FAQ for RTX 3000 Series

zeusthemoose

We have all seen the many posts asking the same questions about the new gpu series. Will it work with my system? Should I upgrade? Will it bottleneck? etc.

I think it would be nice to have a pinned post in the majority of sections that these topics are in (or just one of them) with the basic answers. It could cover compatibility requirements, the fact that bottle necking isn't as bad as it might seem, how to tell if you should upgrade, and saying to wait for benchmarks and reviews before buying.

I will be making something like this in the coming days to post in General Discussion so I can link and quote it in all these 3000 series posts. If you like this idea, you could use the one I make (if its turn out good) instead the staff having to make one.

Rough example of a section:

Should You Upgrade?

Whether or not you should upgrade is up to you. If you are happy with your current performance, it doesn't matter how much faster the new cards are, upgrading wont be worth it. I tend to follow the chart below but ultimately no one can say if you should upgrade other than you.

Spoiler

406346693_ShouldYouUpgrade.png.613d4ab4c8206e920c02c68523c56614.png

*from Linus's words, actual chart created by me

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

Power consumption is a big one.

The power consumption figures that we have currently are in line with last gen. 3070 is reported as a 220 watt card, with the 3080 at 320, and the 3090 at 350. That means a Ryzen 5 or Ryzen 7 and a 3070 is still gonna run fine on a quality 550 watt PSU, and you can get a 3080 in there too. We have a lot of sources for current gen power draw here:

And you can get started on PSU upgrade info here:

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

https://i.gyazo.com/6f857f95f4660bc5059d0be0c2577084.png Better off saving it but...but...3090...

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

We have a lot of sources for current gen power draw here:

Didn't know about that thread, ill definitely starting referencing it. Thanks!

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

I'm already set on a 3070, my only concern from a lack of understanding is it being ok with pci-e 3.0, from a quick reading though I believe it will be, but if a FAQ is being created perhaps slapping a huge bold marker for this likely to occur question would be handy.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Its same for every major release. It will blow over in week or so. It was same with FS2020 launch too, pretty much 3-5 threads daily. So nope, not gonna happen (also glanced over this internally too).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

45 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

I think it would be nice to have a pinned post in the majority of sections that these topics are in (or just one of them) with the basic answers.

If only they could read..

5 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Its same for every major release. It will blow over in week or so. It was same with FS2020 launch too, pretty much 3-5 threads daily. So nope, not gonna happen (also glanced over this internally too).

That makes sense. I’m assuming it’s ok if I make one and post it in general discussion to reference, just won’t be pinned?

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

42 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

That makes sense. I’m assuming it’s ok if I make one and post it in general discussion to reference, just won’t be pinned?

Feel free, but that might not change anything. Because if there were to be merging, we would have done it to original event thread.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

This is my second release of an NVIDIA card since joining this forum - spot on imho.  I wouldnt want a FAQ for everything.  Its the new threads that keep me interested in logging in every day.  

But I also am quite impressed with some of the questions (by impressed I mean not impressed, typically there are no stupid questions but in some of these cases....lol)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

It's normal at launch of new products for there to be many people with lots of questions about the new products, and of course there will be overlap between different posts. This is completely normal and part of having an active forum community. 

Most of the questions should be posted in the graphics cards section so if the launch of the RTX 3000 series doesn't interest and you don't want to read discussions in that topic then don't visit that section.

10 hours ago, zeusthemoose said:

I will be making something like this in the coming days to post in General Discussion

Please don't post in the wrong forum. If you want to create a new topic discussing the NVIDIA 3000 series graphics cards do so in the Graphics Cards section.

While I'm sure your intentions are to be helpful, in a lot of cases FAQ and megathreads tend to make things worse and have little effect on stopping multiple similar posts being made by different people. Unfortunately such posts often leads to members being lazy or rude and just linking to those threads telling people to read that instead of actually reading the questions asked or actually providing help. It's hard to blame the OP for other people doing this, but just something to take in to consideration when creating such posts.

From what you have posted so far as what would be included in such a post, I don't see any highly technical explanations or knowledge that would be impractical to share on a post by post basis, and in fact it seems to heavily generalise and ignore any unique situations or questions people may have. People would still be better off creating their own thread to ask questions and receive answers for their needs rather than using an extremely generalised "should I upgrade?" flow chart. 

It's a forum. People talk and discuss things. When there is a big launch like this it's normal for there to be a lot of questions. For people who spend a lot of time on the forum reading dozens of threads a day seeing similar posts can seem a bit annoying, but try to remember what it would be like if you were trying to get help yourself. And remember, you don't need to read or reply to every thread. The forum has a very active community and a lot of wonderful people who take the time to answer questions and discuss topics. If you don't want to answer a thread then simply leave it and someone else will likely come along who is interested in responding and helping.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 hours ago, Spotty said:

Most of the questions should be posted in the graphics cards section so if the launch of the RTX 3000 series doesn't interest and you don't want to read discussions in that topic then don't visit that section.

My intention with this wasn’t necessarily to decrease the number of posts like that (although I do now realize my previous explanation was bad and sounded like it was) but to make it so new members or people with simple questions would have somewhere to see the general answer for their question in case that helped them quicker than having to make a post and wait for responses on there. I was actually planning on saying that if they were still unsure to make a post.
But based on all yours and LogicalDRMs good points that I hadn’t considered, I don’t think I will do it. I don’t want to make it more confusing for people or cause those situations like you said where people just link to it.

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG