Are pre builds actually this bad?

CWALD

So my brother thought he found a deal for a computer and decided to go for it without checking with me or my dad who both build computers for a living the day before Nvidia "officially" announced RTX 3000. Now I don't blame him for this, he likes to be independent and does not follow tech news, I would consider him an average consumer in that sense. My problem is with what MSI sent him. The longer I look at the photo he sent me the worse it becomes and I was wondering if this is normal now. At this point I am just praying that there is an SSD somewhere that I can't see. (Sorry I don't know the exact specs)

IMG_20200831_184949594.jpg

Prebuilts are generally a bad value. There are some that are good but other just suck.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

Encourage him to get a refund

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

10 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

^ and to build his own, it's pretty easy and there are plenty of guides out there for building one.

10 hours ago, Smit Devrukhkar said:

Secondly how the hell do you guys have so many post in like 2 years. I thought you joined in 2013 or something.

Covid. :P i had nothing to do so i spent a couple of months here.

Edited by TofuHaroto

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

^ and to build his own, it's pretty easy and there are plenty of guides out there for building one.

Or even just get a better prebuilt to be honest, since getting advice before buying will lead to better value even there. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

12 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

8 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

6 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Or even just get a better prebuilt to be honest, since getting advice before buying will lead to better value even there. 

I tried telling him to return it but he is happy with it. Funny part is I'm getting ready to sell one for about what he spent that is way better. If he had talked to me first I would have just sent it to him. I'm used to working with Dell and HP computers but even those are at least cable managed.

4 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

6 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

A properly speced out prebuilt have a decent value.

Secondly how the hell do you guys have so many post in like 2 years. I thought you joined in 2013 or something.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

Just now, CWALD said:

I tried telling him to return it but he is happy with it. Funny part is I'm getting one ready to sell one for about what he spent that is way better. If he had talked to me first I would have just sent it to him. I'm used to working with Dell and HP computers but even those are at least cable managed.

I guess if he spent his money and is satisfied that's all a computer owner can really ask for

1 minute ago, Smit Devrukhkar said:

how the hell do you guys have so many post in like 2 years

I type fast

Primary PC:

6 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

indeed, ibuypower seems to have very good value prebuilts and ive heard that they use real brand name parts for stuff like the psu and mobo, no unnecessary corners being cut.

1 minute ago, CWALD said:

I tried telling him to return it but he is happy with it. Funny part is I'm getting one ready to sell one for about what he spent that is way better. If he had talked to me first I would have just sent it to him. I'm used to working with Dell and HP computers but even those are at least cable managed.

i mean if hes happy with it then his money is well spent, if it does what hes asking it to do then thats all he needs and maybe he doesnt wanna invest more time into something that doesnt matter to him

2 minutes ago, Smit Devrukhkar said:

ive been here like two months lol, im only on this forum maybe an hour or two every day or so

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

Just now, VeganJoy said:

ive been here like two months lol, im only on this forum maybe an hour or two every day or so

I was originally refering to @Fasauceome and @TofuHaroto but for a month 400 posts is damn good. I joined in march because I was bored of covid,

Desktop :

Laptop :

2 minutes ago, Smit Devrukhkar said:

I was originally refering to @Fasauceome and @TofuHaroto but for a month 400 posts is damn good. I joined in march because I was bored of covid,

i dont recall why im here, think i needed help with some question and got stuck here. nice little forum though...

as a side note, when i quote a message with username mentions does it ping yall again?

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

Just now, VeganJoy said:

i dont recall why im here, think i needed help with some question and got stuck here. nice little forum though...

as a side note, when i quote a message with username mentions does it ping yall again?

yes, if you quote or tag someone it will ping them in addition to the OP and anyone following the thread.

It is hard for me to judge this without any specs or price and not really seeing the outside either.

1 hour ago, CWALD said:

I tried telling him to return it but he is happy with it. Funny part is I'm getting ready to sell one for about what he spent that is way better. If he had talked to me first I would have just sent it to him. I'm used to working with Dell and HP computers but even those are at least cable managed.

I used to like HP computers.

I like not having a lot of hassle and for things to just work out of the box. So in the past buying an HP was always good.

I could upgrade the graphics cards, memory, power supply and still have a kind of pretty much guaranteed to work no hassle experience. 

Now when I look at them though they have this so thin cheap look to them, desktops and laptops.

That alone turns me off so bad I don't want to buy them anymore and I've been a loyal customer for years.

I've owned nothing but HP computers.

I think HP should change the look and feel of their stuff.

I mean how much could it cost to make these cases or laptops just look thick, nice?

I've bought toasters that have more of a look of value than their computers do to me these last few years. 🥴

1 hour ago, Intergalacticbits said:

It is hard for me to judge this without any specs or price and not really seeing the outside either.

I used to like HP computers.

I like not having a lot of hassle and for things to just work out of the box. So in the past buying an HP was always good.

I could upgrade the graphics cards, memory, power supply and still have a kind of pretty much guaranteed to work no hassle experience. 

Now when I look at them though they have this so thin cheap look to them, desktops and laptops.

That alone turns me off so bad I don't want to buy them anymore and I've been a loyal customer for years.

I've owned nothing but HP computers.

I think HP should change the look and feel of their stuff.

I mean how much could it cost to make these cases or laptops just look thick, nice?

I've bought toasters that have more of a look of value than their computers do to me these last few years. 🥴

Yea, the proprietary ram and power connectors got to me but if you wanted a cheap starting point that you could upgrade both HP and Dell business computers were good starting points. Now they make the business PCs with an itx board and external power brick that has no expansion slot even if the case had space.

Part of the reason the laptops have no "bulk" to them anymore is because they want to make them thinner and lighter. If your looking for that "solid" feel I would recommend finding a 13in laptop with a metal body. The metal will help ad weight and along with the small size reduce flex to be next to nothing. I have a bias for Lenovo Thinkpads but they do cost a bit more.

I fail to see what the issue is with the prebuilt. You didn't even list spec, so it's clearly not something that bothers you a great deal.

4 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

I type fast

And have no life 😛😂

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

More like the issue is that the consumer does not know what they're getting into. It's like when people get dupped into purchasing the rust proofing option at a car dealership or tricked into thinking they need an oil change every 4000 kilometers or 3 months. 

Plus, it's been shown time and time again that for low and mid tier gaming machines, it's often very hard to beat the prices OEMs are charging because of their subsidies and ability to purchase in bulk. If you try to build your own system while matching the price, you might end up cutting a few corners and using the PSU that's included with your case or example. And those are often sketchier than the PSUs OEMS use. When I mean sketchier, I mean PSUs that are over-rated and have poor designs. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580