Louis Rossman's bike caught on fire due to battery fault

Jenko32

When it happened they just arrived home and were entering the building so they got away in time.

Look these videos if you want to hear more about what happened

For people who don’t feel like or don’t have time to watch them, the batteries from his electric bike lit on fire when got off of it. 
He believes that it is because they were being cooled by the wind while being ridden but as soon as he got home and parked it (and turned everything off) they overheated and bad things happened. It was a pack he got from aliexpress, I believe lithium ion.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

I dont feel like watching a 50 minute video right now so I am going to assume this is because he used shitty battery pack that had shitty cells and/or shitty wiring. Am I correct?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

4 minutes ago, Levent said:

I dont feel like watching a 50 minute video right now so I am going to assume this is because he used shitty battery pack that had shitty cells and/or shitty wiring. Am I correct?

Shitty batteries? But Louis Rossman uses only the finest counterfeit batteries that have the fake Apple logo scribbled out with permanent marker! /s

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Levent said:

From what I understand yes. Bad cells (maybe lack of cooling and cells themselves were fine? idk how battery’s work) that overheated and caught on fire.

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Sounds like a bad bms. 

dang, I can't believe Apple would try to assassinate Louis like that

That fire looks crazy O.o, I am glad everyone seems to be fine.

Would love to hear what could have caused this in the end??

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

53 minutes ago, minibois said:

dang, I can't believe Apple would try to assassinate Louis like that

That fire looks crazy O.o, I am glad everyone seems to be fine.

Would love to hear what could have caused this in the end??

I don't think we'll know accurately what happened as an autopsy is not doable. From what he said the battery main switch, which switch off if the current draw is more than 63A, was just turned off since they just arrived to destination and the battery pack just started shooting flames

The pack was specifically made for him by an Aliexpress vendor, as he didn't find anything premade for what he needed. Both battery pack were made for 80A but he pulled only peak 40-50A (reminding that there's a switch that limited to 63A)

He did the math and there was about 2.4A per battery, and they should be rated for 7A continuous

12 minutes ago, Caroline said:

What's the point of this again?

if you want a bicycle with an engine you can simply get a motorcycle or a scooter :|

E bikes are crazy efficient while being not all that expensive. you can get 30-40 miles of range at 30mph for 1k. and your running cost is pennies per miles. they are often above 200 mpg (equivalent)

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

I loved the Befang videos, thanks for finding the unlisted video by Erica. That door got truly roasted! 

Honestly, Louis is quite a skilled electrician, so I doubt that he wired it that wrong. Although it is also quite experimental... 

I think it was probably just a dodgy battery pack, possibly wired wrong internally, been as most large lithium batteries are just a bunch of AA's strapped together. 

The stuff you can get legitimately can still get a Befang up to 40mph or so, but that's probably not quite as exciting as the insane custom Befang that set on fire... 🔥 

I've been watching his ebike videos for a while and what I've noticed is that his ebikes are fast for sure, but they don't seem particularly well made. Loads of exposed wiring, loads of silicone, and loads of straps/rubber bands to hold everything together. 

I believe this particular accident was most likely caused by an internal short in his extremely cheap batteries. (which he also mounted in the most afwul way directly onto his hardtail using straps.) Combine very cheap batteries with very quick and dirty assembly of the bike, and well, that's what happens.

Edit: I have a DIY ebike myself, and I like to use 6s LiPo batteries for RC vehicles, as they seem to be rather safe and I can easily remove them from the bike if stuff goes wrong. Their capacity only goes up to about 500Wh, but I can get more range by carrying a few and swapping them every now and then.

16 hours ago, Joshlikescola said:

I loved the Befang videos, thanks for finding the unlisted video by Erica. That door got truly roasted! 

Honestly, Louis is quite a skilled electrician, so I doubt that he wired it that wrong. Although it is also quite experimental... 

I think it was probably just a dodgy battery pack, possibly wired wrong internally, been as most large lithium batteries are just a bunch of AA's strapped together. 

The stuff you can get legitimately can still get a Befang up to 40mph or so, but that's probably not quite as exciting as the insane custom Befang that set on fire... 🔥 

He’s not a skilled electrician, like he’s really not. He can follow a manual and that’s about it. I doubt he’ll be able to find out why this bike caught fire because he doesn’t fault find he just replaces components. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

On 8/27/2020 at 3:48 PM, zeusthemoose said:

He believes that it is because they were being cooled by the wind while being ridden but as soon as he got home and parked it (and turned everything off) they overheated and bad things happened. It was a pack he got from aliexpress, I believe lithium ion.

but how does a battery continue to heat up when it's not in use? short circuit?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

31 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

He’s not a skilled electrician, like he’s really not. He can follow a manual and that’s about it. I doubt he’ll be able to find out why this bike caught fire because he doesn’t fault find he just replaces components

Well one would wonder, if I doesn't find the faults, how he knows which components need to be replaced.

In all seriousness... no he's not a super-talented electrician or anything, but he's significantly better at it than the Apple Store "Genii" and the way he thinks seems quite logical/analytical.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

2 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Well one would wonder, if I doesn't find the faults, how he knows which components need to be replaced.

A book ;) 

2 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

In all seriousness... no he's not a super-talented electrician or anything, but he's significantly better at it than the Apple Store "Genii" and the way he thinks seems quite logical/analytical.

Tbf if you go to an Apple store a few will try and charge you as much as possible or else why else would you get AppleCare :) 

3 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

He’s not a skilled electrician, like he’s really not. He can follow a manual and that’s about it. I doubt he’ll be able to find out why this bike caught fire because he doesn’t fault find he just replaces components. 

No that's what the apple store does, they'd rather charge you to replace a whole part than actually find the fault and replace a component.

Just now, Blademaster91 said:

No that's what the apple store does, they'd rather charge you to replace a whole part than actually find the fault and replace a component.

But he doesn’t find the fault if a component is blown he’ll just replace it rather than find the fault so it doesn’t blow again. With how he repairs devices they’ll just break again when the conditions repeat. 

Second time his electric bike catch on fire. I don't remember if the first one was also a "bafang". But either way, makes you question their quality if they catch fire like that.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

6 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Second time his electric bike catch on fire. I don't remember if the first one was also a "bafang". But either way, makes you question their quality if they catch fire like that.

He electrifies bikes himself. The motor that he uses is manufactured by Bafang, but the part that caught fire this time (and last time too) was (one of) the batteries.

4 hours ago, Moonzy said:

It didn’t heat up but just stopped being cooled. When he was riding the wind was cooling but when he stopped (and maybe the batteries where still on for a minute?) it had nothing to cool it down so it overheated.

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

On 8/27/2020 at 1:03 AM, zeusthemoose said:

From what I understand yes. Bad cells (maybe lack of cooling and cells themselves were fine? idk how battery’s work) that overheated and caught on fire.

Not all Li-Ion cells are the same. There are tradeoffs to be made depending on current demands, capacity, size, etc. Higher capacity cells tend to trade internal resistance, which leads to increased heat under high amp loads. Variances in quality can also impact internal resistance, even between different cells within a pack. 

What I suspect occurred may be that an individual Cell within the pack had been pushed too far low into its voltage and sustained internal damage. Though the voltage of the pack as a whole may be within spec, it’s not unheard of for voltages to vary widely between individual cells (aided by variances in internal resistance), with the potential for one to kick it. You sometimes see this with NI-MH packs as well when a cell goes into reverse polarity from being pushed too far. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Shoulda bought a V8

10 hours ago, Moonzy said:

The same way combustion engines work. Air doesn't hit the radiator (batteries in this case) and the water temperature goes up even if the engine is off.

7 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

A book ;)

The Bible probably, since Apple doesn't release schematics for anything this days.

6 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

But he doesn’t find the fault if a component is blown he’ll just replace it rather than find the fault so it doesn’t blow again. With how he repairs devices they’ll just break again when the conditions repeat. 

The fault is 80% of the time Apple's "think different" engineering (components not cooled properly, display cables that break because too short etc)

The other 20% is costumers straight up lying about spilling something over it

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15