Winlogon crash when transferring data over lan

MrNope

Hi,

for no better use I have my old Optiplex 755 set up as pseudoNAS. It runs windows 7 pro, I have shared folders over LAN. Issue is that when I'm transferring bigger ammount of data (1GB+), the winlogon crashes and system cuts off all incoming/outgoing data over LAN. RDP cannot be used at that time and I cannot log into the system even the direct way by going to the machine and use keyboard and monitor. HW is anciend but it's not maxing out while data transfer and there is no active antivirus at this time.

HW setup: C2 quad Q9400, 4 GB DDR2, Radeon HD 2400 XT, stock MB, network over MB gigabit LAN

Thanks for all hints

My hint would be a broken Windwos installation...

Or driver Issue

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

2 hours ago, Anghammarad said:

My hint would be a broken Windwos installation...

Or driver Issue

OK, drivers sholud be fine, they are reinstalled from ground up to the latest version. But the broken windows installation is something, that I kinda didn't even considered, sounds like it can be it. Winlogon is something that is part of the system and should be working no matter what.

Thanks, I'll try and reinstall

Update: Before I reinstalled the system, I wanted to investigate what is the exact issue. The logon failure message was just consequence, not the cause. The main issue is the RAM. All files transfered over LAN are cached into the RAM, and they stays there until the system crashes because of the lack of memory. I was playing with the superfetch, prefetch, that suppose to cache these files, but no change. Offline file sharing mode and caching settings in drive menus also didn't help. I downloaded RamMap and even the "Empty Standby List" option didn't do anything. "Mapped files" are still firmly wedged into my memory. We can try absolutely everything, any ideas?