Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can unexperienced fan control damage your fans?

I have got a quick and easy question:

If I apply a low voltage (3pin DC) or low duty cycle percentage (4pin PWM) to a fan, so low they don't even keep spinning, does it damage them?

Reasoning:

I recently optimized by Noise Profil by installing and configuring speedfan. The software is a little bit older, with limited datapoints for your fancurve.

More often than not, when idling, it applies 10 or 15 percent pwm (in my case) to the fan, which is not enough to keep it spinning, not to mention start them up.

I suppose the same is possible with DC controlled fans to, at some point the voltage is just to low.

Is it detrimental to your fans lifespan if you keep them in one of those limbos?

Shouldn't be. That just means the motor isn't getting enough power to create an electromagnetic field strong enough to move the weight of the blades. It shouldn't be any more damaging than running the fan at full power would be.

My System: 

AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC •  Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White) • ASUS VG27AQ • Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum • Logitech G502 Hero

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

No. A fans mtbf is based on full speed operation. They are designed to be run at 100% duty cycle for their lifetime. You won’t hurt it.

AMD R9 5900X + Booost | Thermalright Frost Commander 140/2x iPPC 3K
Asus Strix B550-F | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 1900 15-15-15-36 2T 1.45v
EVGA GTX 980 Classified @ 1500/1953 | WD SN750 500GB+1TB
Seasonic Prime GX-750 | Fractal Design Meshify C TG + Many CFM's

My thought was, that I am still putting power into the fan, but it is not spinning anymore, so it has to create heat somewhere.

And because it's not moving it doesn't get any cooling.

1 hour ago, CommandAndCompute said:

My thought was, that I am still putting power into the fan, but it is not spinning anymore, so it has to create heat somewhere.

Ideally you want them to be actually effective for cooling. Why not use the BIOS to control?

As a wise master once said, 

Put as much effort into your question as you would expect a stranger to add to their answer!

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 5 3800XT | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 4000Mhz CL18 | MSI RX 5700 XT Gaming X | Two WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe SSD | Corsair AX850 Titanium | Fractal Design Define 7 White, Solid

Laptop: Apple Macbook Pro 16 | i9 9980H | 16 GB RAM |  1TB SSD | AppleCare+ | Space Grey

Peripherals: RAMA U-80 Lake | Logitech MX Master 3 | Kanto YU2 White + Beyerdynamic DT 177X GO 

Displays: LG GX 55"| Acer XB273K | Dell Ultrasharp U2720Q | LG 32UN650-W 

1 minute ago, Duckson McQuack said:

Why not use the BIOS to control?

Very good question. The answer is: Early 2010's Gigabyte Motherboard

1 hour ago, CommandAndCompute said:

That was my first thought when I read your OP. It will create some degree of heat because even though it isn't moving, electricity IS flowing. If the fan isn't spinning it could (potentially) heat up because there is no air flow to cool it...how much, I have no idea. As long as it doesn't overheat though, it should be fine.