Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Will this Samsung 25watt fast charger ruin small devices?

Hello! 

So recently I bought a new power bank and some other devices for school. And I'm wondering if my samsung charger would ruin my battery on my headphones. 

My headphones are the Sennheiser BT450, it says they can take 5v at 500mA max.

From what I saw online and was reading. So far my thoughts are no my charger wont damage it. But I might be wrong and want to make sure. The charger is a 25watt fast charger from samsung. With the usb type c connector on it. 

If the charger wont damage the headphones. Could you explain why? And how it knows how much to charge without destroying the battery? Just so I can educate myself. 

Thanks!!

20200901_211143.jpg

The charger has to communicate with the device before it sends the full power it can provide through. It won't break your headphones. You won't get fast charging, but they won't blow up either.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.2GHz @ 1.35V (courtesy of @XR6)Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: WD Blue 1TB and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: H100i V2, be quiet! Pure Wings 2 (two intake, two exhausting through radiator) Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE

i use arch btw

No it won't, as the headphones might not be able to use fast charging.

Ryzen 2600 @ 4ghz | Radeon RX580 | 32gb HyperX 3200mhz | 500gb Samsung PM981a | 5 TB HDD | Corsair CX450

The important thing is to make sure the voltage of the charger matches the voltage required for the device that is being powered. The amperage can be different to a certain point. If there is not enough amperage, the device won't charge or will charge slower. If the amperage is higher, the device will charge faster up to a certain point. If the amperage is higher than the device requires, nothing bad will happen, there just won't be a benefit either. 

2 minutes ago, The_russian said:

The important thing is to make sure the voltage of the charger matches the voltage required for the device that is being powered.

29 minutes ago, Trist100 said:

My headphones  can take 5v at 500mA max.

nHHS0Om.png

15 hours ago, Caroline said:

nHHS0Om.png

Okay, there are basically two things you consider.

1) Voltage, this is basically the "size of the hose"

2) Amps (volts times watts), which is the "pressure inside the hose"

If you plug a 250ma device into a 500 charger, it will only ever pull 250ma from it. However if you plug a 12V device into a 5V charger, it will fail to charge, and if you plug a 5V device into a 12V charger, it will likely catch fire. Now if you plug a device that requires 3A into a character that only puts out 500ma, it will only get 500ma, and if it's a proper character it will just do that and be unscathed. If you plug a device that requires 500ma into a character that can supply 3A, then it will only pull 500ma and be fine.

There's also polarity to consider, but no USB device that I'm aware of switches polarity.

With that said

Quick charging techniques often fidget with the charging protocol, and if a device does not support the protocol, it simply won't be quick charged.

It's likely to kill your headphones tbh.  Fast chargers are the devil 

RYZEN 5 3600 | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW2 | 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 3200 DDR4 | MSI B350M MORTAR | 250GB SAMSUNG EVO 860 | 4TB TOSHIBA X 300 | 1TB TOSHIBA SSHD | 120GB KINGSTON SSD | WINDOWS 10 PRO | INWIN 301| BEQUIET PURE POWER 10 500W 80+ SILVER | ASUS 279H | LOGITECH Z906 | DELL KB216T | LOGITECH M185 | SONY DUALSHOCK 4

LENOVO IDEAPAD 510 | i5 7200U | 8GB DDR4 | NVIDIA GEFORCE 940MX | 1TB WD | WINDOWS 10 GO HOME