tried to delid i7 6700k no post

Drevo

so basically I fcked uo and need new cpu/cpu+mobo combo

I'm pretty sure your CPU is damaged beyond repair, but thankfully 6th gen Intel runs on socket LGA 1151 meaning you can get yourself a used CPU from a newer generation so maybe a 7th or 8th gen. 

It's honestly sad to see a CPU die like this good luck man, I really feel sorry for you.

EDIT: I'm not 100% sure of my claim that 6th gen runs on LGA 1151 but i'm fairly certain, I didn't really check

EDIT 2: just checked apparently LGA 1151 had 2 revisions, the newer one supports 9th gen exclusively

Just now, Drevo said:

so basically I fcked uo and need new cpu/cpu+mobo combo

Probably just the cpu. The board looks fine.

It happens, dont feel bad. I killed an expensive FX-9590 the exact same way. Cut the PCB and done.

Did make a second attempt which was successful. 1 of 2 chips I've ever killed.

Killed an FX-4100 also. Because they are soldered, I had to use heat for removal. O litterally baked the chip. Lol. Smelled bad too.

we talking about i7 6700k which cost second handed 200euros and new r5 3600 with b550 mobo new cost 250euros

6 minutes ago, pipnina said:

Honestly all this is why I wouldn't even consider de-lidding unless I had practiced on junk CPUs prior (like the ones you can get from ebay for like £5), and would still have a PC to use if it went tits up.

How much benefit can you even get from this, isn't the IHS supposed to help cooling by providing a wide contact area? If it reduces heat transmission by any appreciable amount, wouldn't they make the lids out of copper instead?

basically intel's a bunch of cheap mofos, only went back to solder because of ryzen. these older cpus could reduce temps by 15-20C from a good delid. nowadays we have those little vice thingies that are supposed to give foolproof zero risk delids, the rockitcool one will relid too with their full copper ihs (copper ihs actually doesnt matter, just the extra area)

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

1 minute ago, Drevo said:

we talking about i7 6700k which cost second handed 200euros and new r5 3600 with b550 mobo new cost 250euros

Switching your platform could be a good idea, if you have the money to buy a new board and CPU, definitely do it. But maybe wait for Ryzen 4000 to launch on desktop for the prices to drop which could allow you to get a R7 3700x instead of a R5 3600

4 minutes ago, Drevo said:

That part is entirely up to you. Sell the old mobo to make up for the cost of a new Ryzen Rig.

part of why i used the delid tool when i did miine

Rockitt 88 worked like a charm

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

2 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

part of why i used the delid tool when i did miine

Rockitt 88 worked like a charm

Man I so wish that Dir 8auer guy made that tool many years earlier. I delidded many soldered cpus before that tool was invented :(

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Man I so wish that Dir 8auer guy made that tool many years earlier. I delidded many soldered cpus before that tool was invented :(

regarding razor i'd be less worried about damaging the CPU than I would be about damaging my fingers

i am presently unable to play my computer games because i sliced my index finger open with one of those jeweler's screwdriver 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Just now, Mister Woof said:

regarding razor i'd be less worried about damaging the CPU than I would be about damaging my fingers

i am presently unable to play my computer games because i sliced my index finger open with one of those jeweler's screwdriver 

Well you just put a piece of electrical tape over the second side, as seen by Dir 8auer in his videos. 

I dull mine on the concrete floor or sharpening stone.

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

Well you just put a piece of electrical tape over the second side, as seen by Dir 8auer in his videos. 

I dull mine on the concrete floor or sharpening stone.

You underestimate my clumsiness, I see

Just now, Mister Woof said:

You underestimate my clumsiness, I see

Lol. 

Ever need a delid done Woof, look me up.