Tencent acquires Warframe owners

GravityHurts

Summary

Tencent has acquired Leyou Technologies, the parent company of the studio behind the popular free-to-play game Warframe, for $1.4B.

Quotes

Chinese gaming giant Tencent (SEHK: 700) through its wholly-owned subsidiary Image Frame Investment acquires Hong Kong-based game developer and distributor Leyou Technologies (HKG: 01089) for the consideration of around $1.4B.

My thoughts

I don't really have much to say about this. I personally don't think that Tencent buying out more and more companies is a good thing, but what do I know.

Sources

https://investgame.net/news/tencent-has-acquired-leyou-technologies

9 minutes ago, dfsgsfa said:

Tencent

They own 40% of Epic games according to Wikipedia. So it seems like a logical move. They also own some small chunks of Universal Music and Warner Brothers music. So they seem like they are in to entertainment. Gaming is a big industry and if they play their cards right, they can make billions. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Well it was nice while it lasted. Would interresting to see what the studio has to say about this.

1 minute ago, AlexOak said:

Well it was nice while it lasted. Would interresting to see what the studio has to say about this.

I dont see this causing an issues. I doubt they will change a lot, they are just in it for the money. Free to Play games make lots of money. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

EA at some point also bought a lot of studios and killed some good games license in the process but maybe I noticed it more because it  was game I was actively playing at the time. After that Tencent being Chinese doesn't really matter that much I mean most hardware is made in Asia and it never bothered anyone, the US tech giant have been getting access to your data for years also and it never bothered anyone. 

Since everyone is going around with a smartphone privacy is dead anyway, I mean social media, photo with gps coordinate even if you don't use social media, you probably appeared in someone else post at some point...

Sad, the devs are still here in Canada but I fear for their livelihoods

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

How great. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

What this mean for Warframe? Either nothing or probably better content update, that's all.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Well thats unfortunate for Warframe, though to be blunt, Warframe was already heavily designed around Premium currency and MTXs so most people who play it hardcore wont notice a difference.

i tried getting into once, played  a good deal of it, but in the end the freemium game mechanics just got in the way to much. its an otherwise good game, just ruined by the monetization scheme.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

1 hour ago, Unclescar said:

snip

I feel like this is mostly a business venture though. warframe isnt like fortnite or league with a lot of potential for influence a large population

I didn't even knew Warframe was in Hong Kong, sounds like it was changed hands before.

Also lmao at the people here really sucking up that counter-propaganda.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

My son dislikes Epic because of Tencent's involvement.

My son currently has 6309 hours into Warframe.

This is my laughing face: :D

I do not like the CCP.  By extension, I do not like companies like Tencent which go around buying stakes in companies like Riot, Epic, and now Leyou.  You can essentially consider any Chinese company an extension of the CCP due to their authoritarian nature.  

That said... I doubt this will have any overt effect on Warframe's development aside from the standard China-friendly PR.  Which honestly happens even with Western-owned companies (Blizzard/Activision, NBA, etc vs supporters of Hong Kong).  

Edited by Quinnell
minor phrasing change "Western-owned"

4 hours ago, Eaglerino said:

So many western companies freely selling themselves out to China...

Capitalism in action :^)

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Why did they pay 1.4 billion dollars?

the game is for free

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

Hm I have a Bad feeling about this... I recently got into it again with the heart of Deimos update which I really liked... I always found it amazing how such a small studio could churn out so much new content all the time. Bungo take notes!

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

* Thread further cleaned *

If one of your reply was removed, it's either because it was off-topic, pointless, a bit too political, or because you quoted something that was removed.

Please, stay on-topic, and avoid political discussion, though we understand these types of news are intertwined with politics because of the CCP.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

damn cant wait for warframe to be run into the ground like every other game tencent has gained control of like uhh.... uhhh.... 

On 9/3/2020 at 4:29 AM, Donut417 said:

They own 40% of Epic games according to Wikipedia. So it seems like a logical move. They also own some small chunks of Universal Music and Warner Brothers music. So they seem like they are in to entertainment. Gaming is a big industry and if they play their cards right, they can make billions. 

I've been reading the wiki it's crazy just how much stuff they own or have stakes in...

They don't make all that much money in comparison to other giants like google etc but that's assumed to be mostly because they don't really do a lot of advertising stuff ...  It looks to me they're playing the long game here, but yes it's already very hard to impossible to avoid them currently (if anyone wanted to try that for whatever reasons)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity