RTX 3080 relative performance data from Digital Foundry's video

JZStudios

Digital Foundry got a 3080 early to do some initial testing on. While they couldn't directly say what the FPS was, they gave relative performance improvements based off the 2080, so a quick spreadsheet with some simple math shows a rough estimate of performance.

The downside is, I've had to pull these figures from random YT videos, so they aren't 100% and Nvidia still probably has some driver updates to do etc. Just a quick look. If anyone has a 2080 willing to benchmark I can put in some better figures.

The figures are still generally impressive, and most titles are capable of running 4k ultra at 60.

Untitled.png.148125175ea570c95d9f6943f11f7829.png

#Muricaparrotgang

I thought exactly this whilst watching it last night. Find a benchmark set that has approx the same setup and work out figures from there and it shouldn’t be too far off.

What’s impressive to me is that it definitely is pulling more frames than my 2080ti (now on eBay!) and there’s probably still some wiggle room in the drivers to gain a bit more. How much though remains to be seen with the new architectural platform they have.

Either way if you were looking to build a pc soon and held out to purchase you’re in luck as this series seems a great buy so far. I’m especially looking forward to seeing the perf numbers of the 3070 to see if it actually is faster than the 2080ti, of it does then it would seem a steal at that price/perf compared to last gen.

Now we wait to see if AMD can actually compete.

32 minutes ago, oJIMoBOBo said:

I thought exactly this whilst watching it last night. Find a benchmark set that has approx the same setup and work out figures from there and it shouldn’t be too far off.

What’s impressive to me is that it definitely is pulling more frames than my 2080ti (now on eBay!) and there’s probably still some wiggle room in the drivers to gain a bit more. How much though remains to be seen with the new architectural platform they have.

Either way if you were looking to build a pc soon and held out to purchase you’re in luck as this series seems a great buy so far. I’m especially looking forward to seeing the perf numbers of the 3070 to see if it actually is faster than the 2080ti, of it does then it would seem a steal at that price/perf compared to last gen.

Whilst i don't have any reason to doubt digital foundry, i'd still recommend waiting for broad and unconstrained benchmarks to arrive. NVIDIA did't choose to ban specific FPS values by accident. It suggests to me there may be some hidden catch here. One possibility that springs to mind is that somthing about the drivers begin used might be resulting in a slight under-performance for the 2080 for example. I mean even if NVIDIA are cherry picking and manipulating about as far as they reasonably can i still expect a worst case of around a 50% uplift myself. But there's enough "but why, what are you hiding" aspects to this from NVIDIA that i'd want free range testing before i made any decisions if i was thinking of buying into the 3k series, (i'm not atm btw).

45 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

This video last night got me to sell my Titan V. Got €1537, so that's the 3090 covered.

Really interested in hands on gaming performance.

Managed to sell my 2080Ti a week ago *phew* !!

2 hours ago, Valentyn said:

This video last night got me to sell my Titan V. Got €1537, so that's the 3090 covered.

Some poor guy bought that. Rip 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

12 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

Some poor guy bought that. Rip 

I've had it since launch as well. I'm not complaining.

A friend of a friend refused to wait for the event recently, and bought a 2080Ti last week!

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

2 hours ago, oJIMoBOBo said:

I just started with building and gaming on PC like 2 years ago and from what I've observed,  right now is a pretty bad time to buy a new GPU  because in approximately 6 month we'll likely get "Super cards" at comparable prices with better perf and memory. 

But that's not to say it's absolutely terrible to buy right now,  the price is pretty ok and performance boost over previous gen is big. 

I had planned on getting a 3060 or 3070, but now I'll probably just wait for after when the new gen of consoles released because that's where I expect NV to show the goods. ;)

8GB makes zero sense from where I'm coming from (meaning I'm sure I'd need more 1 or 2 years down the line)

It's also typical for NV to milk their customers as much as possible,  which also partly explains the relative "tame" prices for the 3xxx series, so far. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, Valentyn said:

Are you saying someone actually bought your used card for more than the cost of at RTX 3090?!
€1537 is around $1800 USD.
RTX 3090 is $1400 USD.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Got that digital foundry video pushed on me earlier.  It bugged me.

The only time ive seen another video with this person is for the Mac Pro launch.  

Dude went on at length about how he wouldn’t talk up a card and then did exactly that.  For even longer.  He did that for the Mac Pro too.  

I got so bored with it I skipped to the numbers, except there sort of weren’t any. 

The problem with first day release stuff like this is the stuff is passed out by the marketing team, and marketing teams like reliability.  He does seem to provide reliable marketing for marketing departments.  He loved all over the Mac Pro too. 

Me I’m not buying anything on that say so.

Is this dude ultra respected or something? because it felt just fairly Schill like. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I wonder how many instances of Crysis a 3090 can run at once.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

14 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Are you saying someone actually bought your used card for more than the cost of at RTX 3090?!
RTX 3090 is $1400 USD.

Yup. People buy all sorts.

The 3090 is £1399, so around €1575 here.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/graphics-cards/30-series/rtx-3090/

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

6 minutes ago, Kierax said:

I wonder how many instances of Crysis a 3090 can run at once.

Just 1

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

23 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

RTX 3090 is $1400 USD.

image.png.334218060324ce19176cdbed00ea2389.pngthis sold today

7 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Just 1

Throw in some VM's + Anthony's magic.  

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

I am very tempted to get a RTX 3080. Performance is insane also that cooler looks fantastic. Never seen a design like that before.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

30 minutes ago, sof006 said:

I am very tempted to get a RTX 3080. Performance is insane also that cooler looks fantastic. Never seen a design like that before.

It looks good, but if you like your CPU  it's maybe not the best choice.

am2nvg.png

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 hours ago, oJIMoBOBo said:

Should have sold your 2080Ti last month, they were going for 1200. You'll be lucky to get 500 bucks for it now. 

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

31 minutes ago, Juanitology said:

Should have sold your 2080Ti last month, they were going for 1200. You'll be lucky to get 500 bucks for it now. 

I mean in all fairness, 500 bucks will still get you a new card that is better. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

It looks good, but if you like your CPU  it's maybe not the best choice.

-

stop with that meme already it makes zero sense , every gpu before this one pushed the air up in to the CPU already. where do you think your GPU air went? poof?

5 hours ago, Valentyn said:

The Titan V does have a party trick that makes it extremely interesting in some compute use cases: decent FP64 performance. Consumer cards have had this crippled for a very long time. The Radeon VII was the only exception, and I don't really consider it a real consumer card anyway since it was basically a Pro card rebadged. Titan V is ball park double the performance of a Radeon VII. The VII silicon could near enough match the Titan V if AMD didn't intentionally cripple it to preserve their pro offerings.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

I just started with building and gaming on PC like 2 years ago and from what I've observed,  right now is a pretty bad time to buy a new GPU  because in approximately 6 month we'll likely get "Super cards" at comparable prices with better perf and memory. 

Moore's Law Is Dead YT Channel was suggesting that Nvidia wants to dispose of the SUPER naming scheme because customers found it too confusing.

But that's not to say it's absolutely terrible to buy right now,  the price is pretty ok and performance boost over previous gen is big. 

Well I'd say it's bad to buy right now cos we don't know benchmarks and we don't know how RDNA2 will stack up.

I had planned on getting a 3060 or 3070, but now I'll probably just wait for after when the new gen of consoles released because that's where I expect NV to show the goods. ;)

3070 coming out October.

3060 possibly wayyyy later.

8GB makes zero sense from where I'm coming from (meaning I'm sure I'd need more 1 or 2 years down the line)

Oh yeah definitely. Nvidia short-changed everyone here.

I think the 3080 should have come with 20GB and the 3070 with 16GB leaving the 3060 with 12GB.

Unfortunately that's not how the world works and Nvidia will only release a 3080 20GB or a 3070 16GB if AMD competes well enough.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

4 minutes ago, Exty said:

stop with that meme already it makes zero sense , every gpu before this one pushed the air up in to the CPU already. where do you think your GPU air went? poof?

The 3090 and 30 series requires a hell of a lot more cooling than prior generations. It's quite different this gen.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

The 3090 and 30 series requires a hell of a lot more cooling than prior generations. It's quite different this gen.

you do have to remember that only half of the air from the gpu is comming inside the case, it works like a blower and a conventional fan

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

Moore's Law Is Dead YT Channel was suggesting that Nvidia wants to dispose of the SUPER naming scheme because customers found it too confusing.

I've also seen many people suggest that they're getting rid of Ti and keeping Super as well, but idk how true this is now that 3070ti has apparently been confirmed. Ti could be rebranded for laptop cards and super replaces Ti maybe?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler