shucked externals if you want cheap drives.

How many tb do you want?

Maybe 10 tb, depending if I can add another hdd in the future? 

3 minutes ago, Quinnell said:

If you're running multiple drives in RAID, you'll want to stick with dedicated NAS drives.  They have special firmware and vibration management.

I think I'm not going raid with this build, because I'm new with building a server pc 😅

Maybe 10 tb, depending if I can add another hdd in the future? 

Then Id just get a single 10tb or 12tb drive.

How many pcs do you have planning to use it?

I think I'm not going raid with this build, because I'm new with building a server pc 😅

Do you have a backup plan? 

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

@BartholomewK  I feel obliged to point out that RAID isn't technically a backup solution per se.  It will protect you if a drive goes bad/dies but if you delete a file accidentally, overwrite a file, or it becomes corrupted, RAID will not save you.  No way to "roll back" to an earlier version.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Then Id just get a single 10tb or 12tb drive.

How many pcs do you have planning to use it?

2 pc and 2 mobile devices. And I can add more hdd in the future right? 

Backup plan for the build or backup the data? 

2 minutes ago, Quinnell said:

@BartholomewK  I feel obliged to point out that RAID isn't technically a backup solution per se.  It will protect you if a drive goes bad/dies but if you delete a file accidentally, overwrite a file, or it becomes corrupted, RAID will not save you.  No way to "roll back" to an earlier version.

As far as I know, using raid will make driver faster but if the drive goes bad, it will ruin the entire drive? Or am I completely wrong? 

For the data.

Yea, but this depends on how you setup the os and storage aswell.

As far as I know, using raid will make driver faster but if the drive goes bad, it will ruin the entire drive? Or am I completely wrong? 

This depends on the raid setup.

Also there are lots of potiental issues that can result in data loss that don't involve drive failure, so raid won't always keep your data safe.

RAID doesn't always make the drive faster.  In fact, most types of RAID slow down reading and/or writing speeds.  See this calculator for details on that.  I recommend RAID-1 for a standard two-disk setup.  Allows for 1 drive to fail.  

Stay away from RAID-0.  No drive redundancy and increased chance of data-loss.

If a drive goes bad, you won't be able to recover data from the dead drive.

Depends on the type of raid, some are built for speed others for redundancy and can suffer drive failures.

15 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

For the data.

Yea, but this depends on how you setup the os and storage aswell.

This depends on the raid setup.

Also there are lots of potiental issues that can result in data loss that don't involve drive failure, so raid won't always keep your data safe.

14 minutes ago, Quinnell said:

RAID doesn't always make the drive faster.  In fact, most types of RAID slow down reading and/or writing speeds.  See this calculator for details on that.  I recommend RAID-1 for a standard two-disk setup.  Allows for 1 drive to fail.  

Stay away from RAID-0.  No drive redundancy and increased chance of data-loss.

If a drive goes bad, you won't be able to recover data from the dead drive.

14 minutes ago, Calranthe said:

Depends on the type of raid, some are built for speed others for redundancy and can suffer drive failures.

So in conclusion, with my parts I can build a server with no additional parts needed except for the HDD.

Now I just need to buy 2 NAS HDD, with Raid-1 for 2 disk setup? 

So in conclusion, with my parts I can build a server with no additional parts needed except for the HDD.

Now I just need to buy 2 NAS HDD, with Raid-1 for 2 disk setup? 

Your still gonna want a backup, not just raid 1.

If you want cheap drives, get something like this https://www.amazon.com/12TB-Elements-Desktop-Drive-WDBWLG0120HBK-NESN/dp/B07X4V2M3B/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3VDJO2E9S5R64&dchild=1&keywords=12tb+external+hard+drive&qid=1599161771&sprefix=12tb+e%2Caps%2C404&sr=8-2

But thats about right. This depends a bit on the os choice.