Should I use Opera as my main browser

Should I Opera as my main browser. I like Opera but recently it had that Loan Shark scandal so I am not sure if I should trust it

My Laptop: A MacBook Air 

My Desktop: Don’t have one 

My Phone: An Honor 8s (although I don’t recommend it)

My Favourite OS: Linux

My Console: A Regular PS4

My Tablet: A Huawei Mediapad m5 

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Sandro Linux said:

Should I Opera as my main browser. I like Opera but recently it had that Loan Shark scandal so I am not sure if I should trust it

I personally use Opera GX as my main browser. It's the same as Opera with some fancy (aesthetic and performance) features like colored border or using less RAM.

Opera includes a free VPN and ad blocking, which can be useful. Other than that, it's pretty much the same as any other browser, which is just fine.

1 minute ago, Naijin said:

I personally use Opera GX as my main browser. It's the same as Opera with some fancy (aesthetic and performance) features like colored border or using less RAM.

Opera includes a free VPN and ad blocking, which can be useful. Other than that, it's pretty much the same as any other browser, which is just fine.

Ok I will try it as my main browser

Spoiler

I think it really depends on your ethics; the loan shark scandal was to do with other applications owned by the Opera company using misleading tactics to take peoples' money.

Of course there's the question of whether you want a company like that to have access to any of your data...

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

46 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Of course there's the question of whether you want a company like that to have access to any of your data...

I agree. Given how similar the experience from one browser to another is this is easily enough reason to not use Opera 

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

If you're ok with using Chinese software as your main browser,  yes.  If not,  no.

On 18 July 2016, Opera Software ASAannounced it had sold its browser, privacy and performance apps, and the Opera brand to Golden Brick CapitalPrivate Equity Fund I Limited Partnership (a consortium of Chinese investors led by Beijing Kunlun Tech Co and Qihoo 360) for an amount of US$600 million.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

If you're ok with using Chinese software as your main browser,  yes.  If not,  no.

Ok yeah I am fine with Chinese software

Spoiler