Could I bring this ITX case onto a plane?

Annsswer

I was planning to get a small form factor gaming PC to bring with me to university, and it was between getting a base spec MSI Trident X or building my own using the Lian Li TU-150W.

In any case (no pun intended), I was wondering which would be the best option for me and whether or not either of these PCs would be allowed onto a plane. 

(Checking in a PC sounds dangerous so that's a big nope)

I'd actually recommend building in a Node 202/ Silverstone RVX01/02/03 or ML08 as they all give you the rough shape/size of the Trident but omit the Tempered glass which is much more prone to possibly breaking on a carry-on luggage fort a plane.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Silverstone has the best micro itx cases. IMHO

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CY9596U?tag=fd251-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

I don't know if the airlines have changed their policy, but I took a Rosewill Gaming R7 (full mid tower) as my personal item back in 2009.

It fit under the seat. so I was allowed.

A couple of people asked about it.

I just recommend you don't carry the keyboard or other cables in your carry-on luggage.

Mine got tested for explosives. (the PCB and all the cables on X-ray)

But I would avoid the glass side panels.

My 2020 Upgrade: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600; MB: MSI X570 Tomohawk WiFi; Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600 MHz; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance; PSU: Corsair RM550X 80+ Gold; Storage: WD Blue 500GB SSD; Seagate 4TB Compute HDD; Monitor: GIGABYTE G34WQC 34" 144Hz Curved Gaming Monitor, 3440 x 1440 VA 1500R Display

Previous Components Still Using: GPU: MSI GTX 1070 (bought Used); Storage: WD 3TB Green HDD,WD 1TB Black HDD, SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB

Previous Monitor I want to VESA mount: LG 29UB55-B 29" Ultrawide 1080p 60Hz IPS

Thank you for all the suggestions!

I looked all of them up but the main issue I have is that the cases aren't available locally (I live in Cambodia btw)

It appears as though ITX builds aren't too popular here, but I've found other components like ITX motherboards and cooling fans very easily.

1 hour ago, Br3tt96 said:

Silverstone has the best micro itx cases. IMHO

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CY9596U?tag=fd251-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

This case can't be shipped to my location which makes things very difficultimage.png.992330cd6fa153008c16a56532dc88f9.png

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

I'd actually recommend building in a Node 202/ Silverstone RVX01/02/03 or ML08 as they all give you the rough shape/size of the Trident but omit the Tempered glass which is much more prone to possibly breaking on a carry-on luggage fort a plane.

I'm looking into these ones but I'm unsure which one to actually get (I'll likely get it shipped to my location) 

I was wondering what your suggestion was for portability, along with relatively high end components and the option for future upgradability.

The ML08 is currently my first choice. 

1 hour ago, Jason 57 said:

I don't know if the airlines have changed their policy, but I took a Rosewill Gaming R7 (full mid tower) as my personal item back in 2009.

It fit under the seat. so I was allowed.

A couple of people asked about it.

I just recommend you don't carry the keyboard or other cables in your carry-on luggage.

Mine got tested for explosives. (the PCB and all the cables on X-ray)

But I would avoid the glass side panels.

That's actually really surprising to hear, though the general consensus seems to be that it's no longer allowed on planes. I'll keep that in mind though, thank you!

12 minutes ago, Annsswer said:

I'm looking into these ones but I'm unsure which one to actually get (I'll likely get it shipped to my location) 

I was wondering what your suggestion was for portability, along with relatively high end components and the option for future upgradability.

The ML08 is currently my first choice. 

They all have nearly similar support for high end hardware and upgradability, but the Node 202, RVZ01 and 03 are able to hold 2.5" slot cards. The RVZ01, 02 and ML08 have a slim ODD bay, more useful for HTPC's than portable gaming cases.

The ML08 is arguably the most portable because there's an optional handle (The case that comes with it is actually ML08-H)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

I've travelled in the US and to/in/from China with a Dan case a4-sfx multiple times. I always have to take it out during the security check though. They just wanted to see whats inside the bag, never asked me to open it or give it to them.

Case: DAN Case A4-SFX v3
CPU: Intel i7-8700k @5.0GHz
Cooling: Noctua NH-D15
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-4266MHz 2x8GB
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z370-I
GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX1060-O6G
Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold
Display(s): LG 34UC88
Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon
Mouse: Logitech G703
Sound: Bose soundlink mini 2