Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Nvidia 30 Series unveiled - RTX 3080 2x faster than 2080 for $699

20 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

i wonder if there is any way for them to let us use the tensor cores for encoding

I don't see why this wouldn't be the case. Making use of the tensors to encode is the real issue. Not really sure which part of the encoding pipeline would be faster by using it.

2 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

I don't see why this wouldn't be the case. Making use of the tensors to encode is the real issue. Not really sure which part of the encoding pipeline would be faster by using it.

from what i heard av1 encoding is very intensive so they probably would need something like the tensor cores to encode av1 in real time

4 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

really like them  

Ah no well I was talking about Asus's AIB cards lol but the thread was edited so now my post doesn't make sense lol. 

Wārudobītā

CPU: Ryzen 3 3100. Board: B550m TUF plus. Memory: 16 (2x8) 3200 cl16 Hyper x Fury RGB. GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 1650 super.  Boot Drive: MX500. Case: Antec NX500 (Quite crappy. :p) PSU: CX450. 

Hehe, Meshify c is a kewl case. 

42 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

from what i heard av1 encoding is very intensive so they probably would need something like the tensor cores to encode av1 in real time

In 2019 the fastest AV1 encoder was 45 times slower than x264, so yeah maybe. The 2020 report is coming out in the next month and we'll see how the gap shifts then, because AV1 was 50 times slower than it is right now in 2017.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-3820 | Corsair H100i | ASUS P9X79-LE | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Corsair CX750M Fractal Design Define R5 Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K Touch | Intel Core i5-7300HQ | 12GB Generic (Crucial?) 2133MHz DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1050 | 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe SSD | Windows 10

30 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Ah no well I was talking about Asus's AIB cards lol but the thread was edited so now my post doesn't make sense lol. 

Oh I see 😛

I'm actually one of those people who thinks that anonymity is overrated. Some people confuse privacy and anonymity and think they go hand in hand, and that protecting privacy means that you need to protect anonymity. I think that's wrong. Anonymity is important if you're a whistle-blower, but if you cannot prove your identity, your crazy rant on some social-media platform shouldn't be visible, and you shouldn't be able to share it or like it.

Linus Torvalds 

Those CUDA Cores are very suspicious, it doesn't fall in line with the expected performance out of these cards, between the RTX 2080 and the RTX 3080 there should be a 3X increase in performance at a minimum but instead we're seeing 70-80% performance increase, they've split the FP32 Cores into 2, but without optimizing the rest of the pipeline? I'd take the insane number of TFlops with a huge grain of salt, the performance expectations more falls in line when you half the amount of CUDA Cores or Shader TFlops, it just seems extremely misleading.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

i think we all know what really matters....

when are the sub 500$ AMD and NVidia GPUs releasing because damn.

😕

Also based on the performance we've seen, I'd expect the RTX 3070 to be slightly faster or on par with an RTX 2080S but not quite reaching the RTX 2080 Ti.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Waiting for reviews of course, but it looks like the 3080 is my next GPU, right on my 1k CAD budget

Pizza is the best food group

I guess this is appropriate here:

dgtryr4.jpg

EDIT: Not mine. Just found it in Reddit. LOL

CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti

35 minutes ago, Syn. said:

Also based on the performance we've seen, I'd expect the RTX 3070 to be slightly faster or on par with an RTX 2080S but not quite reaching the RTX 2080 Ti.

The 3080 was shown to be 70-90% faster in certain non-RTX games by digital foundry. I doubt Nvidia would blatantly say on their slides that the 3070 was faster than a 2080 ti if it wasn't true. It's a comparison between two of their own products and they presumably make a lot more money off a 2080ti than they will with a 3070. 

Nice, i can finally upgrade from my 2080 ti

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 2080 Ti Strix | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Not to be on the hype train but, upgrading from a GTX760 to a build in a PC-011D (a case that's tighter than it would appear), all I can say is:

YESSS!!! The PCB on the new cards is small!! That was a serious question holding up progress on the build.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

5 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

True, but in Nvidia defense, based on Steam hardware survey, most people have a 1080p display (~65.5%)

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

There is this high refresh rate thing going on too. Most people settle at 60fps as some sort of golden standard, but after trying 144Hz, there is no way going back. And to consistently have that, sticking with 1080p means you can have one graphic card and achieve that even in very latest games that would require you a GPU upgrade at much higher resolutions. But not at 1080p. And with GPU scheduling slowly becoming a thing, I don't think CPU bottleneck will be that much of a problem at insane framerates due to lower resolutions. I don't mind 1080p from quality perspective, but I've enjoyed massive performance benefits in games, allowing me to run anything I ever desire at insane framerates. And I always just up all the image quality stuff to the max. Sans RTX thing coz obvious reasons.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3733MHz CL16 | PALIT RTX 3080 10GB GamingPro | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES

1 hour ago, Syn. said:

Those CUDA Cores are very suspicious, it doesn't fall in line with the expected performance out of these cards, between the RTX 2080 and the RTX 3080 there should be a 3X increase in performance at a minimum but instead we're seeing 70-80% performance increase, they've split the FP32 Cores into 2, but without optimizing the rest of the pipeline? I'd take the insane number of TFlops with a huge grain of salt, the performance expectations more falls in line when you half the amount of CUDA Cores or Shader TFlops, it just seems extremely misleading.

TFlops is flawed anyways never believe them. But just because somethign has mroe cuda cores doesnt mean it has that much extra performance. AMD beat out nvidia in specs with their last card but it performed significantly worse despite having superior specs in it. We can't expect a linear increase in performance and expecting a linear increase is stupid. Diminishing returns will happen and how they optimize said cores and other parts of the card wil ldetermine performance not raw spec alone. You could have a card with massive amounts of everything in it but have it run horrible all the same.

I'm looking at cooler designs and I'm scratching my head why vendors make a hole for the back of the GPU instead of adding a thermal pad there and make it contact with a metal backplate. Back of GPU also gets hot and while most heat dissipates on top, removing some at the back can be beneficial.

The AORUS GTX 1080Ti that I have has a copper chunk on the back of GPU and it's always really hot. But I don't expect that, just make back of GPU contact aluminium backplate with thermal pad and call it a day. Should make a difference.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3733MHz CL16 | PALIT RTX 3080 10GB GamingPro | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES

1 hour ago, AdmiralMeowmix said:

TFlops is flawed anyways never believe them. But just because somethign has mroe cuda cores doesnt mean it has that much extra performance. AMD beat out nvidia in specs with their last card but it performed significantly worse despite having superior specs in it. We can't expect a linear increase in performance and expecting a linear increase is stupid. Diminishing returns will happen and how they optimize said cores and other parts of the card wil ldetermine performance not raw spec alone. You could have a card with massive amounts of everything in it but have it run horrible all the same.

This is true enough.

But the second generation of a new technology is also generally the one with the largest relative performance increase.

In this case, we are seeing the second generation of hardware support for two technologies, DLSS and RTX.

There is also another factor: In consoles, AMD graphics is king, and has been for a while. But in the desktop space, Nvidia is generally king, and has been for a while... But now, we are seeing the beginning of a very large change in how realtime rendering works, and Nvidia knows that in order to maintain their sizable lead in the PC graphics market they will have to be completely better than their competition from the very beginning. They are now a generation ahead of AMD, and will almost invariably have better performance than the new AMD cards. Beyond that, I don't see how AMD will be able to be price competitive this go around while producing profit on the cards. Keep in mind, both brands will have hardware supported DXR (what Nvidia calls RTX).

I fully suspect that this new line of cards will fully realize Nvidia's business goals.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

5 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

The 3000 series isn't priced lower than the RTX 2000 series, but its price-to-performance ratio blows the RTX 2000 series away. That accomplishes the same thing, but with a higher entry fee.

Nvidia‘s CEO kinda admitted that pascal had a higher performance jump than Turing 

1 hour ago, Nicnac said:

3080ti when?

I think Nvidia wants to get rid of the -ti naming and the will replace it with Super because super Sounds much cooler than ti 

Edited by Drama Lama

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

8 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Yes, but keep in mind that the game needs to support it (from what we know so far).

If it not open to use for  everything technology( working only in 30-series), Ps5 will have thing that PC versions won't have 

Interesting info, but I'll wait 10 more years and then I will upgrade my GTX 1070. I like big jumps, plus at that time there will be much powerful video cards with less price.

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-10400F | COOLER: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B460M DS3H | RAM: Viper Steel Series 16GB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 8GB | STORAGE: Kingston 240GB SA400M8 SSD + 2TB HDD + 4TB HDD +4TB HDD | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus | PSU: XFX PRO1050W Black Edition (80+ Gold) | KEYBOARD: Corsair Vengeance K70 | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | MOUSEPAD: Marvo MG010 | MONITOR: Dell S2721D 27" | SPEAKERS: Microlab Solo7C | HEADSET: Trust GXT 410 Rune Illuminated | OS: WIndows 10 64bit

@illegalwater

Your thread doesn't meet guidelines for Tech News section. Mainly its missing personal input in form of opinion and/or summary of the product/news item. Please fix this.

Thread has been moved out of Tech News.

Edited by LogicalDrm

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Digital Foundry already has the cards and while they couldn't speak in framerate, they compared their RTX 3080 results to RTX 2080Ti in percentage and gains were mostly in 80-90% performance uplift in NON RTX games! Some games a bit lower down to 60&, but even at 60%, that's huge uplift. When was the last time we've seen such jumps?

And that's for RTX 2080Ti comparison. I'm with GTX 1080Ti which is what, 20% slower than RTX 2080Ti? This means I'll actually see 2x performance with upgrade. For $700. With VAT here in Europe it'll still be more, but lets say 100-150 on top of that. Damn, NVIDIA really dropped the mic and hyped me. Really wasn't expecting such dramatic difference and it seems like a perfect time to jump on ray tracing bandwagon. I still hope AMD will have a good release with Big Navi and they were already reaching these levels of performance too.