Rumored rtx 3090 performance slides leaked

spartaman64

Since you have decided to continue reading despite the warnings, let's dig into it. The slides are allegedly draft slides being prepared for the announcement. The first slide is a simple mockup of the RTX 3090 with the basic specs: 5248 cores, 24GB of GDDR6 memory and 19.5 Gbps memory clock. I have to note here that these slides (if they are legit) are likely the draft versions and unlikely to be the final polished presentation we usually see from NVIDIA.

NVIDIA-RTX-3090-Benchmarks-1.jpg

The leak itself was posted by an unknown twitter account that was vouched for and vetted by CyberPunkCat:

Interestingly, just a few moments before, Kopite (a very well known leaker that has been spot on about everything) had posted the exact same benchmark names which lends credence to this rumor. While it is possible to fake these slides in 5 minutes, combined with CyberPunkCat's vouch for the leaker, it did at least merit coverage as a rumor.

source: https://wccftech.com/rumor-nvidia-rtx-3090-performance-slides-leaked/

I hope these are not true because if it is then it would actually be sort of disappointing. Having RTX on pretty much cuts performance in half and we heard an earlier rumor that the next gen cards are going to have nearly lossless rtx performance so this would mean almost all of the performance benefits between the 2080 ti and 3090 is due to the improved rtx processor. So it would suggest the 3090 isn't that much powerful than the 2080 ti in normal games.

2 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

photo-85015.gif

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

2 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

the "leaks" itself isnt from wccf tech its from some guy called yutenox and vetted by cyberpunkcat who apparently leaked stuff before and the tweet was liked by kopite7kimi who apparently is another leaker but im not personally familiar with them

6 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

So it would suggest the 3090 isn't that much powerful than the 2080 ti in normal games.

You're suggesting that it has no improvements in regular games, and while I think these slides are bullshit, it's almost a certain fact that the rumored 3090 will be a better card than the 2080ti in all aspects in regular games as well. This "slide" only compares the RTX abilities in what I'm going to assume are (if somehow true) cherry picked slides.

Also since when does Nvidia put little disclaimers in three bottom right of their slides?

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

RTX experience... kay

edit: how long till the announcement again?

edit 2: nvm, 20h

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

5 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

You're suggesting that it has no improvements in regular games, and while I think these slides are bullshit, it's almost a certain fact that the rumored 3090 will be a better card than the 2080ti in all aspects. This "slide" only compares the RTX abilities in what I'm going to assume are (if somehow true) cherry picked slides.

Also since when does Nvidia put little disclaimers in three bottom right of their slides?

yep there will be certainly some difference but if the rumor of lossless rtx and the slide is true then almost all of it is due to the lossless rtx and it would only be like 20% faster in normal games. and yeah im hoping that the slide is BS also for that reason

2 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

the "leaks" itself isnt from wccf tech its from some guy called yutenox and vetted by cyberpunkcat who apparently leaked stuff before and the tweet was liked by kopite7kimi who apparently is another leaker but im not personally familiar with them

Hey, I'm allowed to juge WCCF Tech as much as I want. 
It's a joke either way. xD 

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

I do enjoy me some extremely vague, pointless "performance" slides, where the metrics are "1x, 1.5x, 2x". Where 2x 6FPS can equal 12FPS and your chart would still be accurate. 

I don't buy the legitimacy of these charts for a second (a leak coming from a guy that registered their twitter account this month), though I wouldn't put it past Nvidia to use ridiculous performance slides like these given the ones they've used in the past.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

11 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I do enjoy me some extremely vague, pointless "performance" slides, where the metrics are "1x, 1.5x, 2x". Where 2x 6FPS can equal 12FPS and your chart would still be accurate. 

This is why we have to be really careful with leaked performance as well.  So many people saying "3070 will have 2080ti performance" but I could easily see NVIDIA marketing that, but only in RTX since we already know ray tracing is a large part of the generational improvement here.

the whole rtx3090 thing just seems kinda sketch to me. Why does this card need 350 watts of power? It's like they did an intel and just threw more power at it instead of actually improving anything.

I'd rather wait for actual architectural improvement. (not that I was planning on buying the rtx 3xxx series anyway)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

the whole rtx3090 thing just seems kinda sketch to me. Why does this card need 350 watts of power? It's like they did an intel and just threw more power at it instead of actually improving anything.

I'd rather wait for actual architectural improvement.

it could be the extra tensor cores using up more power. the slide sort of makes sense in a sad way but yeah i hope that its not true

I usually upgrade when new graphic card manages to be 100% faster than my current one. If this isn't just in RTX scenarios, I'm interested. Though certainly not at pricetag NVIDIA will be asking for. Which means I'll have to wait a year or two for this kind of performance on more down to earth priced card.

2x... 2x what? Max, min, avg Fps? Volumetric lighting performance?  You can claim 2x performance quite easily when you dont specify what the metric is.

2 minutes ago, DeScruff said:

2x... 2x what? Max, min, avg Fps? Volumetric lighting performance?  You can claim 2x performance quite easily when you dont specify what the metric is.

It has 2x magic pixies. Is that not enough for you?

2 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

yep there will be certainly some difference but if the rumor of lossless rtx and the slide is true then almost all of it is due to the lossless rtx and it would only be like 20% faster in normal games. and yeah im hoping that the slide is BS also for that reason

Depends, we still don't know in these scenario's what the limiting factor is. If it's RT hardware or raster hardware thats limiting it. We also don't know the same data for sure for the 2080Ti though most agree it's probably the RT side thats the limiting factor.

As a result we don't have the remotest idea how many times faster the raster hardware is running here compared to the 2080Ti max in non-RT games. That makes any attempt to determine the raster limits from these slides completely impossible.

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

I'd rather wait for actual architectural improvement. (not that I was planning on buying the rtx 3xxx series anyway)

Rumour is it's on Samsung 8nm, which isn't much of an improvement over Ampere's TSMC 12nm. So in effect they are doing a bit of an Intel as they have only a small node improvement. This is an architecture improvement btw. That said it sounds from rumour and what little official info we have that the bulk of the work was on RT capabilities, (it's hard to make guesses for RDNA2, but in terms of extra transistors what we do know suggests it's got more new transistors for RT than raster as well). From now on i expect all future GPU architectures from everyone to put a lot more focus on RT improvements than raster.

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I usually upgrade when new graphic card manages to be 100% faster than my current one. If this isn't just in RTX scenarios, I'm interested. Though certainly not at pricetag NVIDIA will be asking for. Which means I'll have to wait a year or two for this kind of performance on more down to earth priced card.

Same, and that only happens from a 50% die shrink. The 1080 is 16nm/14nm so unless it's 8nm/7nm or better which means that for most people who aren't trying to drive an 8K monitor, there's no incentive to buy the flagship x80 or this x90 part. 1080p was already covered by the 1660/2060, and 4K by the 2080. RTX alone is not a selling point because very few games have it, and some games (ugh minecraft) aren't actually enhanced by it, as the RT features don't improve the visuals, only the lighting/caustics, which are low-resolution in minecraft. So saying something is twice as good in minecraft, isn't relevant to any other game but minecraft players who spend $4000 on a gaming rig to run a game that will run on a potato.

Stats for 30xx cards that have been released are all for 7nm.  What has still not been made clear that I can find is if the 3090 and/or 3080 will actually be available as 7nm. We know they have 7nm test chips, but the only cpu they have confirmed so far that I know of as being released only in 7nm is the 101, which is the enterprise thing.  If 102 sees full commercial release as 7nm these numbers should hold. We know they have test stuff from TSMC for 101-104. I do not know of a confirmation of 102 being released as 7nm.  If there is one it’s all good, but if there isn’t one these numbers may mean nothing. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

23 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Stats for 30xx cards that have been released are all for 7nm.

Where did it say this. I'd assume those slides are based on what they're actually going to release. Since it would be mind-bogglingly stupid, (as in they could face false advertising lawsuits), not to do that.

6 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

Where did it say this. I'd assume those slides are based on what they're actually going to release. Since it would be mind-bogglingly stupid, (as in they could face false advertising lawsuits), not to do that.

On the top of the Nvidia charts it says “7nm”  It is reasonable to assume that, but I’m not a fan of assuming if I don’t have to.  If there’s a confirmation somewhere that 102 is going to be commercially released in 7nm then it doesn’t matter.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

On the top of the Nvidia charts it says “7nm”  It is reasonable to assume that, but I’m not a fan of assuming if I don’t have to.  If there’s a confirmation somewhere that 102 is going to be commercially released in 7nm then it doesn’t matter.

I swear i must be blind, could you do a paint edit circling the text. Sorry.