Russian tourist offers tesla employee 1 million dollars to cripple tesla with malware

spartaman64

The plan's outline was divulged on Tuesday in a criminal complaint that accused a Russian man of offering $1 million to the employee of a Nevada company, identified only as “Company A,” in exchange for the employee infecting the company’s network. The employee reported the offer to Tesla and later worked with the FBI in a sting that involved him covertly recording face-to-face meetings discussing the proposal.

Musk: “This was a serious attack”
Until Thursday afternoon, the identity of Company A was uncertain, although there was plenty of Twitter speculation—and several sourceless blog reports—that Tesla’s site in Nevada was the target. In a Tweet responding to one of the unconfirmed reports, Musk wrote: “Much appreciated. This was a serious attack.”

Tuesday’s charging document, which was filed in federal court in Nevada, detailed an extensive and determined attempt to infect Company A’s network. Defendant Egor Igorevich Kriuchkov, 27, allegedly traveled from Russia to Nevada and then met with the unnamed employee on multiple occasions. When Kriuchkov’s initial $500,000 bid failed to clinch the deal, the defendant doubled the offer, prosecutors said.

Besides targeting an iconic car maker, the plot is notable for other reasons. One is its sheer audacity and recklessness. As security researcher and reformed teenage cybercrime hacker Marcus Hutchins noted on Twitter: “One of the benefit of cybercrime is criminals don't have to expose themselves to unnecessary risk by conducting business in person. Flying into US jurisdiction to have malware manually installed on a company's network is absolutely insane.”

source: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/08/russian-tourist-offered-employee-1-million-to-cripple-tesla-with-malware/

Makes me wonder what sort of motivation that guy had though maybe he was a short seller :P. It could have been a really dangerous situation given how tesla can receive over the air updates and have self driving capabilities. 

pffft, lazy russians.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

stuff like this will get worse as we continue to develop further. 

Imagine writing code to crash everyones car on a certain day. Or cause a specific spacex rocket launch to fail. It's scary. "cyber-terrorism" 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

His motivation was whatever part of the cut he was trying to get the guy to do it for.  $500,000 means I keep 1.5 mil.  Damn okay 1,000,000 will you do it?

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

15 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

It's scary.

Naa, it's the plot to the next Jame Bond film...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

9 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Serious question: "tourist" or terrorist?

And where did a 27 year old get ahold of 1 million dollars?

And the malware sophisticated enough to wreck (ahem) things at a company known for cutting edge work?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

11 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Journo's seem to have the hardest time using that word, of late.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

25 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

His motivation was whatever part of the cut he was trying to get the guy to do it for.  $500,000 means I keep 1.5 mil.  Damn okay 1,000,000 will you do it?

Reminds me of this 

Five hitmen jailed after each hired the other to carry out murder that was never committed

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Money upfront and I would have done it. Enough to retire somewhere in the world :)

20 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

And where did a 27 year old get ahold of 1 million dollars?

And the malware sophisticated enough to wreck (ahem) things at a company known for cutting edge work?

short sellers are really getting out of hand Kappa 

19 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Journo's seem to have the hardest time using that word, of late.

They overused in the 2000's. It's got the same power as any other hot word lately. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Poor guy, probably got lost after his visit to Salisbury Cathedral

1 hour ago, TempestCatto said:

Terrourist.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

what's the point? the it guys would cut the internet access and restore the backups in less than an hour

While you're not wrong, this assumes that Tesla's IT department has been keeping AND testing their backups. Remember kids, if you don't test your backups by simulating a real-world failure, you don't have backups.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Good on that guy to refuse the money and do the right thing.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

2 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

They overused in the 2000's. It's got the same power as any other hot word lately. 

A fair point. Although to be fair there was quite a lot of terrorism going on at the time.

This is where I would make a joke that would likely get me banned at least temporarily.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

3 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

source: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/08/russian-tourist-offered-employee-1-million-to-cripple-tesla-with-malware/

Makes me wonder what sort of motivation that guy had though maybe he was a short seller :P. It could have been a really dangerous situation given how tesla can receive over the air updates and have self driving capabilities. 

I can think of multiple scenarios, but the most likely one is espionage.

Short selling would be a lucrative way to blow up a company though.

1) install malware

2) tell investment client the company will have a very bad day on X date

3) investment client short sells the company on open

4) company has bad day, setting back company months

5) investment client buys back the shares shorted at a much lower price.

6) Also repeat on earnings.

Though if this was going to be a short seller, there are much easier targets to hit.

3 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

Tourist visas are easy to get.  He’s probably listed as a tourist because that’s the kind of visa he came in on.   One million is a lot.  It is low enough to make it a possible short seller because there have been some really really big short sellers.  There are a lot of other options though.  The nature of the malware could say what.  Do they have a computer if the malware to see what was planned?  It would be possible to kill a lot of people with the right kind of malware.  Sort of points to a potential problem with the combination of self drive and auto update.  
This could have been the actual purpose.  If the guy gets caught he still creates FUD. 

Could also be a technology theft. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I guess the stereotype Russian hacker will never go away like this. Its kinda funny how people think because i'm one of the only Russian people in the school I can give them a free Netflix account.

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

First, that's too low of an offer for what he was asking. Second, China would offer more for code.

If this was State Sponsored, it wasn't Russia. Russia is Russia, but they ain't stupid like that. Also, if it was a major State Actor, this would involve hookers, drugs and compromising video. If you can't honeypot someone in Nevada, you're a failure at life.

5 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

First, that's too low of an offer for what he was asking. Second, China would offer more for code.

If this was State Sponsored, it wasn't Russia. Russia is Russia, but they ain't stupid like that. Also, if it was a major State Actor, this would involve hookers, drugs and compromising video. If you can't honeypot someone in Nevada, you're a failure at life.

Unless of course getting caught was almost as useful as having it work.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Not sure if 1mil is a lot or not but the IT guy used his common sense and thought it's not worth it considering it's a matter of time before he'll get caught.

Or he gets a very nice monthly salary.

And why the hell does that terrourist wants to cripple Tesla? What will that piece of shit gain? There is a good chance the terrourist will lead all of the evidence to the Tesla employee some day.

Money is nice but risking important stuff is not worth it. It's very good the IT guy used his healthy common sense.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280