Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is it ok to fill HDD more than 80%?

so a little while back i googled and found out that even HDDs require 10-20% space free to work properly and at full speed. I didn't really know it before, it sounds something similar to what they say about SSDs, but it's 70% in their case.

As games are getting bigger and bigger, even 2tb hdd doesn't seem to be enough so i am also looking to by a new one when i have the money but for now i would have to be on bay for sometime, although i only play handful of games but i want all of them as i checked my games folder lists fee weeks back as i will end up playing all of them at some point, as i am never really able to finish games,  i can't delete them either by just after completing them because i am that bad :(

but i do enjoying playing casually despite not going all the way through story. I do have lots of space on my 1tb hdd so i am, thinking of moving some stuff there if i want to download a new game so currently i am also avoiding downloading newer games which are not completely perfect for my liking.

The most underrated user and unsung hero of LTT Forum.

Casual Gamer and part time Youtuber.

Day Dreamer but lazy and lethargic when it comes to goals.

Always procrastinating. Avoiding challenges and getting out of comfort zone.

2 minutes ago, WikiForce said:

so a little while back i googled and found out that even HDDs require 10-20% space free to work properly and at full speed.

Are you sure that wasn't regarding SSDs?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14-14-14-34 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe | macOS Big Sur

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Displays: Alienware AW2521HF & BenQ BL2420PT

You can fill even 100%. Defragmentation may be an issue, but if we're talking about just filling drive - is ok.

Remember that you paid for that capacity. So don't worry so much. I think even if it's SSD, you can stop worrying about speed even if you fill it to 100% (all depends if you need your drive to read stored data or save new data).

Having free space on a HDD is recommended when defragging the drive. Having less than 20% of free space can cause the defrag to take more time and depending on how much free space there is, some files might get skipped by the process

2 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

I think even if it's SSD, you can stop worrying about speed even if you fill it to 100% (all depends if you need your drive to read stored data or save new data).

It's more of a degradation issue afaik. With more free space the controller on the SSD will spread out the data on more memory chips, wearing them evenly but most importantly each chip wears less. This was a concern with first gen SSD, nowdays you can pretty much do what you want with them

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz (-75mV Core // -5mV Cache) RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition (-5mV // +80mhz core // +120mhz memory)  PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz

CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 Bit // Manjaro

It's fine. However, be aware that defragmentation will take longer and if you have a HDD that uses SMR (Shingled Magnetic Recording) it'll decrease in write performance because it'll not have lots of space to do garbage collection by shuffling data around.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3600MHz CL16 | AORUS GTX 1080Ti | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES

22 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

yes, here's the ss.

image.png.682fb629ca67faaa9ba428dab7dfcec0.png

3 minutes ago, WikiForce said:

yes, here's the ss.

Spoiler

image.png.682fb629ca67faaa9ba428dab7dfcec0.png

on a drive so Windows could defragment it.

If you're not planning to defragment it you are fine

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz (-75mV Core // -5mV Cache) RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition (-5mV // +80mhz core // +120mhz memory)  PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz

Basically if the bar for the storage in Windows gets red you know you're going to get issues - because even if it technically makes no sense -which is up to debate - your windows install from now on will run in "panic mode" (hence the red color) and it's just no fun... Also tends to turn on "storage sense" by itself and do things to your data... and will generally just get very sluggish, hence it's warning you at least by making the storage sign (icon) red...

2 hours ago, Mateyyy said:

It doesn't matter once a drive is close to full windows will become very slow and sluggish (BTW if I didn't mention it yet,  the icon for the drive also becomes "red" to warn you about the terrible experience you're about to, well,  experience)  Oof. 

RYZEN 5 3600 | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW2 | 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 3200 DDR4 | MSI B350M MORTAR | 250GB SAMSUNG EVO 860 | 4TB TOSHIBA X 300 | 1TB TOSHIBA SSHD | 120GB KINGSTON SSD | WINDOWS 10 PRO | INWIN 301| BEQUIET PURE POWER 10 500W 80+ SILVER | ASUS 279H | LOGITECH Z906 | DELL KB216T | LOGITECH M185 | SONY DUALSHOCK 4

LENOVO IDEAPAD 510 | i5 7200U | 8GB DDR4 | NVIDIA GEFORCE 940MX | 1TB WD | WINDOWS 10 GO HOME 

Just now, Parideboy said:

i defrag my drives quite regularly

Just now, Parideboy said:

Windows 10 has automatic defragmentation FYI 

RYZEN 5 3600 | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW2 | 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 3200 DDR4 | MSI B350M MORTAR | 250GB SAMSUNG EVO 860 | 4TB TOSHIBA X 300 | 1TB TOSHIBA SSHD | 120GB KINGSTON SSD | WINDOWS 10 PRO | INWIN 301| BEQUIET PURE POWER 10 500W 80+ SILVER | ASUS 279H | LOGITECH Z906 | DELL KB216T | LOGITECH M185 | SONY DUALSHOCK 4

LENOVO IDEAPAD 510 | i5 7200U | 8GB DDR4 | NVIDIA GEFORCE 940MX | 1TB WD | WINDOWS 10 GO HOME 

34 minutes ago, Parideboy said:

Having free space on a HDD is recommended when defragging the drive. Having less than 20% of free space can cause the defrag to take more time and depending on how much free space there is, some files might get skipped by the process

It's more of a degradation issue afaik. With more free space the controller on the SSD will spread out the data on more memory chips, wearing them evenly but most importantly each chip wears less. This was a concern with first gen SSD, nowdays you can pretty much do what you want with them

First - I wrote that defragmentation may be an issue.

Second - SSD needs only these operations when you want to change data or write new data. Old data is stored in the same place so if you want to have ssd for games only (not system), you can use 100% of your drive.

29 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Windows 10 has automatic defragmentation FYI 

You're right, forgot about that. I usually disable it and forget about it.

16 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

First - I wrote that defragmentation may be an issue.

I never question it... I was just adding to it. (btw, your post wasn't there while I was typing the response, I edited it later to add the ssd part)

16 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Second - SSD needs only these operations when you want to change data or write new data. Old data is stored in the same place so if you want to have ssd for games only (not system), you can use 100% of your drive.

Of course, data can be read as much times as needed with no repercussions. Write cycles only apply on writes.

30 minutes ago, WikiForce said:

i defrag my drives quite regularly

Then you might not actually defrag them completely depending on how much space is left on the drive when the defrag takes place. Make sure to check the scheduled defragmentation like @Mark Kaine pointed out and have enough space while defragging them.

24 minutes ago, Parideboy said:

Then you might not actually defrag them completely depending on how much space is left on the drive when the defrag takes place. Make sure to check the scheduled defragmentation like @Mark Kaine pointed out and have enough space while defragging them.

i keep it off because i don't like stuff running in background running without my permission, so i do it every week or so whenever i get a reminder that it's been a bit long since i last ran it

I defrag my drivers once a year (hdd I mean). I have few hdd and two SSD in my pc, so I can choose right drive for use (music, movies, backup data, projects that contains small files only, some result of my work and everything when speed is not important - on HDDs, but programs, emails and most of games I play - on SSDs). In 80% cases write and read speed are not important for me, so it's waste of hdd movements and system resources to do it regularly in background, even if it takes long time after that year. And copying everything from one hdd to another is the best defrag method in fact - not only makes no fragmentation, but also keeps files together from every directory (if using programs that can prepare copy process that way).

The speed on the whole platter is not the same, so that makes HDD slow down when it's more full.

In case of defragmentation I would not worry, it may need a lot of moving things around, but having 100GB free on a 14 TB drive should still allow defragmentation to work well, the biggest problem is when you have a single file that's as big, or close to as big as the amount of free space. I've spent a lot of time with less than 1% of free space and only the system volume was problematic because Windows wants some space, other than that all's fine.
image.thumb.png.e6852284bd64a09fa3ec9fcba47c92b0.png

7.3% free space and 0% fragmented according to Windows.

When you create and delete lots of files it can lead to fragmentation, but if you defragment often, the new files get put in a continuous space making this issue less prevalent.

41 minutes ago, Loote said:

The speed on the whole platter is not the same, so that makes HDD slow down when it's more full.

Yes. There programs (such as Auslogics Defrag) that can let you decide what files to put of the fast tracks (a game you are more frequently playing, for example) and automatically move the least used files (backups) to the slow ones. This can improve access times, not in any meaningful way

Windows however, handles defrag in a 'weird' way:

667348664_2020-09-03214410.png.174275ecd4dbad0ff8137774da362965.png

Disk E for instance. This is a 'do it all' drive. It has music, videos, downloads, backups, games, you name it. Windows says it's not fragmented while Defraggler (and other similar tools) report 38% of fragmentation. My guess is that Windows primarely focuses on small and frequently used files, skipping the big and old ones. A Windows defrag can take up to a couple of hours while a full defrag can take up a full day, if not more depending on the disk size. This doesn't mean that the approach that Windows is using is bad, it's just different. That 0% probably means "0% fragmented of the files you actually use" instead of an absolute value.