Outdoor Wifi/Ethernet

BoxTurtle

So at me house we have your regular porch on the back of the house but about 30ft from the back door there is another porch/deck. You walk up some stairs and you on the porch/deck. (note that the porch/deck is a level above the house) I am wanting to get wifi or ethernet i do not really care so I can put a tv up there. I have already tried to useing wifi bridgeing useing a old router and got no signal so the only choice i have to to run a ethernet cable. The thing is a do not want to run a ethernet cable across my back yard up onto the deck so there some way to get wifi up on the deck. Just so you know I do not want to spend $320 dollars for something like the Netgear orbi so whatever you recomend make is cheaper preferably under like $70 dollars. What ever works but the I would like it to be cheaper than that if possible.

Screenshot 2020-08-29 at 4.28.28 PM.jpg

WARNING!! THE THINGS I SAY ARE BASED OFF EXPERIENCE AND MIGHT NOT BE TOTALLY ACCURATE!!

I don't know how well it will work because the wiring at your home may be old or it may work really well because its new. If you live in an area where you can return a product of it does not work well, give powerline adapters a shot. They basically try to use the existing wiring in your home to transmit ethernet data. (its basically tuning your electricity wires around the house into ethernet cables). the effectiveness is highly dependent on the house and the way its all wired up. I suggest you do your research on how to set it up properly because this post will become too big otherwise (I also can't be bothered to write like 200 more words). 

13 minutes ago, turtlecraft said:

So at me house we have your regular porch on the back of the house but about 30ft from the back door there is another porch/deck. You walk up some stairs and you on the porch/deck. (note that the porch/deck is a level above the house) I am wanting to get wifi or ethernet i do not really care so I can put a tv up there. I have already tried to useing wifi bridgeing useing a old router and got no signal so the only choice i have to to run a ethernet cable. The thing is a do not want to run a ethernet cable across my back yard up onto the deck so there some way to get wifi up on the deck. Just so you know I do not want to spend $320 dollars for something like the Netgear orbi so whatever you recomend make is cheaper preferably under like $70 dollars. What ever works but the I would like it to be cheaper than that if possible.

Screenshot 2020-08-29 at 4.28.28 PM.jpg

They do make outdoor access points that you could maybe mount to the house outside facing the deck. Im not sure how well it will work, not sure what they are rated for distance wise for outdoor units. I will say this, our patio is probably 20 feet from where our router is, and it get decent 5Ghz signal out there. So an outdoor AP might work fine. 

If you do run Ethernet, you're going to want to bury it under ground and bring it up to the deck. Thats a whole other set of issues. As you would most likely need to pull a permit and have a pro do it. Because you need to be careful of under ground utilities and such. 

The other option would be a Building to Building wireless link, like the Ubiqtui Air Fiber, it would be a dedicated wireless link between the house and deck. BUT then you would need to plug the wireless dish in to the device at the deck directly or in to a Wireless Access point if you want WiFi out there. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

@turtlecraft

If you connect and mount the UAP-AC-M high on the wall of the house facing the other porch, you should be able to get good signal. It's outdoor-rated, but is also omni-directional.

To get the UAP-AC-M to become a directional antenna, attach a UMA-D to its antenna ports and point it in the direction of your TV at the same mounting point as previously suggested.

When we had a problem like this at my Dad’s house, we just buried an ethernet cable (as well as coax, and telephone because we were already doing the digging). That’s what I’d recommend. It’s a harder answer in a way, but also easier. There are special tubes that you get for the cables and it’s pretty simple. The hard part is deciding where to put the hole in your house, but a friend of my Dad is a home builder so he helped us out there.

30’ is a long way to go with wifi and my experience with wifi repeaters is that they are pretty bad over any distance. 

Before getting a posh wifi repeater to see if that might work, look into whether you can just burry the cables you want because that’s the best solution here.

TP link has good mesh systems, and maybe that could work, if you make sure to have the out door extenders safe from water.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

TP link has good mesh systems, and maybe that could work, if you make sure to have the out door extenders safe from water.

2 hours ago, maplepants said:

When we had a problem like this at my Dad’s house, we just buried an ethernet cable (as well as coax, and telephone because we were already doing the digging). That’s what I’d recommend. It’s a harder answer in a way, but also easier. There are special tubes that you get for the cables and it’s pretty simple. The hard part is deciding where to put the hole in your house, but a friend of my Dad is a home builder so he helped us out there.

30’ is a long way to go with wifi and my experience with wifi repeaters is that they are pretty bad over any distance. 

Before getting a posh wifi repeater to see if that might work, look into whether you can just burry the cables you want because that’s the best solution here.

6 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

@turtlecraft

If you connect and mount the UAP-AC-M high on the wall of the house facing the other porch, you should be able to get good signal. It's outdoor-rated, but is also omni-directional.

To get the UAP-AC-M to become a directional antenna, attach a UMA-D to its antenna ports and point it in the direction of your TV at the same mounting point as previously suggested.

21 hours ago, Donut417 said:

They do make outdoor access points that you could maybe mount to the house outside facing the deck. Im not sure how well it will work, not sure what they are rated for distance wise for outdoor units. I will say this, our patio is probably 20 feet from where our router is, and it get decent 5Ghz signal out there. So an outdoor AP might work fine. 

If you do run Ethernet, you're going to want to bury it under ground and bring it up to the deck. Thats a whole other set of issues. As you would most likely need to pull a permit and have a pro do it. Because you need to be careful of under ground utilities and such. 

The other option would be a Building to Building wireless link, like the Ubiqtui Air Fiber, it would be a dedicated wireless link between the house and deck. BUT then you would need to plug the wireless dish in to the device at the deck directly or in to a Wireless Access point if you want WiFi out there. 

21 hours ago, Saksham said:

I don't know how well it will work because the wiring at your home may be old or it may work really well because its new. If you live in an area where you can return a product of it does not work well, give powerline adapters a shot. They basically try to use the existing wiring in your home to transmit ethernet data. (its basically tuning your electricity wires around the house into ethernet cables). the effectiveness is highly dependent on the house and the way its all wired up. I suggest you do your research on how to set it up properly because this post will become too big otherwise (I also can't be bothered to write like 200 more words). 

Will this work has really good reveiws; Product

WARNING!! THE THINGS I SAY ARE BASED OFF EXPERIENCE AND MIGHT NOT BE TOTALLY ACCURATE!!

3 minutes ago, turtlecraft said:

Will this work has really good reveiws; Product

For the love of god, DONT use an extender. Do it right. Get either on outdoor AP or run Ethernet. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.