How to install official google chrome os on any pc/laptop (Brunch)

3 minutes ago, TheCoverUp said:

are you on the latest brunch ?

I am on k4.19 20201014

1 minute ago, mr_paradox said:

I am on k4.19 20201014

I don't think I can help you much with this.....so I will dm you a link of their discord...there they will help you with all the problems you may face...

want to install chrome os? here's how.

"If elevators hadn't been invented, all the CEOs and important people would have their offices on the first floor as a sign of status...........

....And the entry level employees would be up on the 80th floor."

1 minute ago, TheCoverUp said:

I don't think I can help you much with this.....so I will dm you a link of their discord...there they will help you with all the problems you may face...

Sure. Thank you so much though. After restarting, it started working again 😅

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I've tried this install and it's works fine on my xps 9360. No hardward issues at all everthing works fine. But I've got an issue with android apps, and I don't realy understand why (not fully understant Chrome OS yet). 

I try to install Netflix & Disney+ and their are not available on the Play Store or are not downloadable because of my unsupported device. After trying to understand why, I've realized my Chrome OS seems stuck in developper mode and no way to disable it. I don't have the "verification OS is OFF" message on boot up, BUT I can change the build channel to stable, beta or developper.

Off course I've already try to power wash my device and recovery from an iso but still stuck.

Does anyone have this behaviour and a fix ? 

Thanks.

Screenshot 2021-01-24 at 17.04.16.png

• 2 weeks later...

intel celeron N3350 ,2gb ram . Tried rammus , samus and coral (coral is almost exact spec wise as my laptop) , all 3 using their respective version 87 chrome os iso + 87 brunch and none of them worked , i get infinite bootloop at "loading brunch framework" . From there its just reboots over and over and over. Any help ?

• 1 month later...
On 1/24/2021 at 7:05 PM, oge3340 said:

Hi,

I've tried this install and it's works fine on my xps 9360. No hardward issues at all everthing works fine. But I've got an issue with android apps, and I don't realy understand why (not fully understant Chrome OS yet). 

I try to install Netflix & Disney+ and their are not available on the Play Store or are not downloadable because of my unsupported device. After trying to understand why, I've realized my Chrome OS seems stuck in developper mode and no way to disable it. I don't have the "verification OS is OFF" message on boot up, BUT I can change the build channel to stable, beta or developper.

Off course I've already try to power wash my device and recovery from an iso but still stuck.

Does anyone have this behaviour and a fix ? 

Thanks.

Screenshot 2021-01-24 at 17.04.16.png

Hello,

As described in the 5th entry of the Brunch FAQ, Brunch by default comes with developer mode on in order to make debugging & troubleshooting problems easier. I don't recommend disabling this (as it might disable your ability to update without using OTA) but if you're system is stable enough and you really need the application, you can disable it by editing the GRUB configuration (as described here) to remove the "cros_debug" option, and then powerwash your device. (When you powerwash all of your personal data on the device will be gone, but it doesn't disable without powerwashing, that's the only way.) And it should work!

• 1 month later...

I feel like Cloudready would be a much better option. You just download there software on your pc or mac, select the usb flash drive to put the install on and go in to the boot menu and it will install. It even lets your try it out and it even has VirtualBox preinstalled. I did this on my Grandpa's old laptop and it worked great.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/27/2020 at 11:19 PM, TheCoverUp said:

This is how to  install google chrome os on any pc/laptop using the brunch framework.this will install the official google chrome os. in this post I will cover single boot ,dual boot  and multi boot. 

the brunch framework is created by Sebanc.  

feel free to ask questions below!

hardware needed

prerequisites

Linux Mint (depends if needed by the method) : https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Rufus (again depends if needed by the method): https://rufus.ie/

grub2win (again depends if needed by the method):https://sourceforge.net/projects/grub2win/

Brunch (needed for all methods shown here): https://github.com/sebanc/brunch/rele...

ChromeOS recovery images can be downloaded from here and are needed : https://cros-updates-serving.appspot.com/ or cros.tech

gparted live (for help in partitioning and depends on which method you use):https://gparted.org/livecd.php

and finally your patience

ChromeOS recovery images

2 types of ChromeOS recovery images exist and use different device configuration mechanisms:

• non-unibuild images: configured for single device configurations like eve (Google Pixelbook) and nocturne (Google Pixel Slate) for example.
  • unibuild images: intended to manage multiple devices

recommended images

• "rammus" is the recommended image for devices with 4th generation Intel CPU and newer.
  • "samus" is the recommended image for devices with 3rd generation Intel CPU and older.
  • "grunt" is the image to use if you have supported AMD harware.

ChromeOS recovery images can be downloaded from here: https://cros-updates-serving.appspot.com/ or cros.tech

feel free to try other images too... try choosing a image with the closest match to your pc...but  for amd only AMD Stoney Ridge is supported with the grunt image only.

Install instructions 

You might need to edit the grub to complete the installation  and there are quite a few ways to do it... here I will show the methods..

From Linux

(i). using the grub costumizer

here are the commands how..

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:danielrichter2007/grub-customizer

$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get install grub-customizer

(ii)mount the efi ...

1. Create a directory to mount the EFI partition:

mkdir /tmp/efi_part
  1. Mount the partition 12 of your device to your EFI partition:

sudo mount /dev/< partition 12 of ChromeOS device > /tmp/efi_part
  1. Edit the file /tmp/efi_part/efi/boot/grub.cfg with your favorite editor (launched as root).
  2. Unmount the partition:

sudo umount /tmp/efi_part

From Windows(and If using grub2win method there will be a app mostly) 

1. Install notepad++ (https://notepad-plus-plus.org/)
  2. Look for the EFI partition in the Explorer and browse to the efi/boot folder.
  3. Edit the grub.cfg file with notepad++ (warning: editing this file with standard Notepad or Wordpad will render the file unusable and prevent GRUB from booting due to formatting issues)
  4. Add your specific kernel parameters at the end of the Linux line arguments.

From ChromeOS(only in single boot)

Run sudo edit-grub-config

multiboot./dual boot with linux

multiboot./dual boot

method using external usb

Requirements

• root access.
  • pv, tar and cgpt packages/binaries.

Install ChromeOS on a USB flash drive / SD card

1. Download the ChromeOS recovery image and extract it.
  2. Download the Brunch release corresponding to the ChromeOS recovery image version you have downloaded (from the GitHub release section).
  3. Open a terminal, navigate to the directory containing the package.
  4. Extract it:

tar zxvf brunch_< version >.tar.gz
  1. Identify your USB flash drive / SD card device name e.g. /dev/sdX (Be careful here as the installer will erase all data on the target drive)
  2. Install ChromeOS on the USB flash drive / SD card:

sudo bash chromeos-install.sh -src < path to the ChromeOS recovery image > -dst < your USB flash drive / SD card device. e.g. /dev/sdX >
  1. Reboot your computer and boot from the USB flash drive / SD card (refer to your computer manufacturer's online resources).
  2. (Secure Boot only) A blue screen saying "Verfification failed: (15) Access Denied" will appear upon boot and you will have to enroll the secure boot key by selecting "OK->Enroll key from disk->EFI-SYSTEM->brunch.der->Continue". Reboot your computer and boot again from the USB flash drive / SD card.

The GRUB menu should appear, select ChromeOS and after a few minutes (the Brunch framework is building itself on the first boot), you should be greeted by ChromeOS startup screen. You can now start using ChromeOS.

Install it to the hdd

ChromeOS partition scheme is very specific which makes it difficult to dual boot. One solution to circumvent that is to keep ChromeOS in a disk image on the hard drive and run it from there.

Make sure you have an ext4 or NTFS partition with at least 14gb of free space available and no encryption or create one (refer to online resources).

1. Perform the steps 1 to 4 as described in the previous section (Install ChromeOS on a USB flash drive / SD card), boot to Chrome OS and open crosh(Chrome OS terminal).
  2. Mount the unencrypted ext4 or NTFS partition on which we will create the disk image to boot from:

mkdir -p ~/tmpmount
sudo mount < the destination partition (ext4 or ntfs) which will contain the disk image > ~/tmpmount
  1. Create the ChromeOS disk image:

sudo bash chromeos-install.sh -src < path to the ChromeOS recovery image > -dst ~/tmpmount/chromeos.img -s < size you want to give to your chromeos install in GB (system partitions will take around 10GB, the rest will be for your data) >
  1. Copy the GRUB configuration which appears in the terminal at the end of the process (between lines with stars) to either:
  • your hard disk GRUB install if you have one (refer to you distro's online resources).
  • the USB flash drive / SD card GRUB config file (then boot from USB flash drive / SD card and choose "boot from disk image" in the GRUB menu),
  1. Unmout the destination partition

sudo umount ~/tmpmount
  1. (secure boot only) Download the secure boot key "brunch.der" in this branch (master) of the repository and enroll it by running the command:

sudo mokutil --import brunch.der
  1. Reboot your computer and boot to the bootloader with the modified GRUB config.

The GRUB menu should appear, select "ChromeOS (boot from disk image)" and after a few minutes (the Brunch framework is building itself on the first boot), you should be greeted by ChromeOS startup screen. You can now start using ChromeOS from your HDD.

Dual boot with windows 

do the same steps till copying the grub config from the above post 

but do it on a live usb version of linux instead of local installation.

in the point of copying the grub config close the window when it opens..copy the config and save it as a text file somewhere you know and easily shareable..

then boot into windows and copy the text file to somewhere memorable.

now download and install grub2win  from the above links

now paste the grub config from the text to a grub entry by creating a new grub entry in the grub2win

save it and reboot now you can boot into chrome os! 

single boot 

method 1

Requirements

• root access.
  • pv, tar and cgpt packages/binaries.

Install ChromeOS on a USB flash drive / SD card

1. Download the ChromeOS recovery image and extract it.
  2. Download the Brunch release corresponding to the ChromeOS recovery image version you have downloaded (from the GitHub release section).
  3. Open a terminal, navigate to the directory containing the package.
  4. Extract it:

tar zxvf brunch_< version >.tar.gz
  1. Identify your USB flash drive / SD card device name e.g. /dev/sdX (Be careful here as the installer will erase all data on the target drive)
  2. Install ChromeOS on the USB flash drive / SD card:

sudo bash chromeos-install.sh -src < path to the ChromeOS recovery image > -dst < your USB flash drive / SD card device. e.g. /dev/sdX >
  1. Reboot your computer and boot from the USB flash drive / SD card (refer to your computer manufacturer's online resources).
  2. (Secure Boot only) A blue screen saying "Verfification failed: (15) Access Denied" will appear upon boot and you will have to enroll the secure boot key by selecting "OK->Enroll key from disk->EFI-SYSTEM->brunch.der->Continue". Reboot your computer and boot again from the USB flash drive / SD card.

The GRUB menu should appear, select ChromeOS and after a few minutes (the Brunch framework is building itself on the first boot), you should be greeted by ChromeOS startup screen. You can now start using ChromeOS from the usb .

Install ChromeOS on HDD from ChromeOS

1. Boot your ChromeOS USB flash drive / SD card.
  2. Open the ChromeOS shell (CTRL+ALT+T and enter shell at the invite)
  3. Identify your HDD device name e.g. /dev/sdX (Be careful here as the installer will erase all data on the target drive)
  4. Install ChromeOS to HDD:

sudo chromeos-install -dst < your HDD device. e.g. /dev/sdX >
  1. Shutdown your computer and remove your ChromeOS USB flash drive / SD card.

Note: Even if you boot from GRUB on your HDD, if you have a ChromeOS USB flash drive / SD card inserted, the initramfs will boot from it in priority.

The GRUB menu should appear, select ChromeOS and after a few minutes (the Brunch framework is building itself on the first boot), you should be greeted by ChromeOS startup screen. You can now start using ChromeOS

This is pretty cool this even works. I have this running on my 14" Vizio that runs a core i5 -3317U and 4 GB ram + 128mSATA ssd, and its the best chromebook for the price now. I was amazed everything including wifi, bluetooth and webcam work out of box.

messages_0.jpeg

On 5/10/2021 at 11:40 AM, brentdahamster said:

I feel like Cloudready would be a much better option. You just download there software on your pc or mac, select the usb flash drive to put the install on and go in to the boot menu and it will install. It even lets your try it out and it even has VirtualBox preinstalled. I did this on my Grandpa's old laptop and it worked great.

True but (I also run cloudready on other laptops and enjoy it) but Brunch allows you to get Android apps.

• 5 months later...

hey..i had installed chrome os on my lenovo ideapad s145 ,amd cpu with brunch frame work.

the problem is that the chrome os has no wifi access...only internet can be used by usb tethering..give some technics to handle this